directions for a yank

I might join you guys all the way from the United States. So I need some help. 'Just where is Telford? How about some simple instructions from say London? I'd probably go by train so what stop and what London station do I start from? The guy with the best first instructions wins a pint or two from me at the Hoiday inn's lounge. thanks!!!

i'd ac

i.m been

I might join you guys all the way from the United States. So I need some help. 'Just where is Telford? How about some simple instructions from say London? I'd probably go by train so what stop and what London station do I start from? The guy with the best first instructions wins a pint or two from me at the Hoiday inn's lounge. thanks!!!

i'd ac

i.m been

By train from london you need to go from london Euston to Telford Central

For working out trains, go to http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

There you'll be able to sort out trains and ticket prices.

By car from Heathrow, it's M25, M40, M6, and M54, which will get you there.

If you go that way, be prepared for delays around Birmingham.

Nearest airports are Birmingham and Manchester, with motorway connections by car from each.

Hope this helps.

Ted

Hi

Its London Euston to Birmingham New Street & Birmingham to Telford

LONDON EUSTON 07:40 arrive Brimigham 9:11

BIRMINGHAM NEW STREET 09:33 arrive Telford 10:04

15 min walk from the station to SMW

Cost is £25.00 return

I Go from Northampton (which is on the same line but the London Train doesn't stop)

If I can be of any other help let me know.

Dave

Edited by saintsdave

As a transplanted Salopian, now living in the States, some advice on going.

Avoid flying into London at all costs. Best bet is Continental into Birmingham (two flights a day from Newark), although Manchester is good as well. Birmingham airport has a train station link that has direct and one stop trains to Telford. Previous poster gave you a idea of prices. Going into London adds about $250 to a trip, with hotel, extra travel etc. Birmingham Airport is very nice, quiet and easy to get through. Most passengers on the Continental flights are EU residents so the customs line for a Yank is usually pretty short. As a contrast, Heathrow can be an hour or more.

I make this trip 2-3 times a year and this is the best way. You may, big may as it sometimes is a may not, pay a little more for flying into Brum, but well worth it.

As for staying in Telford, the Holiday Inn and the Euston(IIRC) close to the Telford International Centre are typical US style hotels, but there are far cheaper and nicer places to stay in Wellington, 5 miles away or Ironbridge. Bed & Breakfasts are common, small but well kept and in November few guests. Avoid Dawley and Madeley, no reason just prejudice from when I was growing up. Shrewsbury is 20 mins away by train and has a lot of Hotels.

PM me if you want more info. I may go myself, but not sure yet, but as my home is 20 mins walk from where SMW is held, I make up my mind at the last minute.

Graham Holmes

Columbus OH

• 2 weeks later...

Dave

Hi

Its London Euston to Birmingham New Street & Birmingham to Telford

LONDON EUSTON 07:40 arrive Brimigham 9:11

BIRMINGHAM NEW STREET 09:33 arrive Telford 10:04

15 min walk from the station to SMW

Cost is £25.00 return

Dave

Only 25 quid return? From London or Brum?

Researching it from Brisbane, I had the impression I'd be paying something over 60 pounds each way!

Mind, I will be travelling up on Friday afternoon - is it so much cheaper at other times?

Shane

Dave

Only 25 quid return? From London or Brum?

Researching it from Brisbane, I had the impression I'd be paying something over 60 pounds each way!

Mind, I will be travelling up on Friday afternoon - is it so much cheaper at other times?

Shane

Shane

25 quid from London (booking as 2 singles @ 12.50 each)

From London on Friday, returning on Sunday £40.00 ( or business class £223)

All prices from this site

Dave

i'd ac

i.m been

.....Oh I have been to Telford..you will love it.....Take lots of money..lots to buy and see....

HOLMES... :D

(Forgot to flip the calendar over and thought it was still last month oops..sorry so soorrrrrry!!!)

Edited by HOLMES
  • 1 month later...
.....Oh I have been to Telford..you will love it.....Take lots of money..lots to buy and see....

HOLMES... B)

(Forgot to flip the calendar over and thought it was still last month oops..sorry so soorrrrrry!!!)

Looking more and more like a might make it. I always wanted to do a UK show. Seems like a business trip to Brussels and the UK around that time might really have a London meeting added. Put me in London on Thursday and Friday and its off to Telford as quickly as I can. I am thinking of getting there Friday night, spending a full day and getting back to London for a flight out on Sunday. Since the "company " is paying for it, LHR will have to do. I think I can get it all done on Saturday- looking, browsing and buying and catch a late train out.

Looking more and more like a might make it. I always wanted to do a UK show. Seems like a business trip to Brussels and the UK around that time might really have a London meeting added. Put me in London on Thursday and Friday and its off to Telford as quickly as I can. I am thinking of getting there Friday night, spending a full day and getting back to London for a flight out on Sunday. Since the "company " is paying for it, LHR will have to do. I think I can get it all done on Saturday- looking, browsing and buying and catch a late train out.

So the Yank manages to get there ....Lucky you!!! :coolio:

I wont be able to get there this time I don' t think.......If I did go I would be wobbly on MY feet as I have an invitation to a really plush posh Retirement party..( one of MY Detective colleagues is retiring and the day before Telford she is having a Party at a Hotel! !! :cheers:

Otherwise I woulda gone....Anyways HAVE A lovely TIME THERE Via Sistina and all the others that are going.....

:banana: Just teasing.... :P

• 2 weeks later...

"Avoid flying into London at all costs" - does that include the US $178 round trip fare I got from Dulles to Heathrow? The tax was more than the ticket, so even with the PITA factor of dealing with the perpetually under construction Heathrow, I think it's worth it :pray: Almost fell off the chair when I saw United for $178!

J

"Avoid flying into London at all costs" - does that include the US $178 round trip fare I got from Dulles to Heathrow? The tax was more than the ticket, so even with the PITA factor of dealing with the perpetually under construction Heathrow, I think it's worth it :( Almost fell off the chair when I saw United for $178!

J

I fell...nevr mind almost!!!

Jennings that is a really good deal....I think there is a thread running her on ARC statrted By JULIEN(UK) WHO like others going to Telford, is offering lifts from variuos places. theres even a guy from Oxford close to London winging his way to Telford.....Maybe you could hook up with them and hitch a lift....CANT RECALL THE NAME OF THE TREAD BUT AS i said it is started by ARC memeber Julien(UK)...Have fun you guys and tgake care.....

The post that might interest you guys fromStates coming to Telford is " well who's going then" there are a lot of UK ARCers going from various parts

of UK including MOdel Mdaness from Hemel Hempstead...so close ( ?) to London and Heathrow!! PLEASE have a look at that before you fly maybe they may pick you up and evn bring you back!

see ya HOLMES.

HLMES. :pray:

Edited by HOLMES