CD72041 - Sukhoi Su-30MK

I finished working on this a couple of weeks ago - it will be available in late May, so it's time to reveal it.

CD72041 will be comprehensive sheet intended for the Trumpeter 1/72 Su-30MKK kit. It will feature miltiple options for all current operators of the KnAAPO-built Su-30MK/MKK/MK2. The options on this sheet are:

-Su-30MK2 "0564", (200th anniversary special scheme) Bolivarian Venezuelan Military Aviation (AMBV)

-Su-30MK2 "3363", Bolivarian Venezuelan Military Aviation (AMBV)

-Su-30MK "504", KnAAZ ("Pavel Sukhoi" commemorative scheme)

-Su-30MK "8534" (blue scheme), Vietnam People's Air Force

-Su-30MK "8581" (sand/green scheme), Vietnam People's Air Force

-Su-30MK2 "08", Indonesian Air Force

-Su-30MK2 "11", Indonesian Air Force

-Su-30MKK "78036", dark gray PLAAF standard scheme, People's Liberation Army Air Force (China)

-Su-30MKK "20694", sand-brown aggressor scheme, People's Liberation Army Air Force (China)

-Su-30MKK "20696", green-brown aggressor scheme, People's Liberation Army Air Force (China)

-Su-30MKK "81048", PLANAF standrad scheme, People's Liberation Navy Air Force (China)

-Su-30MK2 "AF019", Uganda People's Defence Force Air Wing

-Su-30MK2 "AF023", Uganda People's Defence Force Air Wing

There is also a second, smaller sheet with basic stencilling. Printed by Cartograf; full-color instructions as usual.

I will scale it up to 1/48 for the Academy kit and Wolfpack conversion set next month.

cd72041draft.jpg

Are the decals taking into consideration the fins that are too small on the Trumpy kit for a KnAAPO Su-30MK/MKK/MK2?

In other words, are the fin decals sized for the kit's fins?

Shouldn't be a big deal (it's 3 mm difference anyway). Just curious. ;)/>

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935157-su-27ub-is-it-only-a-trainer/

http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/flanker%20fins.html

Edited by Platycqb

Thanks for asking - I was going to post an explanation of this soon.

I guess it is common knowledge that the Trumpeter Su-30MKK fins are too short. I think the difference is about 2mm, but it is big enough to make a difference in this scale.

After deliberating on this for a while, I chose to design the full-tail elements (Venezuelan anniversary marking and the Pavel Sukhoi portrait) to fit the kit parts. I am sure those who know their Flankers and would like to get a more accurate model will want to modify the kit tails, but I tend to believe that most modelers will build the kit as is. The advanced modeler will be able to make the decal work on a modified tail.

The decals are designed to look good on the kit tails out of the box. This required some design compromises, but in the end they will look the part. If you choose to modify the kit tails, you might need to touch up the edges of the Venezuelan artwork a little bit with blue paint, and perhaps adjust the Pavel Sukhoi portrait decal to look better. There will be photos and some commentary at the reference pages to guide you.

The situation is a bit different with the tails of the Academy 1/48 Su-30MK kit, whose tails are simply too wrong. I have not started working on the upscaling work yet, but I think I will end up sizing them for the Wolfpack replacement tails, or find a compromise somehow.

Edited by KursadA

Thanks for asking - I was going to post an explanation of this soon.

No problem. :)/>

Still not thanking you for having to add a couple of Su-30 to my stash in the next months or so. :D

Edited by Platycqb

After deliberating on this for a while, I chose to design the full-tail elements (Venezuelan anniversary marking and the Pavel Sukhoi portrait) to fit the kit parts. I am sure those who know their Flankers and would like to get a more accurate model will want to modify the kit tails, but I tend to believe that most modelers will build the kit as is.

That's a very smart business decision.

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

I will release the 1/48 sheet(s) immediately after the 1/72, as early as next month. All the options are not likely to fit on a single sheet in 1/48 scale, so it is likely that there will be two different, limited-edition sheets.

Any chance of 1/144?

Probably not, sorry. I will keep my 1/144 line limited to larger transport/bomber aircraft for the time being, starting with the KC-135R sheet coming in a couple of months.

I will release the 1/48 sheet(s) immediately after the 1/72, as early as next month. All the options are not likely to fit on a single sheet in 1/48 scale, so it is likely that there will be two different, limited-edition sheets.

Brilliant, I'll have to keep checking back to make sure I get them! Venezuela and Angola are the ones I'm looking for :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few early, incomplete drafts - I need to add stencilling and correct some of the camouflage; but it should give you an idea on a few of the options. More refined profiles coming soon.

su30draft1.jpg