Alright, her she is, Warspite. I came home for lunch, so I have the hull tacked together witht the kit strengtheners in place. When I get home tonight, I'll add strip styrene to the inside to strengthen that really long seam. The deck pieces are just laid in place now, I wanted to see how much of a gap or how tight the fit would be if I cement the strengtheners all the way in, and the fit is perfect!

0E8A5C49-2824-402C-877E-F59DA4E7B54E.jpg

12DB6270-A7FC-444E-9926-A52737ADE64C.jpg

More to follow......

Bill

Ok, the hull is all cemented together, that proved to be a little more difficult that i anticipated. My only real beef witht the Academy kits is the two piece hull, that's a long seam. The casemate guns are assembled and put in place, the gun barrels will get glued in late, that will make painting easier and lessen the chance of breaking something. All the decks are glued down, and the surface detail that needs to be removed is......removed.

429443C0-D283-4370-B71C-83EDD5A0DB6F.jpg

3680FE58-5DBC-4FEC-B1A0-6A583EBFC0E5.jpg

E2281A47-4B30-4CF4-AE77-BC7754EF8DF9_1.jpg

I'm going to give it a bath tonight to get all the sanding dust off. After that, I'll be attaching the PE to the hull, building the stern deck, then I should be ready to paint. More to follow......

Bill

Thanks Sebastian, I think ship building is actually easier than aircraft. For me it's more in the approach than the actual building. If you are using a ton of AM, you have to triple check the instructions to make sure you are removing and have removed the right stuff before proceeding. I also find myself using the instructions as more of guildines, sometimes it's much easier to build out of order.

I went to wash the hull and discovered I forgot to sand off a line mold seam, so I tackled that last night and filled a couple of unneeded holes that were for the kits plastic booms. I'll wash it down today the get all the dust of, and depending how long the dry time is, I'll start attaching the PE splash guards for the casemate batteries, the mounts for the fore and aft booms, and the stern walk.

Bill

It dried faster than I thought! I have the deck for the stern walk installed, as well as the splash guards.

7111F8F3-4FF5-4D32-A3A1-0F982F8628CD.jpg

EE42B054-C55E-4CD8-BFB5-A2BEE0BE3BF7.jpg

8965D3A4-A4C6-460A-85D5-FDFAB1DEDF29.jpg

Next up is the install the railing for the stern dock, and the rest of the supports underneath. The rest of the PE is the mounts for the booms, and the hatches on the stern, then install the rudders and I can paint. Now it's off to do some wood working for my railroad benchwork before its time to fore up the BBQ! More to follow!!!

Bill

The mounts for the fore and aft 40 foot booms are installed, along with the Warspite name. Those name pieces are by FAR the most delicate PE I've ever worked with, I'm actually pretty impressed with myself even though they are not completely straight.

F01DAB8B-576F-45DA-9C9F-604219C5E9E9.jpg

More to follow!

Bill

Thanks for the nice words guys!

I've gotten the angle irons installed under the cantilevered Platform for on the the AA guns.........

D8C37594-021B-4496-A7C1-DD83A0F6F5DA.jpg

Those little pieces make me want to jab my tweezers in my eyes!!! Now I need to triple check the instructions to make sure I'm not missing anything, and I can start painting the hull!

More to follow......

Bill

Coming along nicely! At 22", that's quite a big girl compared to my 4.75" YMS!

As you going to paint only the hull at this point, or also the main deck?

What is the pre-shading for? I see mostly a splinter scheme on Google.

Preshading??? ON A SHIP??? I'm glad you asked :woot.gif: I'm sure I'm not the only person that does this, but it adds quite a bit to the standard monotone colors of most ships. I mainly like to do this on older ships of a single color, but it works here too. I preshade in the obvious spots, like raised detail such as ventilation ducts, but I also add random splotches of black to slightly break the single colors. Most ships undergo standard upkeep underway by the crew, like busting rust and adding new paint for upkeep, particularly a ship that saw such wear and tear as Warspite, so the paint eventually gets to be somewhat splotchy. If this is done subtlelly enough it looks great.

You are correct, this ship will have the two tone grey. I am not going to paint the deck this time, I'm gonna cheat and use the etched wood that came witht the kit!

I see mostly a splinter scheme on Google.

See, I have found pictures with the broken type camo, like the instructions say, but I have also seen pictures witht the splinter, especially the ones when she was grounded after the war, so no doubt Warspite.

172408B1-FE22-4FF2-ADBD-33E7C184AB86.jpg

03B252D0-1180-4B15-BA8F-A0FC588D2368.jpg

The caption for the bottom picture said it was Warspite in the Med in '43. I'm by no means a RN guru, so this is a quandary, I'm very close to be ready for painting.

Bill

Anti-fouling is painted.

6AB3F5BC-A595-4FAC-BCCA-A08C7C0E2541.jpg

E46D8D69-D92D-4379-AF9E-960A6CAF593C.jpg

Under normal light it looked fine, but when the camera flash hit it for these pictures, it looks like I might need another coat to blend the preshade get more, I was going in very thin coats. I might actually paint the grey first and see if that helps, that way I don't over do the colors and completely erase the shading. At any rate, I'm going to look at it again in neutral daylight to make sure. These are the joys of model building I guess, no matter what, we always find SOMEthing we are not happy with!

More to follow........

Bill

It's definatly the camera flash, the first shot of grey looks great under normal light, I need to take better pictures :rolleyes:

945370FE-8A1F-448B-8A1A-6789E21E1F1B.jpg

23690D24-B72C-4289-9AA6-FA13339FAD2C.jpg

I think I may take a day off before masking for the next color, that was kind of tedious, besides, that will give a chance to find the AM props, they are in a goodies box somewhere in the closet!

More to follow.......

Bill

Ok, it's been a few days since an update, quite frankly, I've been too effin lazy to mask! I've gotten the main colors done, MM light sea grey, gunship grey for the upper hull, and British Crimson for the anti-fouling. The props are AM brass from G-Factor, very nice upgrade. I have some paint marks where my masking lifted a little, and a few other spots to touch up, add some washes and weather, apply a few decals, and she'll be ready for dull coat and start the deck!

1F0A0931-79E0-4397-A5D8-0C2AB7826F54.jpg

1B7424A9-CFFB-4909-B90F-76AA840ED84E.jpg

Question......will dry transfer silver if it's not on a gloss surface?

More to follow.........

Bill

Ok, the stern walk is done!

580D836D-5367-4553-A127-D37655E194C6.jpg

I don't like the fit on the top, I wish there would have been a PE replace,net for th kit part. If I'd have messed with it any more I think it would have broke. I might scratch one and replace it, the jury is still out.

The two 40 foot booms up forward are done as well

2847E53D-F523-453B-9EBA-7B40EA14E837.jpg

That's 5 pieces of PE per boom!

All the painting is done, so this weekend I'll weather the hull and shoot it with dull coat to seal it, then I can start on the deck detail

More to follow.....

Bill