CD72040 - P5M-2 Marlin

CD72040 will be a 1/72 sheet for the P5M-2 Marlin; intended for the Hasegawa SP-5B kit. I have been told this might be the first aftermarket sheet for this kit - I find it hard to believe, but it looks like it may be the case. I will release it in mid-Summer, after the B-66 Destroyer sheet.

Hmmm...so, you're interested in doing VP Navy stuff ?? :rolleyes:/>

Perhaps I can interest you in a P-3 squadron or two some where down the road :)/>...P-3 squadrons without a MARLIN on the tail!

I have not decided on the full option list, but since this is one of the most prominent Marlin schemes it is safe to say there will be at least one or more engine gray/white option on the sheet.

• 1 month later...

I made some progress with this sheet, and plan to finish the design this week. I will post a few more drafts soon.

marlindraft01.jpg

Its so nice to have someone out there in the aftermarket world who is willing to take a chance on a kit that isn't the latest and greatest. I've had one of these Marlin kits in my stash for at least a decade, and have considered starting it several times, but never did due to a lack of decals. Now all of that has changed. Thanks Kursad! Fred K.

You know Kursad I am sure when you release decals you cause a surge in kit purchases. For many years I have seen this kit and thought it would be cool to build that. Like others I was not too keen on building what was in the box, markings wise so never managed to pick one up. Now with your announcement, I have started to look for one and may buy one when I see it. Yeah, like I need more kits that I am not building :)

Keep up the good, no great work and I am sure I will have to dust off some old kits in my stash when you announce yet more obscure subjects.

Hello Kursad,

Any chances to see one or two french P5M in this project ?

The Aeronavale had a couple of paint schemes that would be nice to replicate (the old Hasegawa decal sheet is just a "joke"...).

Here are a few exemples:

http://a400.idata.over-blog.com/600x243/1/95/08/26/Martin-P5M-2-Marlin/MARLIN--27-F5--2-.jpg

http://jlbs.pagesperso-orange.fr/marine/mrl_442.jpg

http://i40.servimg.com/u/f40/09/00/36/45/marlin10.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/cd/e1/13/cde113a4c5c387a2cd96ac2c92c0eaaf.jpg

Thanks in advance !!!

I planned to include both Aeronavale schemes on day one - I am working on them, and they will be included.

Thanks Kursad ! This is a great news !

Let me know if you need further info on these frenchies.

I have the 2 Air Fan (french magazine) dealing with the subject.

There is also an old "Fana de l'Aviation" with some color profiles that might be handy for you.

Best regards

Alex CL-215 Forever

Thanks Kursad ! This is a great news !

Let me know if you need further info on these frenchies.

Well, since you asked ;-)

I was able to draw an Aeronavale insignia and a Flotille 27 badge that I think are more or less accurate for the period. The national insignia was more difficult than I thought at first : I found out that it is fairly different from the modern Aeronavale insignia as applied on the Super Etendard or Rafales; so I had to work from older photos and had to guess some aspects of the design. Same for the Flotille 27 insignia. Here is what I was able to do:

aeronavale_drafts.jpg

I could definitely use some help with the anchor on the rudder of the older scheme. If any of the French sources have a close-up or clear side view of the anchor as applied to the rudder, it would be very helpful. The aspect ratio suggests that it is not as simple as reusing the anchor on the insignia.

Hello Kursad,

According to the drawings published in the "Fana de l'Aéronautique", and few pics from internet, the roundels seem to be of the following type:

MAR-54-02-R25.jpg?1a49f3

(here applied on an Helldiver of the same era). Note that the white gap (horizontal) on the anchor (below the blue roundel) does not seem to be present on the Marlin.

The anchor located on the rudder is similar to the roundel one, but narrower (I would guess 14mm x 21mm, in scale).

Your 27F insigna looks ok.

From what I could gather, there were 4 paint schemes along the life of the Marlin in french service.

- Factory overall blue-grey (except the white underwings and bottom of the hull) with blue-white-red rudder, very small BuNo.

- Same as above but with addition of white Flotille and Acft # (ie 27.F-1 or 27.F-5)

- Same as second type, but White fuselage top (to reduce the temperature inside) and lighter radome

- Same as third type, but with last 3 digits of BuNo in lieu of the Flotille #. Note that the font used for these 3 digits is slightly different than the USAF one. The AFT seem to be 11 mm height while the nose is approx 5.5 mm.

I hope this helps

Regards

Alex CL-215 Forever

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Full set of profiles coming soon - the seven options on this sheet are:

- SP-5B Bu.No. 135527, VP-49

- SP-5B Bu.No. 135539, VP-48

- SP-5B Bu.No. 135482, VP-48 (w/sharkmouth)

- SP-5B Bu.No. 135505, VP-45

- SP-5B Bu.No. 137931, VP-31

- SP-5B "27F-4", Aeronavale 27 Flotille

- SP-5B "440", Aeronavale 27 Flotille

marlindraft.jpgcd72040b.jpg

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 weeks later...