Any thought of doing some Natural Metal F-104s? I just started mine, I love the options on the Hasegawa decals, but they are thick and yellow. Yuck. There are so few choices available.

Help me Kursad-wan...you are our only hope.

:ditto: This gentleman ^ beat me to the punch by minutes! And he is spot-on; the massive Victory Productions set is now rarer than a finished build by me, and unless you want a non-USAF 104 what are the current aftermarket options...?! Zip-a-dee-doo-dah.

KursadA, I know you're pacing the floor twiddling your thumbs at the moment (:rofl:); this could be your passport to riches and fame! Do it for your Country, do it for ARC -DO IT TODAY!!! :salute:

Don't forget to mention DACO - having big decal sets for GAF anf BAF, including also NMF Starfighters! I m sure Kursad knows about that and will not start to release something that another company already made in a very good quality! (Example: same with GAF Alpha jet, BAF Alpha, BAF Mirages...).

If Kursad wants to release 'export' markings in tandem with USAF ones he must know what he's doing. I would have thought, however, that there were enough NMF and/or SEA USAF schemes to make a good selection in themselves. IMO, these are the ones that would fit nicely where there is currently a big black hole...

Canadian, European, Japanese and Scandinavian decals seem readily available (if not exactly plentiful), but I can't find any US markings for NMF airframes at all, other than a solitary, rather bland example on a Model Alliance sheet (which I bought for the Spanish one!) :dontknow:

Edited by ChippyWho

If Kursad wants to release 'export' markings in tandem with USAF ones he must know what he's doing. I would have thought, however, that there were enough NMF and/or SEA USAF schemes to make a good selection in themselves. IMO, these are the ones that would fit nicely where there is currently a big black hole...

Canadian, European, Japanese and Scandinavian decals seem readily available (if not exactly plentiful), but I can't find any US markings for NMF airframes at all, other than a solitary, rather bland example on a Model Alliance sheet (which I bought for the Spanish one!) :dontknow:/>

There aren't many USAF markings for Starfighters probably since the USAF only flew it for a short period of time and in that time only accepted 296 airframes ( low by US standards).

International countries flew their jets for much longer periods.

I am fortunate to have that Victory Productions sheet.

There aren't many USAF markings for Starfighters probably since the USAF only flew it for a short period of time and in that time only accepted 296 airframes ( low by US standards).

International countries flew their jets for much longer periods.

I am fortunate to have that Victory Productions sheet.

The number of aircraft in service doesn't really matter -only 23 TSR-2s were built and not a single one made it onto the field, yet Xtradecal manage to produce THREE SHEETS of fictional markings for the wretched thing!

The few F-104s that the USAF/ANG took on carried markings that were strikingly attractive (again, see CrowTRobot's example here on ARC) and a few that were utterly vile (the 'Really George' ones in the Hasegawa kit -did it really have whitewall tires? Ugh!). We need them all!!!

Great catch getting the VP set, Sir -if they were mine, I'd sleep with 'em under me pillow! Not that I'll get much sleep until I see what Kursad has in store for us... :boohoo:

Oh there are many attractive F-104A/B/C/D variations of the US possible:

337th, 538th, 436th, 435th, 56th, 83rd, 319th, 331st, 151st, 157th, 197th, 434th, 476th ... squadron.

Several NASA birds like YF-104A or F-104N, a NAVY F-104A, orange and red QF-104s of the Air Force Flight test Center and more.

And there is no 1/48 sheet on the market at the moment. CE and VP did some of them but they are out of order for a long time.

Edited by -dako-

The number of aircraft in service doesn't really matter -only 23 TSR-2s were built and not a single one made it onto the field, yet Xtradecal manage to produce THREE SHEETS of fictional markings for the wretched thing!

The few F-104s that the USAF/ANG took on carried markings that were strikingly attractive (again, see CrowTRobot's example here on ARC) and a few that were utterly vile (the 'Really George' ones in the Hasegawa kit -did it really have whitewall tires? Ugh!). We need them all!!!

Great catch getting the VP set, Sir -if they were mine, I'd sleep with 'em under me pillow! Not that I'll get much sleep until I see what Kursad has in store for us... :boohoo:/>

I am not saying I agree with there being so few decals, but the short history may be a reason why. The jet wasn't in USAF inventory long and the people who make decals sometimes focus what is talked about the most.

• 5 months later...

I am not saying I agree with there being so few decals, but the short history may be a reason why. The jet wasn't in USAF inventory long and the people who make decals sometimes focus what is talked about the most.

1958 to 1969 for the USAF and until 1975 for the ANG.I would love to build a ANG 104 but out side of the Victory sheet,nothing is out there ANG Starfighters

1958 to 1969 for the USAF and until 1975 for the ANG.I would love to build a ANG 104 but out side of the Victory sheet,nothing is out there ANG Starfighters

Propagteam had a set for F-104's with markings for a Puerto Rican F-104C in 1/72 scale.

SS853991_zpsba1be98c.jpg

The decals were thick and a PITA to use.

Propagteam had a set for F-104's with markings for a Puerto Rican F-104C in 1/72 scale.

SS853991_zpsba1be98c.jpg

The decals were thick and a PITA to use.

Nice,problem is I don't build 1/72.I always loved the bare metal 104's of Arizona,South Carolina,Tennessee,in the 60's I always checked out a book in school library that had pics of them along with ANG F-86D/L's,they just captured my attention when I flipped open the book.