CD48052 - USAF F-101A/C Voodoo

Now that we have an estimated shipping time for the Kitty Hawk 1/48 F-101A/C kit, I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be releasing at least one (possibly more) sheet for the kit.

Edited by KursadA
  • 4 months later...

Glen has posted some photos of the test shots, here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=273664&pid=2595732&st=0entry2595732

I have a finished design waiting for the release of this kit: I will send it to the printers soon after I see what will be on the kit decals and I confirm the fit of the shape-dependent elements on the actual kit.

• 2 weeks later...

The large rolls on my desk (my wife calls them the "holy scrolls", compare them to the size of the laptop) are the engineering drawings I ordered from the National Air & Space Museum library to figure out some of the markings and stencilling on the F-101A/C. As far as I know there is no museum example with original markings, so I had to go back to the source. The drawings(dated 1953-1954) are too large to photograph practically; but they yielded some very useful information.

scrolls1.jpg

scrolls2.jpg

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got some info on stencils. Mostly for the F-101B and camouflaged RFs, but some that would be applicable to the F-101A/C, if you're interested. I don't have them keyed to drawings to show their locations, yet, but I do have the text for a lot of them.

Ben

• 1 month later...

I finally received my kit yesterday. After some modifications to make sure my previous artwork fits the KH kit, I think I have material for not one, but two F-101A/C sheets. The kit decals have several shortcomings (made-up stencils, buzz code "FR" instead of "FB", the three-color 81st TFW tail marking is oversized for the kit tail, incorrect shaped "5" digits in serials, etc. I believe many of you want to do the large colorful three-color tail, so one of my sheets will provide an accurate set for this scheme. More information on these sheets when I am finished working on the layout.

Edited by KursadA

Some draft profiles for the first sheet (CD48052). These are just drafts, with most of the stencilling missing and some areas are in need of refining. CD48052 will have these two options in addition to a NACA aircraft and the "Operation Firewall" jet.

cd48052draft.jpg

As I mentioned above, I think the tri-color 81st TFW tail on the kit decal sheet is not done well, and I wanted to provide a more accurate and better-fitting alternative. I am sure the Operation Firewall and NACA markings will be popular, too. Profiles for these will be coming later as I finish working on them.

Edited by KursadA

Looking good on those profiles KursadA. I posted a comment on Britmodeller about the Kit decal issues and mentioned your proposed replacement plans so hopefully that will drum up more customers.

Cheers Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I am still working on final revisions and color adjustments, but this a fairly complete draft of CD48052. I will make this a limited (<300) release. This sheet includes accurate stencils, unlike the purely fictional (both in content and placement) stuff on the kit decal sheet. Once again, the image below is not final - I am still revising some elements and have not assigned final colors yet.

There will also be a small sheet with buzz numbers (already printed in this month's batch, see this photo) and a national insignia sheet (same as the one that came with the second F-101B sheet, already printed a few months ago)

cd48052draft.jpg

The options on the first sheet are:

- F-101A 54-1455 81st TFW

- F-101A 53-2426 "Operation Firewall" (world speed record)

- F-101A 53-2434 NACA/ ARDC

- F-101C 56-0020 78th TFS "Bushmasters"

Edited by KursadA

There are some good RF-101G photos that have been posted on the hyperscale jets forum. Judging from the parts in the kittyhawk kit, a G/H is definitely possible. That a/c with American Airlines logo on the nose would be cool! Hint hint!

Corey

• 3 weeks later...

It is on the way - I should receive the decals within a couple of weeks. I don't expect to be able to start selling them before the end of July, but they will be worth the wait. I will post an updated image with the final design, which had several important corrections thanks to Andy and his dad (who had seen the actual aircraft when they were based at Bentwaters).

I am also working on the second F-101A/C sheet, which I will release later in August.

• 1 month later...

The wait for well-printed, accurate F-101A/C decals is almost over. I received the decals today; and I should have these available for preorder sometime next week. This first sheet (there will be a second one if this does well) has markings for four F-101A/C and accurate stencilling.

aug01.jpg

aug02.jpg

aug03.jpg

Great stuff Kursad, sheets look nice and crisp with good colour matches. Will the second sheet be more A/C or will you be branching out in preparation for RF's?

Got lots more references available for you.

Cheers andy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...