B-26B Invader STARTED!!

Thank you very much for your kind words gang - I'm afraid I'm suspending work on modeling for now as it's just too darn cold out there. Hopefully I will be able to finish the 7th Chad in time when I get going again.

In the meantime i will be following the KWGB progress with great interest!

All the best and a very merry Christmas to you all!

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete

I'm the other side near(-ish) London (Farnborough!) After all I've eaten I'd be lucky to drag myself out for Club night! Were you at the nationals?

Well due to an unexpected mild spell and 14 days off work I have made some more progress!

I'm doing the 7th Chad as it was shortly after Lt Col Fortney would have taken possession of it so the weathering is toned down and the red is much brighter

15.jpg

16.jpg

Here's the finished engine. I know the igniter cables only service the forward plugs on each cylinder but that was as much wiring as I wanted to do in 1/48th before I went cross-eyed!

18.jpg

I hope to finish this soon.

Hope everyone had a merry Christmas and a great New Year (so far!)

All the best,

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

Thanks for your encouragement. It has spurred me on to more or less finish off the 7th Chadwick - here she is with just a few bits to add (antenna, windshield wipers etc). This shows the diorama elements in position as well, which obviously need finishing:

19.jpg

The figures are from Verlinden and posed appropriately - just the heads to go. The work platform is scratchbuilt from garden wire and solder using pictures from the Osprey book. The base is polyfilla and humbrol/tamiya paints on a picture frame.

20.jpg

Here's a close up of the grease monkey working a replacement exhaust manifold (I made that bit up) - as the great Shep Paine once said, "Airplane subjects on the ground do one of two things - get maintained or crash!"

21.jpg

Here's the other side showing the open gunners door:

22.jpg

Here's a view of the 8-gun nose:

23.jpg

I will post the finished pics in the Completed thread (hopefully before the deadline!) - enjoy! (I'll try them on a lower flash setting next time as the pics are a bit drowned out).

As this is probably my last posting on this subject I would like to thank Greg for doing such a good job of modding this GB, especially for his unflagging encouragement at every stage.

Thanks also to everyone who contributed for your inspiring, excellent models, and the very kind encouragements throughout the build. [;)]

For someone who hasn't a creative bone in his body outside modelling, this whole experience has really helped me express myself, push my skills and improve. I will definitely want to participate in an ARC groupbuild again.

All the very best and thanks again,

Alan. [:cheers:]

Wow is right Alan, you did a stunning job with this project.

However,the superb detailing, amazing weathering, and realistic diorama setting make me seriously doubt what you say about not having a creative bone in your body. From where I sit you are dripping with creativity.

I've enjoyed watching your builds progress, Thanks.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

:cheers:

Awesome build Alan, an amazing diorama and beautiul model also. The scratchbuilding certainly shows through and a very realistic setting. Wish I could make dio bases as realistic as that myself!

One point which took my eye, are the m/guns red on the real Chadwick or is it the photo throwing me off?

Whatever thats a real piece of art, well done.

Doc :cheers:

Cheers very much for all your support and kind comments. :bandhead2:

are the m/guns red on the real Chadwick or is it the photo throwing me off?

Doc - all my reference photos show the gun barrel sheaths were painted the same red as the rest of the nose.

I just realise i forgot chocks, static discharge wicks and about three empty rocket rails on each wing. :thumbsup: Small potatoes tho'!

All the best,

Al