CD48074 - Fighters of Austin

No Monday would be complete without a new sheet announcement; so here goes: CD48074 "Fighters of Austin" would be a tribute to the city I live in, and would feature markings for several fighter types that were once based at Bergstrom AFB (now the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport). F-4D, F-4E and F-16s from 924 TFG "Outlaws", and possibly an F-101A from 27th FBW.

I will make this a limited release of 300 sheets, mostly because I expect it to be of somewhat local interest. But those cloud camouflage F-4Es sure look nice!

Coming sometime in the near future. It will be my first multi-subject sheet, and I will definitely do more if the concept works out for me.

f4e%2074-1040_jpg.jpg

Edited by KursadA

I was the "Outlaws" maintenance officer during those years. I've got copies of the unit's sketches of that scheme submitted to AFRC/LG for approval prior to the unit painting those jets. I still have photos mostly of the "E"s including one with a copper tinted windscreen. I never saw that on another E anywhere. The light gray is one of the ghost grays. The darker gray was another FS 26000 series color I can't recall from the keyboard but have it with some swatches I actually collected while they were getting painted. Everything on those jets was pristine; the gear wells and struts were repainted, the hook shanks sanded and polished etc. They won first place for appearance at Gunsmoke but I can't remember which year(s).

As a footnote, that was an interesting unit...very "Austin" in culture so full of interesting people. I was assigned there 'til we shut it down.

BTW, I've emailed Kursad over the past years to share info but never got a reply.

I'm genuinely sorry : I try to respond to every e-mail I get, but on average I get more than 10-15 lengthy e-mails a day; many of these containing photos, documents and suggestions for subjects. Occasionally things fall through the cracks and I can't respond to them in time - it would be impossible to respond to everything and sustain the release schedule I have. I would appreciate it if you can let me know if you find out what the colors were - there is a lot of interest in this project and I would like to get things right.

Edited by KursadA
  • 1 month later...

Final draft of this sheet; coming sometime in mid December. I will post profiles after I deal with the huge backlog of orders/preorders for this month's releases. The options on this limited (300 sheets) release are:

-F-4E 74-1040 (924FG flagship)

-F-4E 74-0629

-F-4E 72-0135

-F-4D 66-7740

-F-4D 66-7768

-F-4D 66-7641 (SEA camouflage)

-F-16A 82-1007 (704FS flagship)

-F-16A 83-0078

all belonging to 704FS, based at former Bergstrom AFB in Austin.

cd48074draft.jpg

Looking very good, KursadA :thumbsup:/> :thumbsup:/>

Just curious - is the gray tail markings dark enough to show op well on FS36270 background colors?

Sorry, but have to ask as I have been dissappointed on this in the past with other Suppliers who messed this up, and the sheet above seems a bit light in color?

Just a reference to show what I mean; http://www.f-16.net/g3/f-16-photos/album38/album67/82-1022

Thanks!

Edited by Niels

Hi Niels,

The printers do not match the colors on the original design visually - they get a listing of what exact color to use for every individual color on the decal sheet. In this case these markings will be printed in FS36118. I tend to use a lighter color on my designs; but the printers know to match it to FS36118 in the printing stage.

The light gray is one of the ghost grays. The darker gray was another FS 26000 series color

I was always under the impression that the Cloud Grey scheme was a variation of the Hill Grey scheme with a semi gloss sheen, which is FS26118 and 26270? Look forward to your clarification.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...