CD48044 : Alpha Jet

The Kinetic 1/48 Alpha Jet kit is getting closer. I plan to cover all military operators of the Alpha Jet, current and former.

I've been working on this for a few months, and the layout is close to being finalized. More info and profiles on this later next week.

At around the same time, I will release a very comprehensive Patrouille de France sheet that will cover every special marking that was used by the team, including the latest 60th year markings. The 1/72 version (now being printed) was announced here earlier.

cdat7201_promo2t.jpg

Edited by KursadA

Please, you've gotta do this in 1/72 as well.

I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for a decent sheet of the Alpha Jet for years...the only stuff I've got so far is Portugese. I want to make Qatari, Nigerian, Thai, Moroccan, Ivorian and Egyptian versions as well.

And I will definitely do these in 1/72 as well.

Ok that's great news. If the colours are accurate, I'll one of the first to buy the 1/72 sheet. :)

If you need reference material for any of the exotic schemes, PM me and I'll send you some.

• 1 month later...

The first 1/48 international Alpha Jet sheet (CD48044) will contain markings for:

-France (7 options)

-Belgium (2 options)

-Egypt

-Cameroon

-Ivory Coast

-Togo

-Nigeria

I promised a two-sheet series that would cover all Alpha Jet user nations, so you can guess what would be on the second sheet.

I will post the final draft and profiles soon.

Edited by KursadA
  • 3 weeks later...

I am working on the final touches to this sheet. It will be an early October release - I already have an Alpha Jet sheet coming out in September (the Patrouille de France sheet).

There is lots of discussion and debate on the kit and its decal sheet in French forums, and I am following it. Rest assured that I will have a very complete and accurate set of markings for France and Belgium (and Egypt,Nigeria,Togo,Ivory Coast and Cameroon) on this sheet. I will post the final draft soon.

These are the French Air Force options on CD48044:

-Alpha Jet E15 ("314-TT")

-Alpha Jet E150 ("8-NF")

-Alpha Jet E101 ("314-TT") (This one carries the name "Le Grand Pierre on starboard nose)

-Alpha Jet E153 ("705-RU"), AJetS

-Alpha Jet E14 ("102-FG")

-Alpha Jet E140 ("2-FA")

-Alpha Jet E97 ("102-MB")

cd48044p1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just an update on the first Alpha Jet sheet: This was originally destined for an October release, but I decided to delay it for a little bit after I received more reference material on the Egyptian Alpha Jet scheme with high-conspicuity orange ID markings. The sheet has been modified to include markings for this Egyptian scheme and Qatari aircraft.

So the first sheet will cover: France, Belgium, Egypt, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Togo, Nigeria and Morocco.

Edited by KursadA
  • 3 weeks later...

The first AlphaJet sheet will be coming soon - the options on this sheet are:

-France (7 options; both the older gray/green camo, and the newer gray scheme)

-Belgium (2 options; both the older SEA camo, and the newer gray scheme)

-Egypt (with large orange ID panels on tail,wings and spine like their fighters)

-Cameroon

-Nigeria

-Qatar

-Togo

-Ivory Coast

-Morocco

Edited by KursadA

Kursad, you forgot fin flashes for the Nigerian scheme. Although the latest pics show a roundel on the tail, this is only a recent change. For years Nigerian Alpha jets had fin flashes both on the desert scheme and grey scheme. Apart from that the colours you have chosen on the sheet look very accurate, although the sienna/ochre in the Qatari roundels needs to be a tad darker.

Edited by supacruze

I don't think I forgot anything, and the markings on the sheet are accurate for the scheme I chose. The aircraft I depict on the sheet (NAF 471) clearly wears a roundel on its tail; as seen in the photo below. The decals depict this specific Nigerian aircraft at this specific time, hence roundels at six points are absolutely accurate.

NAF471AlphaJetNGEA2.jpg

I will also have to disagree with your finding that the tail roundels are a recent addition: I pored over literally hundreds of Alpha Jet photos from all nations to design my two-sheet Alpha Jet series over the last few months. With the exception of a couple very recent photos that were clearly taken after the recent repaint/overhaul; every single one of them shows a roundel on the tail. I concluded that the application of a roundel on the tail was general practice for the Nigerian Alpha Jet fleet most of the 1990s and 2000s.

naf_aj2.jpg

naf_aj3.jpg

naf_aj4.jpg

Edited by KursadA

Well, I prespect your position, you are after all paying for the print run so the choice is yours. Of course the scheme is accurate for that specific aircraft. I would have preferred a choice of serials nos and schemes, myself. I too have done the same as you, I have a large number of publications featuring the Alpha Jet and I can assure you that not a single pic in my collection shows Nigerian Alpha Jets with roundels on the tail, all show fin flashes. Only have I ever seen the the Nigerian MiG-17 with roundels on the tail. It was only when I did a Google search yesterday that I discovered that roundels have been applied to the tail on the Alpha Jet. I have been collecting images of the Alpha Jet and other a/c since the 80's and in all that time I have never seen roundels on the tail till yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...

This sheet's been delayed a little bit, but it is being printed. Last month was especially busy in my main job, hence the delay. I doubt it will be ready before the new year.

Edited by KursadA
  • 1 month later...

I had to postpone and redesign this sheet to reduce its cost a little bit, and it will be back from the printer soon. However, there is still some work that needs to be done for the instruction sheets - there are many different camouflage schemes on the sheet and it will take me a while to identify the colors, draw the profiles, etc. But it is certainly on the way.

Edited by KursadA
  • 1 month later...

I had to postpone and redesign this sheet to reduce its cost a little bit, and it will be back from the printer soon. However, there is still some work that needs to be done for the instruction sheets - there are many different camouflage schemes on the sheet and it will take me a while to identify the colors, draw the profiles, etc. But it is certainly on the way.

Any update for us still waiting for German decal option:-)

Thanks

P