CD48070 - Brazilian Navy AF-1 (A-4M)

This was too good to pass up, so I have been working on it since I have seen it a couple months ago. I am doing this in 1/48 and 1/72; and the artwork is at an advanced enough state that I can assign a product number and announce it. I designed the artwork to fit the 1/48 Hasegawa kit, and plan to modify the design to fit the Fujimi kit in 1/72 scale.

af-1-N1004-3-600x400.jpg

Edited by KursadA

Before it is too late to change anything, is the Fujimi kit the right choice for 1/72? The fit of the falcon head is a bit tricky and needs to be tailored to a specific kit. My 1/48 prototypes do not fit that well to the Hobbycraft 1/48 kit, for example. If there is a better 1/72 kit, let me know and I will use that kit as the target.

Are you going to do a couple of line jets as well? I picked up two of the Hasegawa AF-1 kits when they came out, but have been quietly waiting their turn to be built. I like the scheme of the anniversary jet, but preferr to build a line jet. In the April issue of Combat Aircraft is an article about the Brazilian Scooters and there are some wonderful pictures.

Before it is too late to change anything, is the Fujimi kit the right choice for 1/72? The fit of the falcon head is a bit tricky and needs to be tailored to a specific kit. My 1/48 prototypes do not fit that well to the Hobbycraft 1/48 kit, for example. If there is a better 1/72 kit, let me know and I will use that kit as the target.

The Fujimi A-4M / A-4KU kit is The Best there is in 1/72 scale. The only other 1/72 A-4M is the old Italeri one which has raised panels.

Fujimi re-released a bunch of their A-4B/C/Es some time back. They might re-release their A-4Ms, OA-4Ms, A-4Fs, in the future ( fingers crossed).

Certainly a line jet is an option if it is not going to increase the number of colors too much. I will even consider the markings for the first modernized jet (AF-1M) if I can access references in time.

The Fujimi A-4M / A-4KU kit is The Best there is in 1/72 scale. The only other 1/72 A-4M is the old Italeri one which has raised panels.

Fujimi re-released a bunch of their A-4B/C/Es some time back. They might re-release their A-4Ms, OA-4Ms, A-4Fs, in the future ( fingers crossed).

I agree, the Fujimi kits are the tops in 1/72 scale....and yes, I have a couple hidden in the stash.

Certainly a line jet is an option if it is not going to increase the number of colors too much. I will even consider the markings for the first modernized jet (AF-1M) if I can access references in time.

What about FAA A-4AR Fightinghawks?

I agree, the Fujimi kits are the tops in 1/72 scale....and yes, I have a couple hidden in the stash.

What about FAA A-4AR Fightinghawks?

A-4ARs would be most welcome. I have the Aerocalcas sheets, and they are OK, but not the greatest. Although Condor Decals are releasing them soon aren't they?

Cheers,

Hoops

A-4ARs would be most welcome. I have the Aerocalcas sheets, and they are OK, but not the greatest. Although Condor Decals are releasing them soon aren't they?

Cheers,

Hoops

They are already out, but combined with shipping, the decals are over $20.00. Sometimes shipping from Latin America can be dicey as well.

Thank you for trying to help, Kursad!

Standing by :)

At least one or two line birds (including a twin-seater) are easy to do, but the A-4ARs will have to wait for another time. I need some time to research and draw those; keep in mind that I announced this sheet only after collecting research material and working on artwork for a while. Now that I announced the sheet, I have to bring it to market as soon as possible. I am looking for interesting international schemes all the time, so I am sure I will revisit Skyhawks in the future.

Oh, and I will need to borrow a Fujimi kit from one of you. I looked everywhere and they seem to be hard to find.

At least one or two line birds (including a twin-seater) are easy to do, but the A-4ARs will have to wait for another time. I need some time to research and draw those; keep in mind that I announced this sheet only after collecting research material and working on artwork for a while. Now that I announced the sheet, I have to bring it to market as soon as possible. I am looking for interesting international schemes all the time, so I am sure I will revisit Skyhawks in the future.

Oh, and I will need to borrow a Fujimi kit from one of you. I looked everywhere and they seem to be hard to find.

Hi Kursad

Wow, great subject. Even though I am essentially a 1/48 modeller, I just so happen to have a 1/72nd Fujimi kit in my stash. Unfortunately I think it is an A-4E and the Brazilian aircraft are A-4M machines I think. If the Fujimi E will work I can send it your way.

I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with the Fujimi A-4 kits so I got one. From what I have also heard, their Alpha Jets and Hawks are little jems.

I think it is an A-4E and the Brazilian aircraft are A-4M machines I think.

Tha Brazilians acquired their A-4KU Skyhawks from Kuwait in 1999. The Argentine A-4ARs are modified A-4Ms with the Falcon fire control radar.

Edited by Johnopfor
  • 3 weeks later...

Final draft of CD48070 - in addition to the 15th anniversary jet, you get enough markings to build either a single seater (1017) or a twin-seater line jet (1021).

cd48070draft.jpg

I will work on scaling it down to 1/72 tonight, so I can release them at the same time as part of the July batch in about 3-4 weeks.

cd48070stancils.jpg

The nose is different.

Thanks for the info. So it looks like I can start with the A-4M kit but use an A-4E nose. If these were ex Kuwait A-4KU Skyhawks then that is probably a good starting point since the Kuwaiti Skyhawks were A-4M versions without the lumps and bumps on the nose I believe.