1/48 Italeri V-22 Osprey

I've got one "in progress" (been that way for a couple years, it's now getting some paint), so I'll be following this build, because I've got another one in the stash to be built as an operational Osprey. Probably get some Flying Leatherneck decals for it, too.

From what I remember, the interior is pretty spartan, and there are some ejector pin marks and other little fixes for the cargo area.

Well, it's big, affordable, and the only Osprey in 1/48th. Kind of a take it or leave it scenario. Yes, the interior is very bare. But, if the kit included a more detailed one, we'd potentially be talking double the price. As it stands now, you can build a very decent model buttoned up. Mega-detailers and scratchbuilders still have the option for dressing up the cabin with the myriad of hydraulic lines and conduits. For those without the scratchbuilding bug, I think we will potentially see some resin super-detail sets in the next couple years as this aircraft gets more visibility and the last Phrogs are finally gone. Aftermarket decals are already in the works.

Even though the Italeri box states this kit is the "latest, updated" version, that info is at least a few years old, and some minor tweaks will be needed for a production bird. Check out photo references online, or purchase the outstandingly detailed walkaround CD from Dave Roof.

Andy

That doesn't sound too bad. Actually sounds like the larger monogram birds (which I build alot of). Well, another box for the stash. Are you happy with yourself? You were supposed to say, "no, don't buy it. Terrible kit." B)

John

I've supplied some information to Royale Resin as he is planning on some resin updates. He currently has wheels available. Flying Leathernecks Decals has two sheets coming that will cover all six of the current Osprey squadrons.

Dave

Santa, is that you? I've been good so far this year.

Someone needs to do a cockpit/interior/exterior update set for this kit...

Cobra Company, you listening? :thumbsup:

Why doesn't HAS or TAM do a cool MV-22 or CV-22? 1/48 or bigger. I am pretty certain that in 1/48 it would be a big seller if it were from TAM. I'd even go for a 1/32................big beast.....not enough shelf room yet.

Why doesn't HAS or TAM do a cool MV-22 or CV-22? 1/48

I would prefer not to pay $70 for a kit of this bus, as much as I like the real thing...and all the "what if" possibilities for other varients (USCG or Canadian SAR come to mind)

Why doesn't HAS or TAM do a cool MV-22 or CV-22? 1/48 or bigger. I am pretty certain that in 1/48 it would be a big seller if it were from TAM. I'd even go for a 1/32................big beast.....not enough shelf room yet.

A few reasons why the havn't, but first props to Italeri for doing it in 1/72 and 1/48 then revising the kit to a more modern version.

1. It just hit the fleet a year ago, so changes are happening. We complain enough about things not even made anymore, you want them to hit a moving target.

2. Popularity of Subject matter in the real world. A lot of haters still out there.

3. Popularity of Subject matter in the modeling world, you could make a lot more off a AH-1G and yet we still don't have one.

4. Italeri beat them to the punch, so unless they charge big bucks they can't out sell them.

5. Tam doesn't do larger scale helo, Hase only if it has big guns. Look how long it took to get a CH-46, CH-47, and CH-53 in 1/72 and 1/48.

Maybe in a 5-10 years when most of the fleet is flying them and put some nice artwork we may see it but until then Italeri will be it.

I am surprised that we will soon have two decal sheets for the V-22, happy but surprised.

Edited by Tank
Someone needs to do a cockpit/interior/exterior update set for this kit...

Cobra Company, you listening? :bandhead2:

Listening, yes. Wanting to, yes. Able to, no. A one man band (with one arm) can't get everything done.

If someone wants to master it, maybe I can get it into production. If someone else does it first, GOOD on them.

Chief Snake

Hey Guys,

As Dave already stated, I am working on V-22 sets. The wheels were first, and the next set will be replacement props. Hopefully the cockpit and another big conversion set will be after that. I am just trying to get as many ref pics as I can before I get to much into the project.

Cheers,

-Doug :)

Hey Guys,

As Dave already stated, I am working on V-22 sets. The wheels were first, and the next set will be replacement props. Hopefully the cockpit and another big conversion set will be after that. I am just trying to get as many ref pics as I can before I get to much into the project.

Cheers,

-Doug :)

Hi dave

do you do UH-1H sets 2?

if yes actually i would like to know

and see what i can odder from you

Hey Guys,

Cheers,

-Doug :lol:

DUDE!!! :thumbsup:

No pressure, but what's a ballpark release for the cockpit and conversion set?

Hi John,

I wish I could say, but I don't know. I don't ever set a release date because if I did I would never make it (Murphy's Law and all that :) I will post some updates once I make some decent progress, but at the moment I have about 10 other projects I am trying to finish up for my next set of releases.

Cheers,

-Doug :whistle:

Thank's guys, you gave me the inspiration that I needed continue with my V22..

I've just passed the stadium of finishing the interior, and I'm now working on some scratchbuilted beams which should make the roof a bit more 'busy'...

Good luck guys, with building your Osprey's ;)

gr. launnie