New decals - 1/72 USMC A-6A Intruders in Vietnam

AOAdecals is going to venture into 1/72 for those stashes that hopefully still have a lot 1/72 Fujimi A-6As waiting for modern decals...

The previously released AOAdecals extensive 1/32 and 1/48 Marine A-6A Intruders in Vietnam sheet will be released in 1/72 as sheet 72001. It will have the same schemes as the 1/48 sheet (48001) and will have enough common markings for two aircraft (limited by RESCUE arrows used). Stencils are there too, its up to you if you want to deal with the blobs in 1/72. Thanks to Cartograf printing though, some of the larger ones are still legible even though they are tiny.

edit/update: price is $19. Decal have arrived now Should be available early/mid May.

Instructions are only on CD (full size this time) due to the number of pages - which includes specific squadron loadout charts, possible A-6 configurations, some Fujimi kit tweaks, etc.

7 options (5 aircraft) for VMA(AW)-225 Vikings at Da Nang Air Base, South Vietnam, from 1969-71

19 options (17 aircraft) for VMA(AW)-242 Batmen at Da Nang Air Base, South Vietnam, from 1966-70

19 options (13 aircraft) for VMA(AW)-533 Hawks at Chu Lai Air Base, South Vietnam, from 1967-69

19 options (10 aircraft) for VMA(AW)-533 Hawks at Royal Thai Air Base Nam Phong (aka The Rose Garden), Thailand, from 1972-73

Another new release will be announced shortly. edit/update: (OV-10A Broncos in 1/72 & 1/32)

www.AOAdecals.com

72001.jpg

Edited by Steve Belanger

Well hopefully the 1/72 crowd won't disappoint in purchasing!

Meant to mention that these are aimed for the Fujimi A-6A kits, but this is really only limited to mainly the full rudder decals. If/when Hobby Boss/Trumpeter release their A-6 these decals will still work other than probably the striped late war dark blue/medium blue VMA(AW-)533 rudder and the -225 full rudder decal. In those cases the rudder will have to be painted, and for the 225 scheme the Viking head is also provided separately so the painted rudder/head option is already available. So those two situations aren't hard to deal with for future kit releases.

The other is the 1969 -533 "can opener" hawk scheme. This one is provided in the Fujimi boxing but it is abysmal and doesn't come close to representing the actual marking - it looks more like a black geometric symbol rather than the stylized hawk. This one had to be reshaped a little from the Hobby Boss/Trumpeter sizing in order to better fit the Fujimi fuselage/wing area.

Of course now that these decals are made, HB/Trumpeter 1/72 kits will be released imminently....

By chance will you scale down your sheet "The Intruders' sandbox" also? Would love it if you did. Been waiting for a decent low viz Libyan and gulf war sheet for a long time in gentilmans scale since I had a student teacher in middle school that was a B/N for VA-55 during the Libyan raid.

By chance will you scale down your sheet "The Intruders' sandbox" also?

Possibly in the future. after this release and the accompanying Bronco releases, the Libya sheet in the other scales may be with the next round of releases.

• 4 weeks later...

These came quicker than I expected - they're in transit now from Cartograf and should be here later this week. However, I'm waiting for the final instruction pages to come in for the OV-10 release coming at the same time and want to release the latest batch of decals concurrently, so the sheets will be available for sale next week instead.

Similar to the earlier 1/48 and 1/32 USMC A-6A release, the 1/72 sheet instruction will be on a CD instead of being printed due to the number of pages involved (these will be on a full size CD, not a mini-CD like the other scales.)

Prices will be posted at that time and will be a little higher overall compared with previous releases. When you consider comparable sheet prices on the market you'll find the AOA sheets have been underpriced for what you get, and in many cases significantly so. Unfortunately I can't continue at the previous pricing model and will have to adjust slightly.

gmta Darren

My first thought was "look at all of those nose numbers for Skyhawks" Tail BuNos for Crusaders come to mind,,,and so do swapping around to different Intruders with other people's USN decal sheets.

I'm getting one or more sheets just so I can use those and to use the stencils on other builds I am doing.

order sent this morning and already got the shipping notice from USPS! Great service, mate!

Thanks for the order. It's in the mail now. Your order lucked out in timing that I was able to get it out now.

For everyone else... as noted on the website orders for the four new releases are going out next week. I updated the site last night enabling purchase but I'm waiting for an addendum instruction sheet to come in for the OV-10 sheets so I was holding sending all orders out til next week - plus I have personal issues into early next week that will prevent me from getting around to handling orders.

Thanks for the order. It's in the mail now. Your order lucked out in timing that I was able to get it out now.

For everyone else... as noted on the website orders for the four new releases are going out next week. I updated the site last night enabling purchase but I'm waiting for an addendum instruction sheet to come in for the OV-10 sheets so I was holding sending all orders out til next week - plus I have personal issues into early next week that will prevent me from getting around to handling orders.

I've probably seen every A6 you've done in the late 67 thru early 69 era. I'd love to see a series of F4b's out of Chu Lai (never paid much attention to them in DaNang). With Kevin at Impact closing his doors, you may be the only game in town! In Chu Lai one not only had Mag air groups (seems like MAG 10, 12, and 13 at one time or another), but you saw a lot of CAG based planes there. Some had holes in them and some just needed gas I guess. Still it was a daily thing. DaNang had OV1's, and a host of other airframes that are largely ignored. Chu Lai must had had a gazillion A4's, and decals are hard to come by.

gary