CD48051 - T-38A International

I just finished the first draft of the international T-38A sheet I promised a while ago. This sheet covers Turkey (three different paint schemes including the latest, colorful T-38M scheme) and Portugal. This will be an April release. Profiles coming this weekend.

cd48051draft.jpg

Some tweaks - I added the low-vis EICPAC badge and changed the numbers of the Portuguese options to allow an aircraft with the low-vis EICPAC badge to be built. Some folks also wanted to see the Portuguese stencils up close to make sure they were correct, so here goes:

port_stencils.jpg

I am mostly happy with how it looks, so I will send it to be printed tomorrow and move on the the next project.

Edited by KursadA

I just finished the first draft of the international T-38A sheet I promised a while ago. This sheet covers Turkey (three different paint schemes including the latest, colorful T-38M scheme) and Portugal. This will be an April release. Profiles coming this weekend.

Great stuff Kursad. Yet another sheet on the buy list. The only issue I have with the T-38 is the overall white scheme. SUch a difficult paint to get right but I have to learn to do it one way or the other I guess.

Now I have to go do some research on the differences between the A and the M. Hopefully it is all internal.

Now I have to go do some research on the differences between the A and the M. Hopefully it is all internal.

Hi Chris,

I will include information about the differences of T-38M in the instructions sheets and reference pages. The T-38M is a Turkish indigenous upgrade of the T-38A with new glass cockpit, new Martin-Baker Mk.16 ejection seats and thoroughly upgraded avionics. In general lines it is somewhat similar to the USAF T-38C modernization (even though the programs were completely unrelated), but without the new intakes or other major physical changes. Apart from the new ejection seats, the only external difference should be two blade antennas. The ejection seats are the same type used on the KAI T-50, so Wolfpack's resin T-50 seats should work well.

Can you please do this sheet in 1/72.

I will scale my T-38 sheets (starting with the USAF sets) down to 1/72 if a mainstream manufacturer ever does a 1/72 T-38. I don't know much about the Sword kit - I will ask my resellers for some info on how well the kit sells, and if seems to be a popular kit I might do it even earlier.

Hi Chris,

I will include information about the differences of T-38M in the instructions sheets and reference pages. The T-38M is a Turkish indigenous upgrade of the T-38A with new glass cockpit, new Martin-Baker Mk.16 ejection seats and thoroughly upgraded avionics. In general lines it is somewhat similar to the USAF T-38C modernization (even though the programs were completely unrelated), but without the new intakes or other major physical changes. Apart from the new ejection seats, the only external difference should be two blade antennas. The ejection seats are the same type used on the KAI T-50, so Wolfpack's resin T-50 seats should work well.

Thanks for the great info Kursad, much appreciated. Since you say the M version is more of a glass cockpit then probably more screens on the IP. Probably not a really difficult fix, I hope. The info on the seats is good too so I will pick up a set of the T-50 seats.

Well the T-38 is essentially an F-5B with slightly diff intakes, no mini-LERX and without the wing tip launch rails. Hasegawa did a T-38 some yrs ago, Esci did an F-5B which was rereleased by Italeri, and I hear the Sword kit is fairly good. I have several Esci kits waiting for good T-38 decals.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...