Monogram 1941 Lincoln Continental grille depth

Folks, I am about to do final assembly on a Monogram 1941 Lincoln Continental I've had for twenty-plus years, finally building it. The chrome grilles need some help - - - the spaces between the grille ribs ought to be darkened, to give some depth to the grille.

And I don't have any idea what is an accepted practice. I have two ideas in mind. First, color in the ribbed area with a black Sharpie and rub the highlighted areas with alcohol, leaving the recesses black. Second, do the same with Tamiya acrylic black, cleaning off the highlights with spray acrylic thinner.

Either of these work, or is there an idea out there in this forum that would give an easier/more attractive result?

Thanks very much.

A few methods I've used:

-thin acrylic blat black and flow it between the grill ribs

-Tamiya makes a product just for this purpose its called Panel Line Accent Color and it comes in Black, Brown or Grey. It is quite thin in the bottle.

-Black India Ink ight also work but does tend to dry shiny

- A Sharpie might do the job but its hard to get right up to the edge of the grill bars with it and I've found that these pen inks sometimes dry a little purple/blue

Good luck.

robw