Decals - VMFA-212 Lancers 1/32 Scale A-4

I recently built Tamiya's 1/32 scale F-4 Phantom. I used the Midway decals because my brother was on that ship. Now I'm hooked on 1/32 scale aircraft, but with a history note in mind. I am trying to locate decals for my 1/32 scale Hasegawa A-4 Skyhawk for VFMA-212 (Lancers) off the USS Oriskany (Vietnam 1965).

I have searched seemingly all suppliers to no avail. I have several friends who swear by the information the have recieved on this site, you folks are my last hope.

Any help or direction, or even experiences will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Randy

Boy, that's a tough one. As very few aftermarket decals were made for the 1/32 A-4 I'm not surprised your having a hard time finding them. If you have decent references you may be able to have custom decals made for the kit. There's a gentleman named Barney Kable who's gotten kudos lately for making great custom decals. I'll pm his email to you.

Randy,

The reason you are not finding anything is that VMF(AW)-212 was in the F-8E on the Oriskany cruise, not the A-4. As there is no decent available 1/32nd F-8 kit, there are no aftermarket decals in 1/32nd for the Crusader. Fox One just released a 1/48th F-8 sheet, Ben's last, unfortunately, that includes VMF(AW)-212, and Superscale did them as well, but in 1/32nd you are out of luck.

Cheers,

Tom

Okay folks, a little research later..... I am looking for the designation of the A-4B Skyhawk group, the Lancers on Yankee Station in 1965 (The group John McCain belonged to). Research shows the group (Lancers) was designated VMA-212 in 1958 operating FJ-4B Furys. In 1961 the A4D-2 Skyhawks were added, they were soon redesignated A-4B.

In 1963 upon taking delivery of the F-8B Crusaders they were redesignated VMF-212. Other designations, including the group of Gen Stockdale was VMF(AW)-212. I also saw the designation VMFA-212 on a page related to the history of the Oriskany.

Confused yet? My head exploded sometime ago. I am looking for the group designation of McCain's group of A-4's. The group that attacked the power generating plant in the city, the one McCain and the others belonged to when they were shot down and shipped off to the Hanoi Hilton. I know for sure only two things, they were Marines and they flew A-4's. I THINK they were Lancers and I THINK they were VMA-212.

The Hasegawa kit comes with decals for VA-212, but only NAVY lettering, and the "Crest" or "logo" does not match the Lancers patch. I have researched VMA-212, Oriskany and Lancers and the above info is from those web sites. Maybe they question is actually more confusing then the answer, I can only hope.

Thanks,

Randy