Busy painting the landing gear but on the crappy instructions for my ESCI Crusader i can't make out what parts are white and what are silver? :thumbsup:

Anyone have any links or point me to any pics that show this closeup?

Oh one further q: Was the color of the F-8E USN version Light Gull Grey over Insignia White?

Any idea what the FS colours for them are?

TIA

Kevin

Edited by model_madness

Kevin,

Check the walkaround section here on ARC http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1...non/walk597.htm In addition, check some of Superheat's posts here on ARC; he flew the F-8 and has posted pics of the two types of landing gear, and explained the differences, used on the various versions of the F-8. The color for the gray is FS#36440 (light gull gray), the white was white.

Regards,

Murph

Hi Kevin,

Here are a couple photos to show you what should be silver. The oleos whould be a highly polished silver. There were usually aluminum servicing placards with black lettering/illustrations on the main gear struts, but not always.

MainOleos.jpg

NoseOleo.jpg

As Murph says, the top side was 36440 Light Gull Gray, the undersides white. The white was gloss, but I would recommend a semit-gloss as looking more realistic. Hope it helps

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by Superheat

Hey Tom cheers for the pics :whistle: - that's EXACTLY what i needed to see.

Now i know who to come to for more Crusader queries :yahoo:

By the way, i bought Xtracrylix FS16440 ( Light GUll Grey ) which i was going to use and where on the instruction sheets. Is this similar enough to the FS36440 ( Glss Gull Grey ) you quoted?

Hi Kevin,

16440 is the same color, it is just gloss instead of flat. The first number in the Federal Standard color numbering system refers to the reflectance, ie flat to gloss 1 is gloss, 2 is semi-gloss, 3 is flat. Xtracolor/crylix does most of their paints as glosses to ease the decallling process by eliminating the need to gloss coat the model. If you ever buy any Gunze Sangyo light gull grey, they label it as 26440, semi-gloss, again the same color (at least it is supposed to be!).

I would have to say that Habu2 is correct, the gear on the ESCI kit is not all that accurate, in fact the kit is a very long way from being the best 1/72nd F-8 kit out there, but it will certainly look the part when done.

Cheers,

Tom