Hasegawa 1/48 AV-8B II+

Progress so far on a commission build of an in-flight AV-8B of VMA-513 from OIF in 2006/2007.

Cockpit is still waiting for the Eduard Zoom set before finishing it. Writing is so I didn't mix up fuselages with the VMA-231 Desert Storm build which is being done in parallel.

1.jpg

Underside showing closed up speedbrake and main gear well. Gap in front of chaff/flare disp needs filling yet.

2.jpg

Completed wing assembly with outrigger doors closed. After comparing to quite a few pics, I think Hasegawa actually got the wing kink correct - not going to open a debate on this, just the way I chose to model it.

3.jpg

Close up of closed nose gear and LIDS - stbd LIDS extension line needs rescribing as it is too big. Stbd intake completed, port just needs final clean up after last sanding.

4.jpg

Modified LITENING with seeker head out, and rotated forward and outward. Still need to correct the intake.

Mk.82 being converted to GBU-38 JDAM. Rescribed and fins thinned. Next step will be to mask tail assembly and do ablative coating, then add nose vane assembly and fuses.

5.jpg

Another angle of the stores.

6.jpg

Close up of closed outrigger doors.

7.jpg

Wow Craig, 2 at once, you are a very talented man!!! :woot.gif: Seriously, I am looking forward to watching you go on these, I have always liked the Harrier!!

Keep the pics coming,

Jack aka BUGFAN

Can you keep us in some good pics of how you're doing the GBU-38? I'm gonna want about a million of those for my Super Hornets, and my Bone.

Sure, what you can see above has had the following to date (based on one of the Mk.82s in the Hasegawa weapons set):

- Two bomb halves glued together

- Nose fuse cut off where it attaches to the body

- Tail fuse plug removed (the small stub at the rear of the fin assembly)

- Fins thinned to aerofoil shape (instead of the slabs from the box)

- A panel line scribed around bomb circumference at 7mm and another at 13mm

- Small oval panel scribed on the port side of the bomb just behind the line scribed at 13mm

- Mount holes filed (new ones drilled to fit the Harrier pylon)

- Screw heads added just behind each of the two scribed panel lines using a needle in a pin vise (same tool as used for rescribing). Note that these are actually raised hex head bolts on the real thing, but I didn't have a punch small enough to replicate and this was expedient.

Next step will be to mask off the tail assembly and stiple Mr Surface on the bomb body for the ablative coating. Fun will be figuring the best way to replicate the JDAM vane kit, but I have a few good ideas to try out.

This was a significant request by the buyer as VMA-513 was the first Harrier unit to use JDAM operationally. Original load out was to be a Laser Mavericka s these were also used in theatre, but this is more fun to do.

And for Raptor Supporter, check my avatar for the new unit nose badge (been in place since 2006).

Very cool! Nice job so far. I am about 80-90% complete with my "Flying Nightmares" Harrier , so I'm pretty eager to see how yours turns out. It's from 1997-98 and I used the OOB decals and has been quite challenging for me to find pictures of them during that time period.

I'm really digging the new nose badge. Are you making your own decals, or are they available somewhere for purchase?

Anyway, I will be following this thread closely and looking forward to the next update!

Good work, but my first trial is going to be with lead foil, as I really want something I can add after painting and which I can use punches on to get nice clean cut outs.

I am interested in seeing how you build these also. I was thinking of trying to scratch build my own too, and thought of using foil from a disposible pie tin for the fins. The lead foil will probably be easier to work with. Everything looks good so far.

Mark

Good work, but my first trial is going to be with lead foil, as I really want something I can add after painting and which I can use punches on to get nice clean cut outs.

I am interested in seeing how you build these also. I was thinking of trying to scratch build my own too, and thought of using foil from a disposible pie tin for the fins. The lead foil will probably be easier to work with. Everything looks good so far.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Progress report. Large percentage of the assembly complete, though still some seam work and tidy up to do. Note my method of fitting the lower part of the LERX first and avoiding the large steps underneath where it meets the wing.

8.jpg

Underside showing attached gun pods and Evergreen styrene square tube added for stand.

9.jpg

GBU-38 progress. Abalative coating is Mr Surfacer stippled on with a stiff brush (after masking the tail assembly). Turned nose fuse in the Dremel and tail plug is punched using Waldon set. Nothing simulates metail like metal, so have used brass shim for the nose vane assembly - still have the upper half to add.

10.jpg

One of the Achille's heels of the Hasegawa kit. You can see that the hole in the centre which accepts the front part of the fuselage is offset to the bottom (bottom of image). If you don't do anything about it, the nose is pulled up resulting in a banana shaped fuselage. I have added some card to fill in these unrequired cutouts on the corners of the assembly.

11.jpg

Fit of the gun pods. I have drilled out the front opening and modified the fit of the barrels with a card bulkhead (check images of the real aircraft).

12.jpg

Pilot requires modification as the survival vest moulded on Hasegawa's current pilots is incorrect for that used by the USMC/USN. Tamiya tape and Milliput to the rescue. Still some work to do yet, and the copper wire is to allow the pose to be modified so pilot will have hands on stick and throttle. Left arm already repositioned, but needs tidy up.

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

Hi Craig

mate, this is looking good! You make it look so easy!

I'll be marking this as reference for when I get around to finishing mine!

BTW, when will the lo-viz P3 markings be released?

Cheers

Mike A in Hamilton

• 2 weeks later...

Update time. Quite a bit of progress, but no actual build pics as yet. Have been spending quite a bit of time doing artwork and printing decals.

First up, the MFDs for the cockpit. Left is a moving map display atken from a cockpit shot of the actual aircraft I'm building. Right is FLIR imagery taken from a pic found online.

displays.jpg

Next, stencil data for the LITENING. This has now all been applied to the pod and looks pretty authentic, even in 1/48.

litening.jpg

Chaff flare loadouts for the 6 dispensers on the aircraft. Arrows indicate front of aircraft.

chaff-flare.jpg

Aircraft specific markings. Stencils are being sourced from the kit and a TwoBobs sheet.

513.jpg

Close up of the new unit markings for the nose.

owls.jpg

Headed away for the Easter weekend, so hope to have some progress shots next week.

Hey Craig, that GBU-38 looks fantastic! I'm wondering if you could describe how you measured and cut the brass for the strakes. Did you have a pattern that you laid on flat brass sheet? Or did you just eyeball it? Thanks. I was going to try making my GBU the same way, but I couldn't find a good enough reference for the cutouts on the metal.

Hey Craig, that GBU-38 looks fantastic! I'm wondering if you could describe how you measured and cut the brass for the strakes. Did you have a pattern that you laid on flat brass sheet? Or did you just eyeball it? Thanks. I was going to try making my GBU the same way, but I couldn't find a good enough reference for the cutouts on the metal.

Yes. Pattern was some Tamiya tape wrapped around a second assembled bomb (didn't want to damage the ablative coating on the first). The distance from the fuse to the front and rear of the plate was marked and this was cut with a sharp blade. This tape was then carefully removed and laid on the brass sheet. The cut outs were then measured and marked, and punched with a Waldron set. Holes were filed and cleaned up and then the sheet was bent to the bomb nose. Excess was cut off and the lower part was glued on. Then the upper part, then the tape retaining bands and finally the two vanes added from card measured off the bomb.