1/48 Tamiya F-16C Block 50

Hello, I have been inspired by Viperbite's recent great set of F-16s (linky) so decided to get one. I have been eagerly awaiting the 'D' model from Tamiya to no avail :) So, decided with the regular one.

I am also very impressed by the following builds:

http://www.scalespot.com/onthebench/f16c/build.htm

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=179065

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....amiya&st=40

IMG_4595.JPG

IMG_4621.JPG

IMG_4624.JPG

IMG_4627.JPG

IMG_4620.JPG

IMG_4636.JPG

Edited by Janissary

After painting the intake, I attached the surrounding pieces. I did not like how they joined together so I stripped all the paint in alcohol and started from scratch. To later insert the support rod, I removed it from the top following some surgery.

IMG_4664.JPG

IMG_4655.JPG

IMG_4665.JPG

I also tried to rethread the tires after losing all the details to sanding.

IMG_4652.JPG

IMG_4653.JPG

The cockpit was painted with XF-19 and the panels with Tamiya semigloss black. I applied a light grey wash between the panels, a black wash in the cockpit, and did some drybrushing.

IMG_4651.JPG

IMG_4669.JPG

IMG_4670.JPG

IMG_4671.JPG

Edited by Janissary

IMG_4668.JPG

I tried to add some detail to the nozzle using aluminum foil. It didn't work as well as I hoped it would but I guess it is better than nothing (still looks like a wrinkled table cloth to me).

IMG_4658.JPG

IMG_4659.JPG

IMG_4660.JPG

IMG_4661.JPG

IMG_4663.JPG

The front view of the intake. Not too bad but nothing spectacular either. Still the seam line is visible and the border between the grey lip and the white intake is not super sharp.

IMG_4687.JPG

IMG_4689.JPG

Edited by Janissary

I tried to finish the nozzle with some washes, matt coat, and pastels.

IMG_4681.JPG

IMG_4682.JPG

IMG_4683.JPG

Also, put together the major pieces. It took me about 15 days for me to come to this point. I started many phases from scratch multiple times along the way like the intake, cockpit and the nozzle. There is some puttying and sanding I will need to do on the body. Hope I can do that without losing too much detail....

IMG_4685.JPG

IMG_4686.JPG

IMG_4691.JPG

The next set of pictures will probably be after priming. Thanks for watching!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much for your comments. Qian, yes, I am using the IFF you have sent me together with those Jason has sent me. The parachute will be used in another block but I already have plans for that. Mario, the white paint is latex paint I got from Home Depot. The key I think with that dump method is that the surface has to be very clean (free of dust, oils) and it should not be too shiny. A little bit of grit is necessary for good coverage. And yes, I plan to make this a Turkish bird.

I have been working on the external pieces and the main body. I tried to make a few pods I have seen in pictures. I also added handles to the canopy frame piece from bent wire. I have also done some painting. I first applied Surfacer 1200, followed by Gunze acrylic 36375, 36270 and 38118.

For the nozzle, I first primed it wirh MM enamel gloss black. Then, I applied Alcad steel, followed by some post shading using Alclad pale gold. Next, I applied very thinned clear blue and clear orange. Finally, with a polishing stick, I gently scrubbed the metallic surface. I thought it gave a reasonable discoloration but I also think it could be much better.

IMG_4692.JPG

IMG_4693.JPG

IMG_4695.JPG

IMG_4696.JPG

I will be posting some additional pictures soon.

Thank you all. I have finally applied some primer. I used surfacer 1200, followed by some touchups. I then went over the surfaces with #2000 sandpaper. I then used Tamiya XF-20 so recheck some sections. As you may see, there are a number of seamlines and panel lines I should have done a better job with (both bottom and top) but it is just taking too long. I have decided to continue with painting. Hopefully the weathering will help suppress some of those issues. I hope I can pull this off.

IMG_4702.JPG

IMG_4703.JPG

IMG_4704.JPG

IMG_4708.JPG

IMG_4715.JPG

IMG_4717.JPG

Great job so far, but are you going to fill this panel line that is circled? Tamiya made this little error that this panel is present on on B/D models and Block 50/52 PLUS models. Yours is a normal Block 50 so the panel shouldn't be there.

IMG_4726.jpg

Thank you very much all. Periklis, I do shading by adding a little bit of white and black and sometimes smoke colors to the main colors and thinning them a lot. I appy this with a 0.3mm airbrush (crowncap off) at ~10-15psi. It takes a while to get the hang of it but it actually is not too difficult. Qian, you are right about the panel, I learned that also recently. But I think it is too late now for me to fix it.

I have been working on a few things. I did not like the wheels so stripped the paint and repainted. Also decalled and washed the fuel tanks.

IMG_4755.JPG

I then tried to do some more shading. However, things went downhill from there and I ran into a lot of issues with the paint. Details aside, I ended up not liking the final result:

IMG_4745.JPG

IMG_4746.JPG

With that, I decided to hold on to the hard-to-find Tuaf decals I received from a fellow modeller and instead go ahead with the kit's decals. I chose Spangdahlem decals, old school, no have glass etc. I just wanted to finish this model the best way I can. This change obvisouly makes the IFF antenna now the wrong type, but I chose to live with that :doh:

IMG_4750.JPG

IMG_4748.JPG