Let's talk trumpeter 1/48 MiG-21F & MF

First of all, can anyone give me a reason for the new Trumpeter MF kit? Is there anything wrong with the Eduard kit which the trumpeter kit fixes? Also why is the Trumpeter kit more expensive than the state of the art Eduard kit? (rhetorical question) What are the major problems with F-13 kit if any? I know that I am opening a can of worms with this new post but it's always fun to read.377.gif

First of all, can anyone give me a reason for the new Trumpeter MF kit?

It makes Trumpeter money...

Is there anything wrong with the Eduard kit which the trumpeter kit fixes?

For them, it doesn't say Trumpeter on the box. For us modelers, Eduard's is far and away the best so far.

Also why is the Trumpeter kit more expensive than the state of the art Eduard kit?

Depends where you shop. I think you pointed out how cheap the Trumpeter Floggers were and for that, I thank you!

(rhetorical question) What are the major problems with F-13 kit if any?

Answered above.

By the way, I have the Trumpeter MiG-21MF kit to compare with an unbuilt Eduard kit. Sometimes, one gets burned (the feeling of buying Trumpeter's Fishbed).

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth
Downscales of the 32nd ones with the same errors.

Otto is probably speaking of the MF kit.

From what I've seen the 1/48 kit doesn't look like the 1/32 kit. It has a weird bubble profiled canopy.

Anyone have the link to the "Britmodeler" thread that "chops" the F-13 kit? I am not a cockpit guy so the details missing or improper there don't bother me. I just want to know about any "blatant" shape and dimensional inaccuracies. I figured that the MF was just a Joke for the "Western world" I was just wondering, that's all. I guess a nation must employ its Billions somehow. Even if it's with redundancies. I don't know myself why I bother asking any questions about Trumpeter. Since I should know in advance that nothing good will come of the answers I am seeking. I should know better than to even consider anything which has the label "Trumpeter". But I will also admit that this is not true about everything which has the words "Made in China" on it. I guess they did buy Volvo and moved the plant to China. I wonder how that will go. Anyways -- back to subject. Eliminate the 21MF altogether. Even the OEZ/Smer is a better kit (replacing the canopy of course) So please point me to the Britmodelr thread please. Or please point out dimensional or shape inaccuracies. Kind of like what we are doing with the MiG-23BN threads. I do have two of the F-13 kits and plan on building a Recie bird from the Czech air force. and one other, not yet decided on that paint scheme but it will be Czech and if possible, not silver and with closed canopies, just a basic cockpit Eduard Interior.

Edited by Otto
Even the OEZ/Smer is a better kit (replacing the canopy of course)

I'm not sure about that. It's likely that the Trumpy 1/48 MF with a new canopy would be better than the OEZ MiG.

Edited by Laurent

Two reasons why the OEZ kit is better. One) I have 4 of them in my stash. Two) they can be had for a song. Yes the wings have to be thinned out but that's simple. I even have two spare sets of wings and surfaces from Academy kits to use if I want to get fancy. whistle.gifnewbanana.gif

Hay "Sharkmouth" I have just found one F-13 in the CZAF #0304 which is right up your alley It has a shark mouth on it but it is silver. "Kopro" has a decal sheet which has every F-13 (S-106) in the czech inventory and it is on there. It is their decal sheet #91170

<div><br></div>

Edited by Otto

Yes Saul, Please, show us some photo comparison of the two kits, it would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Simon ( who ask you : have you checked if your mig-29ub has its two tails in the box finally?)

Edited by mingwin

Hay "Sharkmouth" I have just found one F-13 in the CZAF #0304 which is right up your alley It has a shark mouth on it but it is silver. "Kopro" has a decal sheet which has every F-13 (S-106) in the czech inventory and it is on there. It is their decal sheet #91170

I have it and it is my intent! :D

I'll see if I get some time this weekend to post up the photos. I might even have an old OEZ MiG-21MF/BIB/SMT still on sprue trees.

Regards,

Considering that in my part of the world Eduard can be had cheap, especially the overtrees options for those with decals and acessory stashes, I don't see any chance of ever buying any Trumpeter Mig-21 kit.

The Trumpy F-13 was shot down - tho it is apparently accurate in outline I believe the comment was "no panel line is in a correct place".

Having seen the -21UM kit, it's too expensive for a bash with Eduard, I will wait for the Eduard release.

Theoretically, Trumpeter could improve their game, but practically? I won't hold my breath.

Vedran

The milimeter brigade

A very interesting can of worms though, even if I'm mostly interested in the 32nd offering of the MF. Love or hate Trumpeter, sometimes they do get it right and they do kits other manufacturers wouldn't dream touching, in my beloved 32nd scale to boot. I keep thinking about doing this unbelievably awesome MF in 32nd http://miprofiles.i.m.f.unblog.fr/files/2015/10/mig-21-mf-8208.jpg but sooo much work phew

I don't think the 1/32 MF is particularly accurate. I think the cone angle is a little too small and the canopy has some shape problem (front as wide as the rear; front should be wider than the rear. Perhaps there are other things. I don't know as I got rid of it.

Considering that in my part of the world Eduard can be had cheap, especially the overtrees options for those with decals and acessory stashes, I don't see any chance of ever buying any Trumpeter Mig-21 kit.

The Trumpy F-13 was shot down - tho it is apparently accurate in outline I believe the comment was "no panel line is in a correct place".

Having seen the -21UM kit, it's too expensive for a bash with Eduard, I will wait for the Eduard release.

Theoretically, Trumpeter could improve their game, but practically? I won't hold my breath.

Vedran

The milimeter brigade

I do have two of the UM kits which I got for about $22 each so I will build them. If here in the US we could get the overtrees for a decant price i would buy them but they are virtually as expensive as the complete kits. How far off IS the UM kit from Trumpeter? What Eduard components could be used to make it more accurate?

I don't think the 1/32 MF is particularly accurate. I think the cone angle is a little too small and the canopy has some shape problem (front as wide as the rear; front should be wider than the rear. Perhaps there are other things. I don't know as I got rid of it.

Yeah that's what I meant with lots of work :( I'm looking at a rescribe and a lot of reshaping, and probably vacuforming my own canopy. Nothing really intimidating technically, but the amount of work is giving me pause... and it looks to be what you'd get with the 48 one as well, in 32nd the size is easier to work with at least.

I just wish Eduard would do an F and UM. I guess, since they deemed the bis nose not worth it, that they feel they've done "enough" with 21s and have moved on to other subjects completely.

Trumpeter have historically not had any issue with directly stealing the work of others, like they copied Zactomans correction for the 32nd Su-27 nose, so I find it weird that they seemingly have not even glanced at the Eduard examples which are several years older, 2011 vs 2015?