Right then, off we go.

I'm building the Italeri B-58 for this GB. It's not quite accurate, something about its length is wrong. But I don't know the real thing good enough to really spot it. I'm using the most recent release, which comes with a couple nice decal options. I think I will build one with the big 2 on its tail.

Only got some cockpit work done so far. Italeri did this far from accurate, but I will keep the hatches closed, so not much will be seen.

P7244445_zps6xvaspxe.jpg

Great choice of subject, Pete. I built one of these many moons ago, when I was a kid. It's a sexy-looking aircraft.

ALF

Looking forward to your build Pete. The Hustler was one of those aircraft that looked like it was going 1,000 mph just sitting on the tarmac.

ALF...same here. The one I built came with a B-58 Hustler shoulder flash (don't I wish I had that now!) and a set of plastic pilot's wings (them too!). Can't remember what make, Lindbergh perhaps?

Edited by AX 365

Thanks guys. You're right, it is an impressive looking thing. I also built one years ago. Didn't turn out that bad, but I should be able to do a little better now. Here's the old one:

P2283063_zpshwwbc99a.jpg

Got the fuselage together on it, and did some dry fitting of the wings. No real problems so far.

P7264447_zpsgg6ulbao.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Slow progress on this one.

I got the wings glued on, and started to put some putty on the seams:

P8164461_zpssqpacjwd.jpg

I also put some lead into the radome, and wanted to glue it in place with some superglue. So when I poured some into it, I let it set with the point down. Bad idea. I forgot there was a hole in the tip for the pitot tube, so the superglue spilled through it and the radome was glued to the workbench. So now I need to think of a way to fix this:

P8164458_zpskodzuojp.jpg

Slow progress on this one.

I got the wings glued on, and started to put some putty on the seams:

P8164461_zpssqpacjwd.jpg

I also put some lead into the radome, and wanted to glue it in place with some superglue. So when I poured some into it, I let it set with the point down. Bad idea. I forgot there was a hole in the tip for the pitot tube, so the superglue spilled through it and the radome was glued to the workbench. So now I need to think of a way to fix this:

P8164458_zpskodzuojp.jpg

I would say your best bet is to use layers of super glue and kicker to slowly build it up then sand back to the desired shape.

• 2 months later...

Back to the top!

Finally got some more work done on this one. I smoothed out the seams on the fuselage and wings, and put the engine nacelles together. I already sprayed some burnt metal shade on them and masked it off. One of the inner engines needs some touch ups, though. Once I get them all on, I can smooth out the attachement points.

PA264487_zpswiqcxybc.jpg

Even in grey plastic, covered with masking tape, that's one sexy looking airplane!

Have you attempted to fix the nose cone issue yet or is that further down the list.

She's looking good, Pete.

Keep it up.

Mike

Thanks!

Mike, I will probably glue the pitot in place, the radome is still just long enough for that, and then glue some more plastic around it and fill the rest with putty or superglue, and then sand to shape.

Meanwhile, I sprayed the whole thing gloss black in preparation for the Alcad. I used a Tamiya rattle can for it.

PB074499_zps9bqk1xfl.jpg

Thanks guys.

Almost done with this one. Only need to put on the gear doors, and do some painting here and there. I'm not quite happy with some of the decals, they seem a bit too large here and there.

PB264510_zpszpt20epi.jpg

Cool! I always liked that big winged 2 on the tails of those 2nd AF planes. I once had a B-52 with it, and I should do an FB-111 with it as well some day. And a KC-135 of course.

Anyway, it's done. Two pics here now, will try to take some better ones tomorrow for the display case.

PB284511_zpsfaog5sob.jpg

PB284513_zpstk7sstdd.jpg