Obscure question on MiG-21R

Hi all,

I'd like to make my Eduard MiG-21R in a natural metal/aluminium lacquer scheme, but none are available. (Linden Hill possibly do one, but they aren't sure if the aircraft is a MiG-21R or MiG-21S, so that's not terribly helpful.) I've found a few photos of NMF MiG-21Rs here: http://www.16va.be/galeries_vvs/su-17m3r/imgcol/index.html. I can make my own bort numbers, but my question is: What colour are the bort numbers likely to be? I'd be interested in modelling '03', '06' or '10'.

If anyone has any info, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks

Jon

Does it have to be in Soviet markings?

There are decals for silver Polish and Czechoslovak R's.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/D48017

https://www.hobbyshop.cz/shop/en/1-48-decals-air/5966-kop92117-mig-21r-recce-dragon-1-48-decal.html

Decals for my absolute favorite, JRV "112" which defected to Austria in 1991 are currently unavailable.

Vedran

Sorry; should have said: must be USSR, just like in the photos :) I've got nothing against other air forces, it's just I have a policy of finishing my models in the markings of the same nation in which it was designed (if possible).

Thanks

Jon

the only photos i've seen of USSR BMF MiG-21R (in the "famous russian series") bort numbers where red, without outlines. (if there ever was, it could have been a very thin black outline...but hardly visible (still from photos i've seen))

superscale did russian bort numbers decal sheet a long ago... and they are rare now.

My guess would be red like other NMF MiG-21s, in the link you provided they don't appear to have the white border but I can't say for certain.

Ken

the only photos i've seen of USSR BMF MiG-21R (in the "famous russian series") bort numbers where red, without outlines. (if there ever was, it could have been a very thin black outline...but hardly visible (still from photos i've seen))

superscale did russian bort numbers decal sheet a long ago... and they are rare now.

Thanks guys. I've got a few MiG-21s in the stash, along with other Soviet aircraft, and shall look for suitable red numbers. If that fails, I can print some easily enough.

Thanks

Jon

Thanks guys. I've got a few MiG-21s in the stash, along with other Soviet aircraft, and shall look for suitable red numbers. If that fails, I can print some easily enough.

Thanks

Jon

disregard

Edited by mingwin