As I plod along with the KC-135 builds I find myself starting yet another kit.

NP-3D_02_zps3240ad2a.jpg

I did not take too many pictures at the start as it was one of those fill in builds while waiting for other stuff to dry.

NP-3D_05_zpsglxsze1s.jpg

NP-3D_07_zpsci1zjvot.jpg

Managed to fill all the pylon mounts with little fuss, need to rescribe some lost detail from sanding.

NP-3D_09_zpsdkajifqe.jpg

NP-3D_12_zpsyed6zd65.jpg

I have started quite a few of these P-3 kits and have figured out some of the gotchas. One is the sonobuoy panel that always falls in after gluing, so I added strips in the fuselage to stop this happening

NP-3D_10_zpspjwolaz9.jpg

NP-3D_11_zpsrg0m4huv.jpg

Got the wing fitted this morning.

NP-3D_15_zpsnqrzii5k.jpg

Some ways to go. I am thinking about making my own decals for this one since the kits ones of an older scheme. I rather like the current scheme.

Nice work! You got the "bill board" faired in nicely.

If you want to build it as a VX-30 bird, you can get a usable "Bloodhounds" tail logo from Superscale sheet 48-982.

I sure wish Hasegawa would retool this kit or even re-pop a fresh one. Filling in the weapon pylon slots is a real hassle if building a version other than a standard ASW P-3.

Edited by 82Whitey51

Thanks Andrew!

And thanks for the heads up on the VX30 decals, just ordered some.

That make is a whole lot easier biggrin.gif

I agree with a retool P-3 kit. I have about 10 in the stash for various projects and I don't look forward to the quirks of the Hasegawa kit. The raised detail is a pain to keep in tact too.

A little more progress...

I find most nose gear struts are prone to damage loosing the gear axle. So I had to fix this one. I have yet the trim the new sections up here.

NP-3D_16A_zpsgl0emuhp.jpg

Gear installed and nose cone fitted, I had to put about triple the recommended nose weight. There is a slab of lead flashing under the cockpit and another in the weapons bay area. This was not enough and I had to fill the nose cone as well.

NP-3D_18_zpseq3dxfpa.jpg

and a shot with another stable mate that has been on the shelf of doom for some time.

NP-3D_19_zps4s7t3kk2.jpg

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Great project Ray. I have the decals for the Road Runner and the Coyote P-3. Just need the time to build it.

Thanks, the second P-3 will be an RP-3D with Project Magnet markings (Road Runner). I saw this aircraft here in the late 80s (showing my age) when I was in the RAAF. It flew in with a dead engine and spent a week at our base while another engine was flown from the US in a USN C-130. Unfortunately the paint is not the best on that build so I am not sure I will use the decals on it.

Very nice, Ray. I've never seen one of these Orions, let alone known about them. Nice work on the 'gotcha' bits. I've figured out a few on the many Hasegawa Sabres that I've built. What's the 'billboard' for? Is it full of jamming equipment or other such electronic hardware?

Look forward to the finished product.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

These aircraft were modified as range tracking aircraft designed to track missile testing. As far as I know one remains in the VX-30 fleet.

The orange and white one looks really cool.

A buddy of mine just flew aircraft 341 out to the boneyard a couple weeks ago...:(

340 is the last of them.

Ray, it's nice you saw this aircraft in person. Sorry to read that the colors didn't turn out well on the Coyote bird. Well, good luck to ya 70.gif

Well I was not happy with the VX-8 bird so it has been stripped as best I can. Still in 2 minds about trying to save it. I have another P-3 in the stash I can use for it. I want to do a ice job on it.

No progress on the NP-3 as I have been distracted by another build. I need to scratch up a few antennas for it and plane to fit them before painting starts. Just need to do some research as to the size and shape of the extra antennas. Hopefully I can use some of the kit included antennas and re-position them.

Which I have started to do

NP-3D_20_zpsqa9wrqva.jpg

Edited by Trojan Thunder
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well done, Ray. Nice save on the cracking / splitting decals. What a PITA! Did you seal the spares with Future or Micro Clear Liquid Decal Film or the like before using them?

Mike

Now if only there were Bloodhounds markings in 1/48 for a DC-130 I would be set... rolleyes.gif

Nice work buddy, love the markings 70.gif

Well done, Ray. Nice save on the cracking / splitting decals. What a PITA! Did you seal the spares with Future or Micro Clear Liquid Decal Film or the like before using them?

Mike

Mike, the spare sheet was newer and not subject to the cracking, I should have started with it and save a lot of frustration.

Slowly finishing this one up, I have done some touch up painting and unmasked and fitted the remaining clear parts. All I have to go is the HF antennas, props, wheels and figure out how to add the '340' to the top of the tail.