CD72045 - Douglas C-54/R5D Skymaster Part 2

CD72045 will be my second C-54 sheet. The first sheet with Blue Angels and two USAF options has been very successful and is selling fast(*).

The second sheet will have markings for a USAF MATS aircraft, a SC-54 in high-visibility rescue markings, and a couple other USAF/USN options. More info to come once the current shipping frenzy is really over in a couple of days.

(*): I have only printed 300 of this sheet, so order yours now if you don't want to find yourself asking "has anyone done Blue Angels markings for the C-54??" in two years.

Edited by KursadA

(*): I have only printed 300 of this sheet, so order yours now if you don't want to find yourself asking "has anyone done Blue Angels markings for the C-54??" in two years.

Damn...scared me into buying another Caracal sheet!

Brilliant marketing...

Will 72045 be the sheet with the Thunderbird markings? Along the same lines, has anyone suggested T-bird markings for the Constellation and/or C-123? All look great in red, white, and blue.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have designed the Thunderbirds markings earlier, and reached the conclusion that I would have to dedicate a complete sheet to this subject. The third (and last) C-54 sheet will be the Thunderbirds sheet. It is already sent to be printed, although I will not be able to release it in December.

The second sheet will not have Thunderbirds markings, but I hope the MATS, SC-54 rescue scheme and VX-6 schemes will be of interest to many of you.

Hi Chris,

I have designed the Thunderbirds markings earlier, and reached the conclusion that I would have to dedicate a complete sheet to this subject. The third (and last) C-54 sheet will be the Thunderbirds sheet. It is already sent to be printed, although I will not be able to release it in December.

The second sheet will not have Thunderbirds markings, but I hope the MATS, SC-54 rescue scheme and VX-6 schemes will be of interest to many of you.

I look forward to seeing them.

Thanks,

Chris

• 1 month later...

Look at this beauty - too bad I do not have any space for it on any of the sheets I have planned, but it would have looked awesome in 1/72 scale:

I bet it would fit on a 4th sheet! just sayin...besides, you can't be sued by a defunct company!

Edited by Corey

I bet it would fit on a 4th sheet! just sayin...besides, you can't be sued by a defunct company!

Haha..touché! There is the issue of that big tank under the fuselage though. I also need to see what the wings looked like; but I am really tempted..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FInal draft of the second C-54 sheet : a total of 7 USAF/USN options on this one, including a WWII-era olive drab/neutral gray option, a MATS example, two different SC-54, US Navy Test Pilots School, etc. I am too busy to draw profiles right now, but will post them once I ship all preorders for the current batch.

There is a second, smaller sheet with some of the black markings that did not fit on the main sheet. The third sheet is the common US insignia sheet that was also included in CD72035.

cd72045draft.jpg

• 1 month later...

These decals also arrived in this month's batch.

However, it looks like I missed one small but crucial marking during the design phase. Unfortunately I will have to wait for an insert to be printed, which means that I will not be able to start selling them this month.

They will be available in April.

c542a.jpg

c542b.jpg

would you like to show us the schemes? *cantwait

Here are the first few - there are four more not shown here (2 x USAF SC-54, Michigan ANG, 1 x WWII era olive drab/neutral gray)

Edited by KursadA
  • 1 month later...

I like the look of the VX6 scheme, from memory it was one of these that landed out our local airport, flying in support of Operation Deep freeze to Antarctica. I could well be tempted. :)

Steve.

esnv9.jpg

It is not in the works - It is mostly done already, ready to be printed for the next batch after I tweak a couple of things.

As anyone who read this thread knows, I had to delay the C-54 Part 2 sheet because I missed a couple of markings and had to wait for an insert to be printed. Stuff happens. This is why the Part 3 had slipped to July/August. I will not be offering two costly C-54 sheets in the same month - I need to space them at least one release cycle to reduce the risk a bit. Rest assured that it is coming soon!

Edited by KursadA