Hunt for Red October Question

05-10-06

Actually, Christian Slater didn't even attempt an accent in Prince of Theives.

Worse accent of all time??

My vote goes to Tom Cruise in "Far and Away" which might have been more enjoyable had it not been for his atrocious Oirish accent. It's actually hurt to listen to him.

Next worse would be Kenau Reeves' English accent in Dracula....he went ot Oxford, England to "learn" the accent properly. Guess he had ear-phones on at the time.

Best attempt at an accent: Cate Blanchett in the Veronica Guerin movie...superb and natural.

Liam

You're forgetting Christopher Lambert's "Scottish" accent in Highlander - what the hell was that supposed to be? Although I'll admit, he did sound vaguely Scottish for one single line - "I can bloody well walk away from here!" when he's being banished from his village. The rest of the time, he sounds vaguely like a Belgian trying to do a Cajun accent by way of Italy...

Now. now... You either get acting talent or you get accent. If the story is good, and the acting is good, screw the accent!! :rofl:

(This in regards to Connery in Red October)

Nobody mentioned Harrison Ford in "K12" (oddly, the man that later filled in for Baldwin, and also in another sub movie!) That had the acting talent but lacked either the accent or the writing.

The thing that "clicks" with Connery's accent is that he isn't really speaking with too much of an accent. He almost sounds as if he's just speaking with his slight Scottish/Irish burr (I'm sorry, I don't know which it is). He does change the way a few words sound to give it an eastern lilt, but he's not really forcing a bad accent. Unfortunately, Ford does force it in K12.

"12 metres longer than the standard Typhoon, 3 metres wider"

This has always bugged me. I'm no naval architect or engineer, but I know that it's a relatively simple matter to lengthen a submarine: they're built in segments anyway, and that's how the first missile subs were built (inserting an extra part in the middle). The rest can be left mostly as-is. But change both the length AND the beam and you might as well design a new sub from scratch.

OK, it's not like I lose sleep over it, but it has always bugged me. :cheers:

This has always bugged me. I'm no naval architect or engineer, but I know that it's a relatively simple matter to lengthen a submarine: they're built in segments anyway, and that's how the first missile subs were built (inserting an extra part in the middle). The rest can be left mostly as-is. But change both the length AND the beam and you might as well design a new sub from scratch.

OK, it's not like I lose sleep over it, but it has always bugged me. :crying:

Pressumably the increase in the beam is the fairing for the caterpillar dirve, which would essentially be scabbed onto hull/segments, prior to the application of anechoic tiles.

...........tis just a movie mind.

You're forgetting Christopher Lambert's "Scottish" accent in Highlander - what the hell was that supposed to be? Although I'll admit, he did sound vaguely Scottish for one single line - "I can bloody well walk away from here!" when he's being banished from his village. The rest of the time, he sounds vaguely like a Belgian trying to do a Cajun accent by way of Italy...

06-10-06

Well, wasn't that the the big joke about this movie (which is quite the cool little movie)...that Sean Connery played a Spanaird in a heavy Scottish accent and Christopher Lambert played a Scot in a heavy Belgian accent?? :lol:

Liam

Pressumably the increase in the beam is the fairing for the caterpillar dirve, which would essentially be scabbed onto hull/segments, prior to the application of anechoic tiles.

...........tis just a movie mind.

Actually I wondered that too. Although I can't recall ever getting a clear view of the construction/design.

06-10-06

Well, wasn't that the the big joke about this movie (which is quite the cool little movie)...that Sean Connery played a Spanaird in a heavy Scottish accent and Christopher Lambert played a Scot in a heavy Belgian accent?? :rofl:

Liam

Well sure, and the movie's a favorite of mine, but...was Lambert even using a Belgian accent? It was just weird...closer to Klingon that anything else. "Lots of different places" indeed. :blink:

You mean to say that it was really an old style Klingon crew? I need to get a new disc.

Can you imagine what it would be like to be on one of those subs when they do a quick surface like the one in the movie? Dropping back onto the water must be quite a ride. My brother in law used to be on the Connie and they used to get out on his missile launcher whenever one of their subs would do one.

Actually I wondered that too. Although I can't recall ever getting a clear view of the construction/design.

Actually just remembered that the Typhoon is a a multiple hull vessel so only the outer hull would require modification (widening) to accomodate the caterpillar drives, which looking at the movie again were not scabbbed on as first thought, but housed within, pressumable alongisde the two main internal pressure hulls.

Edited by Mandrake

Good morning ! Perhaps I can add some accurate notes to the Red October thread.

Way back then my little shop was making bunches of submarine models for the US Navy, I was approached by a small production outfit about doing Red October.

To make a long story short, my company and the little production company( Madfield Productions) pretty much were just "used" by the producer of the movie to get the USN to sign on to the project, something they were willing to do only because they thought they would be working with people known in the submarine community who would adhere to the security climate of the times, and promote a good image for the service.

I built the first 4 foot visual concept models of the Red October, the deal got done, I got screwed ( never paid in any way)for all the work I did, that's Hollywood.The Navy had the awful incident described above with the tug, the movie was cool but rather silly and we all put one foot in front of the other and get on with our lives.

I actually still have the original plug for the model rotting away here in the shop somewhere, and a very early draft of the script I was sent .Maybe I should put it on ebay, that's the only pay I'll ever see for the thing.

I guess that's as close to right from the horses' mouth as you'll get.

Paul Fisher

Hmm, any way of getting figures on the model (basic measurements, scale, etc.)? I have a Red October kitbashed from a DML Typhoon kit, and I'm thinking about redoing it, considering it was based on screenshots and images of the filming mini.

Here's a few photos of the model in question.

Scottish/Irish burr

Scottish - Edinburgh to be precise .. he may have some Irish decendents - , but he was born and bred in "Auld Reekie" ... (Edinburgh , when the wind is in the right direction smells of brewing beer.....hence the nickname!)

He almost sounds as if he's just speaking with his slight Scottish/Irish burr (I'm sorry, I don't know which it is).

Yeah, Scottish. Definitely Scottish.

sean_connery_01.jpg

I read a news story on the BBC last year that they were talking about having him record the elevator announcements for the new Scottish Parliament building. Can you imagine?

"Shtep lively, lad, the doorzh are closhing!"

"Fairsht floor!"

"Third floor vizhitor'sh gallery, pleashe obsherve shilence when parliament'sh in shesshion!"

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have the DVD of Hunt for Red October (which by the way the movie is missing many key parts from the book) in the special features it shows them filiming the underwater sequences with scale models of a Typhoon, '688 (Los Angeles) and an Alfa so that answers that bit.