What are the differences between the F-15A & C ?

IIRC, the amount of fuel which can be carried, the F-15C is capable of more G's and the main gear is splayed outside slichtly on the -C to make it a bit more stable on it's legs. In the 70's and (early?) 80's, they had different main wheel hubs too. There are some differences in paneling at the aft end of the airbrake too.

Edited by One-Oh-Four

From a modeling stand-point, mostly antenna fit and wheel hubs. Very few other external differences. Now-a-days, however, (basically after the MSIP upgrades) the F-15C and F-15A are pretty much indistinguishable. They have the same antennas and wheels. So really, a time frame that you are looking at would be helpful to answer your question more accurately.

Aaron

The early F-15C had different main wheel hubs, no 'turkey feathers' on the exhaust (also removed from F-15A/Bs around the same time, at least in the USAF), and cockpit differences. The small fairing aft of the speed brake also differed. The C (and E) had an inverted "T" shape, while the A/B's was more rectangular. The MSIP brought many other detail changes.

I always used the fin tip leading edge fairings as a general guide. I probably have it backwards, but IIRC the A had two fairings of the same thickness, and the C had one thick and one thin fairing.

Thanks All

Brad

If you have an A kit you likely have the cans with the turkey feathers installed. That would be he hardest out of the box conversion if you are building without aftermarket. You will need replacement cans.

Edited by Scooby

I don't have a kit yet, but really want the GWH F-15. I wanted to wait for the A, but I have heard from a few folks (not connected with GWH) that it might not happen, so I guess I'll just get the C model if I can find it at a good price. Down here at Oak Harbor, I hang out with a local group of guys every Friday night, at one of the guys home, and we build and talk models. He has an awesome garage that has an extension which is his man cave. Really awesome place to hang out. Anyway, one of the guys is building the Revell F-15E and he's doing an excellent job, but I want the GWH kit :) Sorry for rambling.

Brad

I always used the fin tip leading edge fairings as a general guide. I probably have it backwards, but IIRC the A had two fairings of the same thickness, and the C had one thick and one thin fairing.

Negatory. With the possible exception of some very, very early production/service F-15As, all USAF F-15s have a flutter weight (the thin one) on one fin and an ECM antenna (the fat one) on the other. At least until 15-20 years ago (I lost interest in anything post-1991 a long time ago), none of the export F-15s had the ECM system (the five big boxes behind the seat), so they had dual flutter counterweights installed.

I don't have a kit yet, but really want the GWH F-15. I wanted to wait for the A, but I have heard from a few folks (not connected with GWH) that it might not happen, so I guess I'll just get the C model if I can find it at a good price. Down here at Oak Harbor, I hang out with a local group of guys every Friday night, at one of the guys home, and we build and talk models. He has an awesome garage that has an extension which is his man cave. Really awesome place to hang out. Anyway, one of the guys is building the Revell F-15E and he's doing an excellent job, but I want the GWH kit :)/> Sorry for rambling.

Brad

Sounds cool Brad. I'm already jealous of your posting to an aviation Mecca and now this story make me even more envious. I absolutely love the area you live in for the rich and diverse aviation history.

You should post pictures of this guys garage if he gives you permission.

I did TD to Mchord when they still flew F-15As. I was also there when they flew the F-106. I'm becoming an old fart now.

I have the GWH C kit, incredible model!

When, oh when, oh when will somebody make an F-15A/C canopy turtle deck with all that beautiful detail on the bottom? The old Verlinden PE set fit about as well as my bedroom slippers, and to my knowledge nobody else has ever attempted it. The kit part is woefully under-detailed (Hasegawa, - haven't seen the GWH kit).

f15_canopy_by_Naiyion.jpg

Edited by Jennings

When, oh when, oh when will somebody make an F-15A/C canopy turtle deck with all that beautiful detail on the bottom? The old Verlinden PE set fit about as well as my bedroom slippers, and to my knowledge nobody else has ever attempted it. The kit part is woefully under-detailed (Hasegawa, - haven't seen the GWH kit).

f15_canopy_by_Naiyion.jpg

Jennings,

You can find it in some Eduard sets

Example for the 1/48 Hasegawa kit : https://www.scalemates.com/kits/117791-eduard-49274-f-15c-eagle-interior

Nope. RepliScale did a very half-hearted attempt at an Elmendorf C, but nobody has ever done the A's. The RS sheet used USN style 30 degree numbers making it utterly worthless.

74-098 was one of the three F-15s (two As and one B ) that were involved in the first daylight intercept of a Bear-H (which was very new at the time) where they obtained high quality imagery of the aircraft. I had a small part in making the intercept happen, so she's always had a special place in my heart...

J

Edited by Jennings