Trumpeter MiG-21UM 1/48

yeah, it doesn't look bad at first glance...

accuracy-wise, i'm no expert, bu since it doesn't have the same tail nor same canopy as their F-13, there should be, at least, two area where that model is more accurate!

seems they have used as much common part they used for their other 1/48 Fishbeds... their F-13 was an enjoyable straight forward build kit...

i'll surely get that one to complete my MiG-21 model family!

thanks for the head up Petarvu70.gif

interesting conclusion. Tail and canopy of the UM and F-13 ARE different...

that was EXACTLY what i've said... and means exactly this...

and as the UM canopy shape is rather simple and straight foward (as opposed to the more subtile shape of the F-13)...one could expect they don't screw it too much...

to a lesser extend, the same could be expected for the tail...

there was other area where the trumpeter's F-13 fails on accuracy... but not sure that they'll be adressed/corrected on the UM kit.

Edited by mingwin

that was EXACTLY what i've said... and means exactly this...

and as the UM canopy shape is rather simple and straight foward (as opposed to the more subtile shape of the F-13)...one could expect they don't screw it too much...

to a lesser extend, the same could be expected for the tail...

there was other area where the trumpeter's F-13 fails on accuracy... but not sure that they'll be adressed/corrected on the UM kit.

Has an exhaustive list of errors in the Trumpeter F-13 been posted anywhere? There was lots of heat generated on this forum upon its release, but I've never seen the details.

Thanks

Jon

Has an exhaustive list of errors in the Trumpeter F-13 been posted anywhere? There was lots of heat generated on this forum upon its release, but I've never seen the details.

Thanks

Jon

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=257354&st=60&p=2464756&hl=f-13&fromsearch=1entry2464756

Thanks

Jon

No, not an exhaustive list of errors on that kit have been made... it would be a rather long list of bigger and smaller things...(and that kind of thing is hard to do by these day...without it turns into flame war between the rivetcounters crowd againt the "goodenuff-shut-up-and-praise-the-lord"crowd...)

but to me, the biggest bugger was the shape of the nose (between the intake lip and windshield, that would require lots of putty to make it straight, instead of a slightly concave curve...and rescribing...) the shape of the canopy that should be more like a waterdrop instead of a boob (ther most proeminent point of the curvature being closer to the armored plate, than to the middle of the canopy) ...the tail, the joint with the spine section is wrong (they should have copied what Academy does on their PF early type tail) with wrong rudder shape, wrong joint between tail trailing edge and fuselage... without talking of missing bumps, wrong panel shape, wrong wheel wells shape...etc.

still, an acceptable model could be made out of it without too much efforts, and it will looks OK from some angles...here's mine!

Edited by mingwin

No, not an exhaustive list of errors on that kit have been made... it would be a rather long list of bigger and smaller things...(and that kind of thing is hard to do by these day...without it turns into flame war between the rivetcounters crowd againt the "goodenuff-shut-up-and-praise-the-lord"crowd...)

but to me, the biggest bugger was the shape of the nose (between the intake lip and windshield, that would require lots of putty to make it straight, instead of a slightly concave curve...and rescribing...) the shape of the canopy that should be more like a waterdrop instead of a boob (ther most proeminent point of the curvature being closer to the armored plate, than to the middle of the canopy) ...the tail, the joint with the spine section is wrong (they should have copied what Academy does on their PF early type tail) with wrong rudder shape, wrong joint between tail trailing edge and fuselage... without talking of missing bumps, wrong panel shape, wrong wheel wells shape...etc.

still, an acceptable model could be made out of it without too much efforts, and it will looks OK from some angles...here's mine!

Thanks. All very helpful.

Cheers

Jon