C-2 Greyhound SPECIAL OPS???

About 10 years ago, while on base at Willow Grove JRB (PA). There was a very dark grey (totally LOW-VIZ) C-2 Greyhound. The only makings on it were low-viz 'NAVY' and the low-viz 'stars and bars'. No unit markings or BLU#, or anything I could see right away (ALL Low-Viz). Since it was "back-in the day" I didn't have a camera on my phone. I'm wondering if anybody has any pix of this A/C or one like it? Is there any info on it? Maybe it was a 'one-off' project???

TIA

MattP

Edited by MattP

About 10 years ago, while on base at Willow Grove JRB (PA). There was a very dark grey (totally LOW-VIZ) C-2 Greyhound. The only makings on it were low-viz 'NAVY' and the low-viz 'stars and bars'. No unit markings or BLU#, or anything I could see right away (ALL Low-Viz). Since it was "back-in the day" I didn't have a camera on my phone. I'm wondering if anybody has any pix of this A/C or one like it? Is there any info on it? Maybe it was a 'one-off' project???

TIA

MattP

I've always heard that C-2's were used for special ops transport / airdropping. I guess it wouldn't be unreasonable that a few airframes were dedicated to the role, hence the low viz camo. Maybe there was/is a few MC-2's out there?

I spent a good portion of my career in the E-2/C-2 community, dropping SEAL teams and spec ops folks is a part of the mission and the aircraft is definitely equipped to do it, even air dropping a Zodiac can be done.

I've never heard or seen of any low-viz schemes but I suppose it is entirely possible.

Could have been some sort of test? The standard gull gray and white finish would allow it to blend in anywhere though and not attract the attention that a TPS finish would (as it did in your case).

Thanks people. I have NEVER seen anything, pix or vids of that A/C since actualy seeing it in the flesh (like I would know it from any other C-2). But then again how many times has this happened, (like the SC NAT Guard AH-64 done up in low-viz grey or the desert camo'd A-6E's and A-7's). It looked cool and I'd LOVE to have something to go by to build and mark this A/C. Maybe I'll do a 1/144 C-2 (to save $$$) and build from what I can remember...

Thanks everybody!!!

Matt

Edited by MattP

David, I thought going 1/144 would be inexpensive... WRONG!!! But I appreciate the link, and I'm most likely going to use "Fox-one's" offering as it comes with an interior. If I actually build it in 1/144 it will in-flight, and marked as best as I can remember.

Thanks so much for the info!

MattP

• 1 month later...

Now that I have some "free" time, I'm going to use Oz-Mod's 1/144 conversion (Thanks David) as it is much cheaper, with Revell's E-2C...

MattP

Edited by MattP

To do that, you'll need the RoG 1/144 E-2C and the OzMods C-2 Conversion. Check out kg4pkg's build thread from last year's Grumman Iron Works GB.

I enjoyed building that even though I think I had a bad copy of the kit. The fuselage panel lines weren't in the same place on each side. The right side lines and windows were too low. Nothing sandpaper couldn't fix. I didn't get it directly from OzMods though, an ebay store, so that could have had something to do with it. Still a good kit. I like high-viz schemes but think an all-grey low-viz scheme would look sharp.

08e3b6582fecb656eecde5b48ec08d71_zps4ea59206.jpg

I enjoyed building that even though I think I had a bad copy of the kit. The fuselage panel lines weren't in the same place on each side. The right side lines and windows were too low. Nothing sandpaper couldn't fix. I didn't get it directly from OzMods though, an ebay store, so that could have had something to do with it. Still a good kit. I like high-viz schemes but think an all-grey low-viz scheme would look sharp.

08e3b6582fecb656eecde5b48ec08d71_zps4ea59206.jpg

Thanks for the reply kg4kpg. What you've shown is what I'm thinking of. I've got PropBlur 'spinners' comming. I just received the OzMod conversion this morning and Have Wolfpack's WP14404 wing folds waiting. I was going to use DML's carrier decking right out of the box, but the raised deck lines have to go...

MattP

• 2 weeks later...

Not totally applicable to this thread but I just stumbled upon a really cool C-2 video here:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/behold-the-humble-glory-that-is-the-grumman-c-2-greyhou-1660875427

Lots of in-the-cockpit shots, I was surprised by the amount of control movement required on final to the carrier.

Also, don't bother painting the cockpit interior dark gull grey, looks like it should be an orange-ish tan.

Edited by 11bee
  • 2 months later...

Not totally applicable to this thread but I just stumbled upon a really cool C-2 video here:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/behold-the-humble-glory-that-is-the-grumman-c-2-greyhou-1660875427

Lots of in-the-cockpit shots, I was surprised by the amount of control movement required on final to the carrier.

Also, don't bother painting the cockpit interior dark gull grey, looks like it should be an orange-ish tan.

GREAT VID!!! I have recently dug out my 1/144 C-2A. I have considered getting 'pager' motors to make the props actually spin. As it is now I have P/E Prop-Blurs. Or I could make it as just a static display and pick-up some 8-bladed spinners...

Edited by MattP

He was over-controlling. There shouldn't be that much and the inputs he was making were so big/fast they probably were not doing much since the E2/C2 had a good amount of inertia to overcome, especially in roll. Smooth is king because it's like a Jedi Mind Trick on paddles - if they see the control surface flopping around they think you're AFU. But the pilot's a LTJG so he's way new. He'll learn. The pass they show the ball for was bad...fly through down in close. Paddles no likey that.

Spongebob

Ok now....that was cool!