• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Some progress has been made. I have studied the instructions on the AOA Decals CD and I have assembled the 1/48 GRU-7 from the Hobbyboss kit and the GRU-5 from Hypersonic models. This makes it easier to visualise the differences between the seats. I will make some modifications to the 1/72 Fujimi kit seats to make them look more like GRU-5's.

21606412400_d233096e37_z.jpgGRU-5&GRU7 by Stefan Buysse, on Flickr

I have also changed my mind about the subject: instead of a VMA(AW)-533 aircraft from 1972-73, I'll build this one as a VMA(AW)-242 one from 1966. The main reason is that I can just leave off the AN/APR-25 warning receivers with a Fujimi kit. I have some Italeri kits with these parts moulded in place that I use for later Intruders.

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi,

Here is the 1/72 seat from Fujimi in the first phase of its transformation into a GRU-5.

The headrest has been shortened in length. I intend to have the crew in there.

Before that, I will thin the seat cushions.

There is also a bomb with boxed fins in there. I Always found those pictures of modern jets using up WWII bombs fascinating. So, a VMA(AW)-242 Intruder from the 1966-67 era is the perfect opportunity to build one.

Mmm, I just called the Intruder a modern jet. I guess that ages me a bit. ;)

21259994454_a41871aa9e_z.jpgGRU-5 and bomb by Stefan Buysse, on Flickr

Cheers, Stefan.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

With less than 2 months to go, it's time time to show a little progress.

I have been airbrushing. The crewmembers were amongst the things that got a white coat. I'm going to add the tiny bats to the helmets, so I wanted to make sure the white was really good. The rest of the crew parts will be brushpainted.

The bombs got a first coat of green.

While I was working with white, I did some airframe parts too, like the underside of the wings.

24035750842_518837b9cb_z.jpgA-6 January 2016 by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Cheers, Stefan.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

The bombs now have the colour I wanted them to have.

I'll be adding fuse extenders to them.

I will not be adding yellow stripes. I like the look of yellow stripes on Mk-80's series bombs, but not these older ones.

I have been looking at some of the Skyraider shots that Jari posted on the props forum...quite variety of stripes there but nothing I feel like having on this model.

24212196572_356e24dfc6_z.jpgboxfinned bombs by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

I said in the previous post that I was going to add the "little bats" to the helmets. That was a mistake...there are tiny yellow lightnings. I knew I had something for the VMA(AW)-242 helmets, but I didn't check on the sheet what it was.

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi,

Nice link, Steve.

Some of the pictures look familiar, but I hadn't seen these colored bombs. Bobbie the weather girl (on page 12) was new to me too. B)/>

Interesting that they had these old bombs as late as 1969. I hope to build a couple of VMA(AW)-242's later markings as well, so it would be a good load-out for the one with the 1969-70 markings.

The one thing that always disturbes me most about the Hobbyboss 1/48 A-6A is how skinny the ALQ-100 antenna's are. Some of the pictures show how massive they really were.

Like this one http://www.summerswebnet.com/mytribute/vmaaw242/photos/CHRISA6Aa.JPG

My 1/72 crew is finally in the seats and the seats are in the tub.

They look good to the naked eye, but quite horrible in pictures. Adding the tiny lightning bolts to the visors did not go well: as soon as I put them on the white surface, I pretty much lost sight of them. I did succeed in applying the placards to the ejection seat's headrests. That was a useful confidence booster with all the stencils that lie ahead.

Cheers, Stefan.

Edited by Stefan buysse

Hi,

The fuselage has been closed up.

In front of the fuselage, you can see part 51 with small holes drilled in it for the rods for the FLAK curtains.

I gave up on the idea of installing the full curtains. The space between part 51 and the canopy gets rather narrow at the back and I don't like to use anything stronger than Future inside the clear parts. I also wouldn't like FLAK curtains that come loose inside the cockpit later.

Maybe I'll try the full curtain job on a 1/48 Intruder later.

24400725445_4e5c0458aa_z.jpgA-6A 15Jan by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Cheers, Stefan.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

An update without pictures this time...the model is still covered in masking tape.

The white and the LGG paint have been airbrushed on.

After I check if the LGG coat is good enough, I can paint the black part of the radome that is on the fuselage pieces, the intake lips and the Coroguard.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the encouragement, guys.

Here she is as of saturday evening.

25339336865_4321ddc3da_z.jpgIntruder 28 Feb by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

I went to the model show in Antwerp (Hoboken) yesterday and bought a magnifier with built in LED lights.

So, checked the pilot's helmets and found that the lightning bolt decals that I lost sight of as soon as I applied them are really there.

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi,

Here she is finished. :)/>

24740704744_3ee5e2be3d_z.jpgIntruder finished-1 by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

25371312325_5ce732e098_z.jpgIntruder finished-2 by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

24740704714_088a9b56a0_z.jpgIntruder finished-3 by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

25075710150_757e212db8_z.jpgIntruder finished-4 by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

26005741596_b0dc3d19a1_z.jpgIntruder close-up by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Cheers, Stefan.

Edited by Stefan buysse