CD48090 - Battle of Britain Typhoon

I am doing this; regardless of whomever else might be doing it. It is just too pretty to resist. I believe I have everything I need for a complete and accurate sheet, and I finished a good part of the main markings and stencilling last night in a marathon session. I will be posting profiles tonight and will wrap up the design within a couple of days.

Gar03.jpg

You’ve probably seen these photos, but just in case….

And do that red-tailed Typhoon while you're at it. :rolleyes:/>

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

Thanks for the link - I had not seen some of those, but more photos are flooding the interwebs every day and I have everything I need. That red-tailed Typhoon sure is nice, too. Perhaps in the next batch.

I am sure you will have multiple decal choices for the excellent Battle of Britain schemes appearing this year, and I hope you will choose mine - I should be able send the design to Cartograf's able hands within a few days.

• 4 weeks later...

I am sending this to the printer tomorrow - the design is now complete with major stencils and Flt. Lt. Nicolson's "red devil" emblem that was painted on the aircraft only a few days ago. I will be releasing this sheet in all three (1/72, 1/48 and 1/32) scales.

Profile coming soon.

reddevil.jpg_resized.jpg

I am not sure about the gray serials - pretty much every single photo of this aircraft taken since the very first days (around April 22) seem to show a black serial, which might look like gray in some lighting conditions. It is not too late to add a gray serial if this is important to you, but I don't think the aircraft had a gray serial for more than a few days if it ever did. Can anyone post a photo that clearly shows a gray serial number?

Edited by KursadA

Here's a picture I've got - seems to be gray to me. I'd still use the black - because that's how all the other pictures I've seen look. Edit... When I posted this - I went to the first page - and it's the same photo... Probably just the lighting in the one photo.

Gar03_zpsuvwj61bn.jpg

Edited by GEH737

I have seen many more photos where the illusion is more visible. I have gone through many photos tonight and remain convinced that the serials have always been black. Here are two snippets from two photos taken by the same photographer on the same day (2 seconds apart according to the embedded timestamp!). I think it illustrates the effect of lighting fairly well.

zk349serial1.jpgzk349serial2.jpg

Edited by KursadA

That's a great case in point Kursad, excellent find.

I am looking forward to this sheet. Even though I am Canadian I should be liking the CF-18 in its BoB scheme but to be honest I have no interest in that scheme. This RAF scheme I like and will pick up your decals when they get released.

By the way, did you notice the formation light on the leading edge of the tail? Would those be on your decal sheet? I don't know too much about the Eurofight kits and not sure if they are included in the existing releases.

It would be great if Tamiya released a 1/48 Eurofighter.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1/48 and 1/72 Battle of Britain Typhoon sheets will also be part of the late June batch - here is what the 1/48 sheet looks like, the 1/72 is basically a simplified and scaled down version.

bob_typhoon_draft.jpg