Here is my entry.

72_KC-135A_380BW_01_zpszezkud6f.jpg

I am using the Warbird decal sheets for a 380th BW KC-135A participating in the Giant Voice Competition.

72_KC-135A_380BW_02_zpsejboak2g.jpg

What's in the box? Surprise, surprise.... 2 kits. Maybe I will build both, the second maybe a KC-135E. See how I go

Got the seats painted

72_KC-135A_380BW_03_zpshe0cn3mk.jpg

And some interior assembly and painting happening

72_KC-135A_380BW_04_zpsbiuaivfp.jpg

72_KC-135A_380BW_05_zpsf9qaa5m0.jpg

While the paint dries I move on to the wings

72_KC-135A_380BW_06_zpsibgykaye.jpg

Some reinforcing to prevent the famous AMT KC-135 wing droop happening.

72_KC-135A_380BW_07_zpsqz3bzkqr.jpg

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Nice work Ray. Sometimes I might not be the sharpest chisel in the tool box but 3 flight decks and two fuselages? I've never seen this kit. What's the poop?

Mike

Well Mike, for 'storage purposes' I had put 2 kits in the one box to save space. I also had an RC-135 flight deck already started, so I thought I would paint all 3 up all at the same time.

There might be a bonus in this thread where you actually get 3 builds for the price of one biggrin.gif

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Ray,

Well everything now comes together; figuratively and literally. So there's a possibility of a threesome?! :worship:

Good luck buddy. :lol:

Mike

Got the first fuselage buttoned up, (pictures to follow). RC-135 innards attached to one fuselage half. Just deciding if I will build it in 'take off' config to show off all the antennas and stuff under neath. If so that means surgery to the wings ( when I get them together) to drop the flaps.

Nose weight added

72_KC-135A_380BW_10_zpsxjbeed77.jpg

Buttoning up did not go that well, some persuasion required to get cockpit together

72_KC-135A_380BW_08_zpsnfrsuizf.jpg

Wing skin on

72_KC-135A_380BW_12_zpsz6meisc2.jpg

Since these were taken the fuselage is together and filler added to correct all the crap seams.

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Nice work. It looks like you have re-opened the assembly line at boeing.

Are you using that giant file to fix the fuselage seam? :woot.gif:

I actaully started one of those back when it was first released and ended up throwing it out as I messed up the fuselage so bad, I could not get it to look right.

I finished one of these a few years ago, did not recall the seam issues.

Yes I have used the file on this one :D Why muck around with needle files when you can sort things out faster with one like that. Now I need to repair the area around the ribs. That will be fun.

I finished one of these a few years ago, did not recall the seam issues.

Yes I have used the file on this one :D/> Why muck around with needle files when you can sort things out faster with one like that. Now I need to repair the area around the ribs. That will be fun.

In my case I am pretty sure it was operator error. so you going to have all three finished by january?

In my case I am pretty sure it was operator error. so you going to have all three finished by january?

That is the plan, I might start new threads for the other 2 once they start progressing further. At the moment I am spending more time on the KC-135A.

As for the seams I think I will take a bit more care when buttoning up the next one(s) to reduce the rework of the seams.

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Looks like you're trying to sew a purse out of a pig's ear. I'm sure you'll end up with a fine looking model when you're done. Keep it up Ray.

Mike

Started to restored the sanded down ribs.

72_KC-135A_380BW_20_zpspi8p98jb.jpg

First pass was OK, but I have had to make a second application of putty, above is a picture of the first pass with some tape removed.

Wings are just about ready to be attached, I just want to rescribe some lost detail before that happens.

Also slowly progressing on the RC-135V/W (not sure which it will be yet).

Wings

72_RC-135V_07_zpsqluokzbt.jpg

Nose gear

72_RC-135V_10_zpsysngjruj.jpg

Engines

72_RC-135V_12_zps1issxz7w.jpg

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Have not had a chance to get to the bench for a while, So some progress to report.

Windscreen and cockpit roof installed, I did not bother adding any paint tot he overhead panel as it can't be seen.

72_KC-135A_380BW_21_zpsbmhhayxf.jpg

Also added the left wing. It needed some help to stay where I wanted it.

72_KC-135A_380BW_22_zpsjelarigc.jpg

..and there is a nice gap where the inner and outer panel meet underneath.

72_KC-135A_380BW_23_zpsasxrzssa.jpg

This was expected and the rear section will be filled with some card. the forward section will be hidden under the engine pylon when installed

• 3 weeks later...

The KC-135 is on its gear legs now. So I decided to tape the engines on to see if I had put enough nose weight.

72_KC-135A_380BW_24_zps6pai7ehs.jpg

Turns out I didn't. It seems the 80g recommended shoulb about double that to make sure. I had sealed up the cargo door so I had to remove it again.

I had a piece of lead flashing for the purpose so I thought I would put in behind the cockpit. I decide to create a box to put it in so that I could glue it down securely in the cargo area.

72_KC-135A_380BW_25_zpsyt8egtyr.jpg

I almost made the box too big but fortunately checked before assembly. It fits nicely now

72_KC-135A_380BW_267_zps2sfyzaro.jpg

Since the last update I have added the horizontal stabs and also filled the underwing seams. I started to add the small glazing bits but it turns out I should have fitted them when the fuselage was in parts. It would have made things easier. I am thinking I will leave the rest off and use clear cement to fill the openings after painting.

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Nice to see it shaping up.

Those little things like the windows can be so frustrating when you realize you should have done it before joining the fuselage halves. Good save on the nose weight.

+1

Haven't we all been there with the windows?! Quite a pain in the glutes!

I was kind of contemplating leaving the side windows out of my Lancaster build and used Testor's Window Maker goop until I realized that the fuselage codes would cover part of a couple of windows under the top turret. I then noted that the EZ Masks I bought had masks for all the windows. Problem solved!

Keep up the fine work Ray. Coming along nicely.

Mike

Ok, some progress to report.... 2 steps forward, 1 back.

I noticed some sanding dust inside the windscreen which was bugging me. So after some thought I decided to pop the windscreen and roof off and clean it out.

72_KC-135A_380BW_27_zpsgat2xojr.jpg

I cleaned the windscreen and gave it a fresh coat of future inside and out and refitted it

72_KC-135A_380BW_28_zpsefwn8wja.jpg

So now more putty and sanding. I also have to attend to the cargo door as it fell in slightly when refitted. More putty and a rescribe is in order.

Had to pop the windscreen off again as I did not fit it correctly. Back on again

72_KC-135A_380BW_32_zps85xam6qs.jpg

Also filled the divot that was the cargo door and sanded smooth, next to rescribe the outline and missing detail.

72_KC-135A_380BW_35_zpsbc1oejil.jpg

Engines are fitted and now I need to tend to the seams on the mounts and the one behind the cockpit.

72_KC-135A_380BW_31_zpsvygxhmx8.jpg

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Nose weight added

72_KC-135A_380BW_10_zpsxjbeed77.jpg

In a bit of irony, way back in the 1980's we put an airliner interior in a -135 so SAC could haul IG teams around in a bit of comfort. But we made the latrines in the back of the plane out of 3/4 inch plywood just to save time. I ended up adding about 700 pounds of lead in the '0' fuel cell hole just about the same place you're putting this strip of weight.

I started to spray a black base coat for the metallic finish and found I had not rubbed back enough.

So out with the sandpaper (finer grade) to reduce the scratches.

72_KC-135A_380BW_40_zpsbsnfz8zd.jpg

72_KC-135A_380BW_41_zpspkytrqjg.jpg

Also evident is the need for a little more rescibing.

Edited by Trojan Thunder