1/48 SU-35...?

I was pondering the thought about if the new, upcoming, HB 1/48 SU-27 kit could be done as a SU-35. So far these are the changes that I have seen externally...

Test shots of the new 1/48 HB SU-27 kit

1668646.jpg

1) New tail boom shape, inclusion of a inflight refueling probe. This would mean new fuselage halves.

2) No pitot tube on radome. A new radome would have to be tooled.

3) New intakes would need to be retooled. No ECM(?) fairing.

4) Twin nose wheels. New wheels need to be added to the kit.

5) New tails(?)

6) A new cockpit perhaps?

7) Add another set of weapon pylons(?)

8) New exhaust's(?)

9) IRST position. New canopy needed.

I have probably missed a number of things, but these are the few basic changes that HB need to do to the SU-27 molds to do a SU-35.

Just looking at the test shots, do you think HB will make the necessary changes to the mold to do a SU-35?

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Edited by f-16

the testshots you linked , is a twin seater flanker. you won't be able do to a Su-35S from it.

they have announced a J-11 (chinese copy of Su-27sk single seater) ...but i'll wait for a Su-27 before doing such project on the HB kit.

from what i can see in the images in your link, HB seems to have engineer the front end of fuselage in a fashion that will allow modularity (for different IRST) ...so maybe HB will think of a Su-35S in the future... who knows... china was supposed to order 24 or more Su-35S...

Edited by mingwin
Just looking at the test shots, do you think HB will make the necessary changes to the mold to do a SU-35?

I think the current hope is that they do the necessary changes to do a better Su-27UB kit first (it seems the 1/48 UB kit is a scaled down 1/32 UB kit so e.g. the windscreen is much too narrow to be ignored). Hopefully the supposedly soon to be released J-11B kit will be better.

Edited by ijozic

I have covered the changes here before;

Copy pasting the list i made a while back here as Mingwin's and Shorty84's lack a few things;

Difference between Su-35S and Su-27 are fairly big, hopefully they covered the major things that are in bold:

Su-35S changes:

- New cockpit. Or just new IP, depending how detailed you wanna do it.

- Move IRST

- New stinger tail with lots of new shapes.

- Differences on vertical fins, like bigger rudders.

- TVC engines.

- New pylons

- New front landing gear with two wheels.

- Refuel probe.

- Lacks airbrake, it is replaced by rudders operating outwards during the landing.

- New sensors around the nose.

- Lenghtwise Su-35S is the same, but notice different proportions in nose area. Radome is shorter, area between windsheild and radome is longer.(just a matter of rescribing)

- Sensor behind the canopy.

- "Sharp" nose, with no pitot.

- Antennas here and there.

- A few new intakes on upper and lower fuselage (engine area)

- A few other smaller details.

- Smaller ventral fins/stabs.

Since then there has been more changes to new, starting from 2014 production Su-35S frames where the most major change is the flare boxes on stinger being moved to the underside.

0_1232d4_f6ea91f2_orig.jpg

0_1232d3_e54b27d1_orig.jpg

A number of those are for serial frames and shouldn't be added to the prototypes like 901 and 902. (902 will be undergoing modifications to test stuff for the Chinese contract btw.:thumbsup:)

Oops... I was referring to when HB does the single seat version.

My hope is that IF HB does a SU-35, then maybe they will fix the wheel wells with a new fuselage part?

I thought I saw that there is/was a two seat SU-35 somewhere?

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

the Su-35Ub (the only su-35 twin seater i know) has very little to do with the Su-35S (it was a development aircraft designed , kind of a Su-30 with canards and extended tails as on su-30mkk)

Edited by mingwin

Oops... I was referring to when HB does the single seat version.

My hope is that IF HB does a SU-35, then maybe they will fix the wheel wells with a new fuselage part?

I thought I saw that there is/was a two seat SU-35 somewhere?

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Scott, to be picky; it is called Su-35S. There are basically two families of Su-35;

1; The old soviet one, also known as T-10M. It has larger frame and canards.

2; The modern one, which 902 is the prototype of. It doesn't canards (it has TVC instead) and frame is like Su-27 in the overall size and dimensions.

There is one two seater version of the soviet Su-35, called Su-35UB. There is no version, or plans, to make a two-seater Su-35S.

I would say now that China has finally committed to buying 24 Su-35S' the chances of HB doing a Su-35S has increased a lot. The question is whether they will get it right... I am personally just happy with that there is an excellent kit of it in 1/72. :)

Scott, to be picky; it is called Su-35S. There are basically two families of Su-35;

1; The old soviet one, also known as T-10M. It has larger frame and canards.

2; The modern one, which 902 is the prototype of. It doesn't canards (it has TVC instead) and frame is like Su-27 in the overall size and dimensions.

You mean, there is the Su-35 (Su-35S), the early Su-35 (T-10M) and the early early Su-35 (Su-27). There, much simpler I think ;) (JK)

Edited by ijozic