Hasegawa 1/48 P-40N Geronimo question

While going thru my late fathers WWII Army Air Corp photos I found a small black and white photo of him standing in front of the left wing of Geronimo.Where was the plane based in the Pacific.Which islands?What were the exterior colors?What paint is a good match? He didn't talk much about his service while alive.Now I want to build the Hasegawa 1/48 kit with those markings.Any aftermarket decals?Thanks for any help. ;) to the vets

If I remember correctly, "Geronimo" was with the 45th FS, 15th FG flown by a Lt. Campbell (?). Where she was based is beyond me. As for colors, I have read recently (I too have been on a P-40 kick as of late :D ) that it has often been called sand or Pink ("Desert Pink" IIRC) over pale blue undersides. However, some have argued that perhaps the undersurfaces were painted in neutral grey? Sorry, I have no idea what the FS numbers are.

Here is a neat "looksee" inside the box, and the decals look to be quite nice:

http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/allies/h...9088preview.htm

I am not sure if anyone makes aftermarket decals for "Geronimo"?

Sorry, I guess I am not much help at all come to think of it :cheers: !

Regards,

Don

When I was in the 44th TFS at Kadena I was involved with one of my pilots in a project to trace the aircraft of the squadron and build a history to be added to the 18th TFW. We found a couple photos in our archives of some P-40s. They appeared to be O.D. with grey bottoms and carried white on the leading edge of the wings and possibly the tail.

I can't vouch for the undersurface color, but the upper color was "Desert Tan." I'm not sure who's got that color, I THINK Xtracolor and Modelmaster have it.

AMT's P-40N had the markings for Geronimo, IIRC.

Here is an Eagle Strike sheet with Geronimo

http://www.eaglestrikeproductions.com/cgi-...&dclimg=es48191

The camo is said to be Desert Sand and Azure Blue for the AAF fighters based on Normmea (?) Island. The same scheme is on most of the P-39Q kits out there as a break from OD/NG

But I think the main P-40N boxing from Hasegawa includes the markings OOB.

HTH

Matt

Edited by Matt Roberts

MM makes two sand colors - one modern and one ANA 616 (MM number 2053) That shade is a good place to start and then tint as desired to achieve the right color. As for the undersides, I just did a B-24D Strawberry B!tch which some sources list as having Azure Blue undersides (ANA 609, MM 2048) but from references ive seen and a few articles ive read, at least for the B-24s, it was rare and only one squadron that had the blue undersides. maybe the P-40 was the same way? (Neutral Gray FS 36270, MM B-1725)

HTH

• 10 years later...