USS Cole (DDG-67); Cyberhobby 1:700

This will be my first foray into the world of ship building (subs excluded) since before teenage years, when I built Italeri's HMS Hood. While rightwinger26 said in his Warspite thread, building ships is easier than aircraft, I have zero experience with them and just the look at the instructions (especially the PE ones) makes my eyes spin. So, I hope you guys will help me out, if things get stuck somewhere in the middle.

And here's the first question - do you paint decks first and then the sides of the hull and superstructure, or is it vise-versa? it seems like masking is gonna be tricky with all the corners.

Anyhow, I just started my build - not much to see yet. I have made a hull damage where the al-Qaeda boat exploded by shaving of plastic from the inside of the hull, then cutting out a portion and bending the sides inward.

usscole-1.jpg

Edited by Sebastijan

I paint all the vertical surfaces first, the paint the deck. Most of the ships I build are older and have teak deck, so I either use etched wood deck, (no need to paint) or brush paint the planking. For ships with a non-skid surface like the Cole, I'd mask what I can of the vertical surfaces and airbrush the deck, then touch up with a brush as needed.

thanks for the tip! I started playing a bit with PE and looking at what lies ahead, I guess I will paint vertical surfaces first for the most of time... planning is crucial, though, especially with all the PE stuff to be attached

• 1 month later...

Paint answer: Yes

Depends on the kit and the detail.

There's no choice for "structures" built into the deck (including large ones on older kits).

It's whatever works best for the substructure.

Ships are much more "subassemblies" than planes or vehicles, all of which share the question of how to paint corners.

So there's nothing special about ships in this regard.

I use styrene cement wherever possible and avoid super glue as much as possible (don't do epoxy). I would rather attach something to a deck and mask than paint separately, superglue, then have to touch up the paint anyway.

I build the exact opposite way. I find it's easier to build and paint in subassemblies, then attach those assemblies when finished. To me it makes painting easier and reduces the risk of breaking stuff. I like to think of it as building the model like a cake.

Great work so far!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...