There were several WWII German aircraft at the IPMS Seattle Spring Show last weekend, there were two that caught my eye the most...1/32 BF-109's. I'm thinking I'm wanting to build one now, and I'm wondering what my options are for kits. I don't have a particular version in mind or anything. Just looking for opinions.

Aaron

A decision to 'make a Messerschmitt' opens up 30,000 possibilities, so to speak, but if I may, here are what I would consider the 'best' 1/32 choices. This advice is a combination of good kit / value for money.

Bf 109E -- hands-down, the best kit is the CyberHobby E-3 or E-4 (includes photo-etch details, complete Daimler Benz motor, multiple decal options). The old Hasegawa kit is awful, the old Matchbox 'not bad' in outline but definitely primitive/'clunky' compared to the CH kits. The Trumpeter kit? Meh.

Bf 109F -- the only 'real' 109F choice is the Hasegawa kit. Despite the labeling on the box, the Trumpeter kit is a G-2.

Bf 109G -- the ProModeler boxing of Hasegawa's kit can be found (Stateside) cheaper than an example in a Hasegawa box. This one can be used for a G-4, or back-dated to a G-2. The recent Revell-Germany 109G-6 has a few shortcomings, but is an absolute bargain, and may be built with the conventional tail/rudder, or the later 'tall' tail with a straight rudder hinge. Two decal options. The G-6 was the most-produced of the variants. Revell-Germany have also just released a G-10 built by the Erla factory, although this is a relatively-rare bird.

Hope you enjoy your foray in this field, GRM

Good summary above.

I concur with GRM's comments on the Revell G-6. I'm currently building one (blog is over on the In-Progress forum). While a bargain, it has a few issues that depending on your standards, may or may not require corrections. I purchased the Alleycat correction set (which is itself a bargain). This set addresses pretty much everything important. Even with the cost of this set, my total investment is still less than purchasing the Hase G-6 (which has it's own issues). Plus, as noted above, the Revell kit gives you the parts to model early and late G-6's as well as the G-14 version.

Regards,

John

What about Eduard? There's a BF 109E-3 weekend edition for 19.75 on E-bay right now. Is it decent?

Aaron

YES the Eduard I'd put 2nd best for an E model. I've built it and it is a beutiful kit. Lots of people will nitpick the canopy shape or engine fit with closed cowl but these are minor shortcomings.

Bf 109E -- hands-down, the best kit is the CyberHobby E-3 or E-4 (includes photo-etch details, complete Daimler Benz motor, multiple decal options). The old Hasegawa kit is awful, the old Matchbox 'not bad' in outline but definitely primitive/'clunky' compared to the CH kits. The Trumpeter kit? Meh.

Whilst agreeing 100% with the comments I'd argue that the CyberHobby 'Emil' is the best Bf 109 kit out there .....period.

Cheers

Steve

Having tried to wrestle a Cyber Hobby Emil to the floor, I can't say it's the best kit out there. It's really nice, but it hardly builds itself. For overall accuracy combined with ease of build, my vote would go to the Hasegawa 1/32 Bf109F.

Bf 109G-10 "Erla Plant" have decals for ace of aces Erich Hartmann. When you can build an Messerchmitt, why not a mont of most successful fighter of history...

Having tried to wrestle a Cyber Hobby Emil to the floor, I can't say it's the best kit out there. It's really nice, but it hardly builds itself. For overall accuracy combined with ease of build, my vote would go to the Hasegawa 1/32 Bf109F.

I'd go with one of the 1/48 Zvezda Fs for accuracy but you will get nearly as many opinions as kits if you start that debate :)

I've built a couple of the 1/32 CyberHobby 'Emils' and found they went together very easily indeed. I don't recall having any issues with either of them. I didn't use the kit decals so can't comment on them.

Cheers

Steve