CD72046 - DHC-6 Twin Otter

CD72046 will be a 1/72 scale sheet dedicated to the DHC-6 Twin Otter. I will cover mostly military operators : US Army, Norway (including those with the low-vis insignia), Chile, British Antarctic Survey, and a few others if space allows. Coming in early 2016. This profile is an incomplete draft, but it should give you a general idea:

cd72046promo1.png

Edited by KursadA

Given that the Matchbox/ Revell kits come with decals for the yellow Canadian rescue birds, what else 'military' could there be portrayed as Canadian?

Note: European-cannot-know-it-all-wannabe-modeler asking :)/>/>

ac_205.jpg

ai-viking-guardian-400-2.jpg

Edited by Bill-TGH

Given that the Matchbox/ Revell kits come with decals for the yellow Canadian rescue birds, what else 'military' could there be portrayed as Canadian?

Note: European-cannot-know-it-all-wannabe-modeler asking :)/>

Their decals are awful and they don't include the FIP markings.

The USAF Academy UV-18 will be there on the sheet. As for the Canadian rescue scheme, I am not sure. It was done in almost all major reboxings of the kit; so presumably anyone who has the kit has a set. I am sure I can bring some improvement, but let's see if I have enough space on the sheet when I get to the layout phase.

If anyone has close-up images of the various badges and markings on the nose of Argentinian aircraft (particularly T-82), please let me know. I think I have looked at almost all online sources already.

Kurasad, which paint schemes of the Chilean AF are you planning to do? Chilean twins have worn at least 8 different paint schemes in their life time.

I have plenty of info, just let me know if you need it.

Cheers!!

Andrés Alvarado

Please check your email box, Kursad. :thumbsup:/>

Hi Luis,

These photos were very helpful, thanks. I think I now have most of what I need.

.. paint schemes of the Chilean AF are you planning to do?

Hi Andres,

I would like to cover the current polar(overall red) and overall gray schemes. I think I have most of what I need, but some close-ups of the markings would be very helpful.

Edited by KursadA

As for the Canadian rescue scheme, I am not sure. It was done in almost all major reboxings of the kit; so presumably anyone who has the kit has a set. I am sure I can bring some improvement, but let's see if I have enough space on the sheet when I get to the layout phase.

They are very poor quality decals. As well, the white scheme was never done.

We also loaned one of our aircraft to th RCMP. It was during the Oka Crisis in Canada and it was supposed to be a secret operation. The aircraft was painted white and carried both civilian and military registration. I was part of the operation and likely I am one of the few people to have pictures of this aircraft.

I lost three squadron mates in 1984 when Rescue 807 flew into the side of a mountain. It was an optical illusion. They were looking for another SAR aircraft that had gone down looking for an overdue plane. 6 observers were lost too.

Hi KursadA,

I´m sorry for the delay... do you have an email address where i can send the pics to you? Another thing, would you also consider on doing the SAR scheme? I did a quick profile of it:

twin%20otter.jpg

Cheers!

Andrés

You can send them to "info@caracalmodels.com". The SAR scheme looks simple enough - please send me any reference photos you might have and I will consider adding them. Thanks!

I guess I will have to add a Canadian option, then. I plan to do the current 440 Sqn markings. Can anyone post some photos of the white scheme so I can see what was different?

The white scheme was the first. Then there were several yellow schemes. There were a few aircraft painted white just for UN missions. Our loaner to the RCMP was painted white over the yellow.

I can get you pictures of the current scheme. An ex-Squadron mate of mine is the aerospace engineer in charge of all the maintainers in 440.

Thanks Kursad! Chris ordered my Hawaiian Eagle decals so they are on the way to me now, I appreciate that release as well.

You can send them to "info@caracalmodels.com". The SAR scheme looks simple enough - please send me any reference photos you might have and I will consider adding them. Thanks!

KursadA, check your mail please, info sent.

Cheers!!

"canadiennes"

dilemma_eh_01.jpg

That one is correct. it should be "canadiennes" in french but many anglophones assume it should be capitalised and paint it as such on the aircraft. I beleive that the painting standards originally had it with a capital but then many francophones compained (rightly so I guess, it is bad grammar) and it has since been changed.

This is all second hand info from a Canadian Forces pilot I was talking to about this exact item.

Sean

Edited by martin_sam_2000