Save "Christine" Project - non profit cooperative project

Hello fellow modelers! :beer4:

As most of us know, "Christine" (F-14D Tomcat, 159600, Felix 111, etc) , the longest serving Tomcat were saved from the destruction by lots of helping hands, and the action of OV-10 Bronco Association. She was unloaded from the C-5 Galaxy that take her home just short time ago. Please read more about this here I'm already in contact with Jim "Boomer" Bloomberg who's responsibility was to take 159600 back to Fort Worth.

Some of you may know, that we're running a small aviation art business, providing profile artworks for the aviation fans and winged aviators flying these awesome birds. When we heard the story of Christine, we decided to support saving this historical aircraft.

So here's the deal. I decided to start a cooperative project with the ARC community. I'm sure lot of you are interested to contribute with ideas, photos, whatever, and are keen to help to the guys spent lot of time, energy to reserve her for us, for our children! ARC Community will be credited on the print (of course only if this whole thing makes sense to you :lol: )

THIS IS A NON PROFIT PROJECT! As this project was started exclusively to support their efforts, Christine will not be available in our usual product range, in the usual sizes and layouts. It guarantees, that whoever purchase any print of Christine, the profit will support her, and the guys working restoring, and displaying her to the public. 100% OF THE PROFIT OF THE SALES WILL BE DONATED TO THIS PURPOSE!

I hope you'll find this action interesting, and you all see the importance of it!

Let's see where we start:

christine_001.jpg

I'll start posting here, and keep the ideas coming! Please feel free to track this topic to get informed about the updates! Ideas for layouts, visual elements on the posters, text, reference photos etc are welcome!

Greetings, Zoltan "neu" Pocza, Marton "marcika" Seliga, Gyula "Jupiter" Pozsgay

www.deploymentproductions.com

Edited by neu

Thanks Brian, can't wait them to show up!

I was working further on her. I finished the Christine nose art, and the plane specific markings:

christine_002.jpg

christine_002_christine.jpg

Currently I don't have the crew names, but I assume it will be readable in Brian's walkaround photos! Once I have that one, I'll go for making the weathering more realistic.

I've not decided about the ordnance here, but I think the drop tanks would be fine...what do you guys think?

Greetings, neu

Edited by neu

Neu,

Great project. I spent the afternoon with Christine. I understand that the crew names she carries right now are not the right ones. Otherwise I could provide those details for you. I took detail shots of the fin and other markings this afternoon if those add anything to what Brian is already providing let me know if you need them.

bill

Thanks for the response and help guys! :thumbsup:

Now here's the next idea...I see thin chances that it's doable, but who knows, maybe in team efforts we can come up with something!

I was wondering how it would be to include 159600's all important paintschemes, or at least from each squadron she was assigned to. Unfortunately I know only VF-101, she was running as AD 160 in '94 there, but I have not earlier references, especially not from when she was an A model, and was at VF-111 (as far as I know she was there).

An option is to display the first and the last paintschemes, but is we can come up with more...I'll be glad to make it!

Also here's what you guys could help as well:

• Would be nice to make a timeline, where she served and when
  • I'd need someone who would make a write up on her, and about the Tomcat history to be included on the prints, my english is sucks, and I'm not the man of big words
  • What about including US Flag, or Blad Eagle somewhere? (or both)

Keep the ideas coming the plane itself, in this paintscheme is almost done!

Greetings, neu :wave:

www.deploymentproductions.com

Edited by neu

Hi Neu ,

I have some info about the squadrons in which she flew "

1978 VF-84 AJ 210

1983/84 VF-14 AE-104

1986 VF-14 AC-104

1988 VF-142 AG-206

1990 NAD Norfolk Conversion to F-14D ( DR-5 )

1994-98 VF-2 NE-115

1999-01 VF-2 NE-110

2004 VF-101 AD-160

2005 VF-31 AJ-111 "Christine"

If someone has info about the missing years or corrections , please send us the info??

Neu , I hope this helps , but I have a request for you , you wrote that the 159600 also has flown with VF-111 , please can you give me the modex and date of when this Tom flew with the SunDowners ??

many Thanks in advance ! Henk "Omar"

sundowner

I've just heard this sundowner thing, I didn't find any confirmation yet. It's not even sure it's correct, I keep searching! Thanks for the list, I think it will be useful!

I've got the names from Boomer:

CDR Rick "Twig" LaBranche

LT Matt "Lloyd" Janczak

Which are obviously differs from the ones readable on Dave's photos. SO the question is, which names should we go for? Bommer states this was the last crew of her. On the photos showing unloading her from the Galaxy, clearly shows that the canopy railing was repainted, and new names were applied.

Any info on this? Which ones you guys would use?

Greetings, neu :(

email sent with a few more pictures.

On another note - I would love to see you correct the profiles for the Tomcat by having the tall Tacan antenna behind the cockpit (instead of the short one) and replacing the tiny one with the GPS dome. B/D never had the antenna arrangement that you show, and A's started getting the tall tacan in 1990, and the gps dome when they added lantirn pods after 1996. Just a thought on accuracy for you.

thanks, and keep up the great work!!

-brian

Dave,

Thanks, I thought about this, it was logical! Did you shot 159600 before? I mean at other squadrons?

Brian P

I can fix the Tacan easily, and I'll see what I can do for the GPS dome. Thanks for the info! I learn every day something new! ;)

Dave,

Thanks, I thought about this, it was logical! Did you shot 159600 before? I mean at other squadrons?

Brian P

I can fix the Tacan easily, and I'll see what I can do for the GPS dome. Thanks for the info! I learn every day something new! ;)

IS THE POPE CATHOLIC?

Sorry, my bad, yes I shot it with other squadrons.

159600VF-101.jpg

April 1978 Photo McIntosh

159600-4.jpg

159600VF101.jpg

159600vf-2.jpg

159600VF-31.jpg

Taken prior to the final deployment

Edited by Sig Saur & Son

Thanks for all the photos Dave, it seems the pope is catholic :D

Dave's first photo from '78 is not the VF-84 bird obviously, so maybe that one is not 159600, but I'd exclude this option if I keep in mind who posted it :) Or that's not from 78, or, the info that she was in VF-84 in '78 is not correct. I don't know what the truth is, but the date, the images, and the info about VF-84 is not matching together.

As I thought, even if there are lots of helping hands, it would be hard to depict all schemes, it's a bit over ambitious, especially with proper crew names which are PIA to find out. The last 4 schemes seem to be confirmed, and would be doable though.

Now I rather conctentrate in the latest scheme for now, and we'll see what else is coming in during the project!

We still have some questions:

- Is there anyone out there who would like to make some tribute write up?

- Should we use the names currently on her with the latest tail markings, or the names from early last year with less tail markings?

Greetings, neu :cheers:

Edited by neu

I'd say the markings prior to the last scheme with less awards on the tails.

Reason being, it was the squadron's last combat cruise in the F-14 and it would be more appropriate for ordnance to hang on, not to mention more historically accurate.

So here's where we are (I know it's not too much progress, but I'm really short on time). She has fuel tanks now, and as Brian proposed, I "backdated" the tail art to match the names Dave posted before. With this she looks like on the last combat cruise now

christine_003.jpg

..we need to add an empy BOL rail now.

Greetings, neu

Edited by neu

Here's a small preview of the logo I imagine on the print.

christine_004_logo.jpg

Personally I like it, but it's just an idea of mating two already nice looking artworks. Let me know your thoughts! Is it good, or cheesey....whatever!

Greetings, neu

Edited by neu