Revell 1/144 737-800 Virgin Blue

Hi Guys,

First time poster in this forum. Hope you get some enjoyment out it and I hope to get some guidance.

This is what my finished project should look like:

vof.jpg

The kit I am using is the Revell 737-800 1/144 kit with KLM markings. To add some extra spice and I using the following after market goodies:

Extratech Photo etch

InFormation resin engines and winglets

Brasil Decals Virgin Blue decals (thanks to LinerLover)

Liveries unlimited 737 stencil data decals

The InFormation engines have the correct shape cowling as the kit engine is for the older classic 737's (your 300-600 types).

The winglets are also a better shape than what is included in the kit.

This project was started 3 months ago. Although it has started to pick up in pace.

First the fuselage passenger windows were filled in with CA glue as I will be using decals for these. Lead weight was added to the nose area and once dry, the fuselage halves were brought together.

The clear windshield and top of the fuselage section was also added. Then the wings and winglets.

Work started on the resin engines, removing flash and trying to fix the engine mounts. As can be sen in the pic, the engine face slightly upwards.

737inform01.jpg

Once cleaned up they were hit with some primer to iron out the remaining holes etc.

Work then went into the fuselage. Putty was used to fill in seems and CA glue used to remove the panel lines (which can't really be seen in this scale), although I left the panel lines on the wing and tail area.

After about 5 goes at the primer, snading, re-priming etc the white was applied to the tail area and winglets. At this time the engines were painted as well.

DSC06382.jpg

next step is to attach the engines, fill the holes and seams in that area and then shoot the grey for the wings.

Edited by Tony P

Tony,

Which boxing did you start with, are the winglets from the kit? Did you make any changes to the shape of the them to make them look right?

Also how did you fill the windows, outside - in or inside - out?

Looks nice so far

Edited by Aussie747

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your comments. The kit is the KLM boxing and I used InFormation winglets. Just had to sand off the flash and they were ready to be installed. The kit winglets as you kow are like paddles!

To fill the windows, I put masking tape on the outside and then filled the inside with CA glue. Tried to get most of the air bubbles out, but after priming a few air holes had to be filled.

Here are some pics of the winglets

winglet03.jpg

winglet02.jpg

winglet01.jpg

I do plan to do a KLM in the future FlyingD. As I am in Australia and I see the things everyday, I always wanted to do one. I don't think I have seen a completed Virgin Blue model anywhere and the decals have been around for years (I think I'm learning why!)

MM, I have a newer set of decals released a few years after the original set that does anyway with the pixelated lady. It also has a white decal as an underlay.

Here is a scan of the vixens:

vbvix.jpg

MM, I have a newer set of decals released a few years after the original set that does anyway with the pixelated lady. It also has a white decal as an underlay.

Here is a scan of the vixens:

vbvix.jpg

Excellent!

Where can I get a set of those decals?

time to replace my tired old set :)

:cheers:

MikeJ

HI Mike,

They were sold out about 12 months ago last time I looked. I ordered a new set of Brasil decals a long time ago that had Pacific Blue and the VB 50th aircraft. It has been so long I am unsure if it has the regular VB livery. Still waiting....

Also SkyModels (Steve Evans) has released a 50th VB aircraft. That sheet is due to arrive to me this afternoon, so I will let you know what the vixen is like on that sheet.

Just remembered. Steve will be releasing the standard scheme for the -700 model. I'll inform you on what the vixens are like.

Regard

Tony

Cheers mate. I can discuss purloining a decal sheet from Roy Lee of Southern Sky Models!

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

Sorry for the late response. Was invited to the F1 GP at the last moment and going back out there today.

The vixen is halfway between the old pixelated brasil job and the newer brasil job. So yes, useable but on the blue plane she has red pants so not usable for other VB aircraft.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry for the late response. Was invited to the F1 GP at the last moment and going back out there today.

The vixen is halfway between the old pixelated brasil job and the newer brasil job. So yes, useable but on the blue plane she has red pants so not usable for other VB aircraft.

That is a blow :rofl:

I was hoping to get some better images of the vixens than the pixelated shockers I have.

Is there no hope? :P

:cheers:

MikeJ

I see that Roy has the red scheme for the 737-700. Hope is at hand for you Mike!

Little bit of progress. The engines are now on. Will need to mask and fill the gaps. This will take a while!

Dsc06696x2.jpg

Dsc06695x2.jpg

The major painting has now been completed. I used Light Gull Grey for the wings and engine mounts. The Red was Guards red by Testors. To mask off the white tail I used a mask made from a photocopy of the blue area decals. I masked with a soft edge so I hope that the edge does not show through the blue decals. Next up will be the metal areas of the leading edge, fin and engine cowls.

Here are some pics:

Masked up, ready for the red:

Dsc06712.jpg

The final result. Haven't checked if I have guessed right with my tail mask. Will wait for it to dry before using a template. Fingers crossed!

Dsc06713.jpg

Dsc06714.jpg

Dsc06716.jpg

• 1 month later...