Early Spitfire Cockpit Colours

I'm in the process of converting the 1/72 Tamiya Mk.I Spitfire to an early production model using the Model Alliance conversion kit CS-50.

Regarding cockpit coulours, the Model Alliance instructions state:

"The Modeller should note that the cockpit interior of early Spitfire Mk.Is was finished in a bright 'Apple Green' colour close to FS34138 or Humbrol 131 Satin Mid Green. It is not known when this shade was superceded by the more familiar Grey/Green shade."

Has anyone any information or knowledge of other sources regarding early Spit cockpit colours?

John

I have read before that early (pre and early WWII) cockpit colors on all RAF aircaft (not just early spits) were painted in the apple green color you refer to and that sometime during 1940 the familiar grey green color we all know and love came into being. I have never seen any explanation as detailed as the one you refer to that actually refers to an actual federal standard number.

I would hope that someone out there would offer us a more detailed explanation of this mystery color and its more exact usage and makeup. :cheers:

Eric

Reposting this for those that are following along in Props for the sake of discussion.

Morgan/Shacklady provide some Air Ministry orders from 1937. All Aluminium parts were to be protected by ADM 324, followed by a coat of yellow chromate to DTD 260 followed by a finishing coat pigmented with aluminium to DTD 260. Cokpit interior to be finished in grey/green cellulose enamel to DTD 63.

So, we could just be discussing different interpretations of 'grey/green cellulose enamel' rather than a change in manufacturing.

So, the prototype flew May '36, this order was early '37 and the first production Spitfire came off the line, what May '38 ish ? So certainly the prototype could have been in a different finish. Given that it was a factory prototype, it may not even have been finished to whatever Air Ministry orders predate the one above.

However, as the production aircraft post date this order, one would think that all production aircraft followed these orders, but thats just an assumption.

Cheers,

Matt

I too have the Morgan & Shacklady book, and of course you're right about the Air Ministry orders. I had always assumed that from around 1937 onwards all RAF cockpits were finished in Grey/Green until I came across the Model Allinace instructions.

I just find it curious that they should state a definite change in colour and quote a specific FS number for the supposed earlier one. Though it seems probable that it really is a question of different interpretations, it is still possible that for some reason Air Ministry orders were not initially followed.

I've sent Model Alliance an email asking what their sources are. If they reply then I'll post the info here. If they don't, then I suppose that's the end to the debate, unless someone else can come up with another source.

Happy New Year,

John

I look forward to hearing back about your e-mail. I suppose to say anything more than has already been stated would be useless speculation; however, your thought about an air ministry order not being initially followed is an interesting one. One wonders if individual manufacturers were mixing colors in the early stages much in the same way "mixed grey" was being used in '41 before Ocean grey started appearing as an offical camouflage color.

Any way, let's just wait for a reply.

Eric S. Armstrong