Harder & Steenbeck Infinity

Hello

During the Flander´s Modelling Festival in Antwerp last Saturday, I purchased the new Harder & Steenbeck Infinity Solo for 169,--€. Additionally, I got a FPC regulator for fine pressure control for an additional 29,--€.

My expectations about the performance of this airbrush were rather high after my excellent experiences with their Evolution sets. Finally, yesterday evening I had a minute time to make my first experiences with this nice looking airbrush.

The set comes with the 0,15mm needle/ nozzle, which seems to be too fine for our more or less grainy modelling paints at first glance. I made trials with the following paints, which were all diluted with the original Xtracrylix thinner in an approximate 50/50 ratio: Xtracrylix, MM Acrylics, Agama Acryl, Gunze Sangyo, Polly Scale Acrylics and JPS (old formula). I sprayed some random patterns on my crappy 1:48 OEZ MIG-21, which I gave the name “Schmiervogel†(= Smearbird). This is my testbed for practicing with paints and airbrush. Actually, it might now being in 1:45 after those layers of built up paint … .

Well guys, my first run was with the Xtracrylix (FS36118) after I adjusted my compressor to a pressure of 1bar. And I almost fell of my chair after I pushed back the trigger and the first stream of paint came off the Infinity. The paint went on so smoothly and in a few second I sprayed my first pattern without any flaw or interruption. There was really neither any built up of paint on the needle tip, nor any clogging on the nozzle, which often is the case with acrylic paints. I was totally impressed and quickly convinced by the product. If 1:350 is your scale for aircraft, here is the airbrush for your free hand camouflage schemes! Now I wanted to try other paint brands as well.

Next was MM Acrylics (FS34102). I used Xtracrylic thinner as well. Now I encountered the first problems, the 0,15mm needle/ nozzle set possibly is to fine for those paints. The paint flow stopped after 3 or 4 seconds. Since it was possible to spray a satisfying pattern with this combination, the work never was as relaxing as with the Xtracrylix. This paint-thinner combination normally works well with my H & S Evolution with the 0,2mm and 0,4mm set. I suppose the pigments of the MM Acrylics are more on the heavier side causing the problems. Surprisingly, the results with Polly Scale Acrylics (FS34079) were much better. Normally, these paints come from the same factory as the MM Acrylics, aren´t they?

Next came my trials with Agama Acrylics and Gunze and the results were almost as stunning as with the Xtracrylix. Here again, no clogging effects! But, the biggest surprise to me came next. I was a bit euphorized by the results so far and I thought why not trying to spray the old-formula JPS paints with the Infinity. You must know, that the old JPS paints have a somewhat ill-fated reputation in Germany, because these are famous for tending to dry already inside the airbrush. With mixed feelings, I used the FS34102 thinned with 25% Xtracrylix thinner and 25% Agama retarder. The result was in a word stunning! I could spray extremely fine lines and really encountered no clogging or other mess. Man, I am glad that I didn´t throw away all my old JPS colours, those are gorgeous in combination wit the Infinity.

Was it Kelly Johnson who said “what´s looking good, flies goodâ€? Here I must say, “what´s looking good, sprays goodâ€. The H&S Infinity is an excellent airbrush by any means. With the use of modern acrylic colors, the 0,15mm needle/ nozzle set is not too fine. I never tried any other airbrush, which has fully convinced me in such a short time. And I had a lot airbrushes under my fingers until now (Badger 100/200, Iwata HP-C + Revolution, Aztec, Devilbis Sprite Major, Thayer & Chandler Vega1000, Sotar 20/20, Gabbert Triplex …). With your next airbrush purchase you should consider the H&S Infinity in your plans. You cannot go wrong with this one!

Greetings

Christian

BTW:

I tried to upload 2 pics of each 64KB, but this failed. Trying again later!

Edited by falcon91352
thanks for the information. You mention your H&S Evolution - are the needles for the Infinity interchangable with the Evolution? and how does the Infinity compare with the Evolution?

I will do more trials on the weekend and will let you know.

Hopefully the photo uplode works with my JPEG´s then too.

Cheers

Christian

thanks for the information. You mention your H&S Evolution - are the needles for the Infinity interchangable with the Evolution? and how does the Infinity compare with the Evolution?

According to their website's parts' numbers' listings, the Infinity and Evolution use the same tips and needles.

I will do more trials on the weekend and will let you know.

Hopefully the photo uplode works with my JPEG´s then too.

Cheers

Christian

You can no longer upload a pic directly to this site (due to a hacker last year). Instead, you need to link to a pic hosted elsewhere, like photobucket.com. you can just cop the "IMG" line under the pic on photobucket and paste it into your post.

Interesting, thanks for the review.

I will have to see if I get a bonus this year. That brush is over 300 cdn with shipping, a hose and an extra .020 nozzle. yeesh.

Even if I don't get the hose, the bush will still be over 300.00.

Ah well. Time to pinch some pennies.

Well on the strength of that I just laid down some sterling on the new Harder & Steenbeck Infinity Two in One. Along with a braided hose. Total splurge $257 US. Which equates to about £130. Just hope I don't get stung with import duty now.

Heres a link to the brush for those who are interested. Money Leeching pictures. Don't look if you want to stay married.

So what exactly is the difference between this model and the Evolution versions? Just the nozzle and tip?

Just read the link that Cop provided.

That link just goes to the official site. What I (and I suspect other Evolution owners) want to know is not what it looks like, although that is nice too, but how it compares with the Evolution in actual use. I certainly am not prepared to buy one just because it has some presets or a cool looking tip that lets you follow a ruler. Before I would consider spending an additonal $100-200 for an Inifinity, I want to know why it is better then an Evolution, especially since the interior parts, which actually determine its ability to spray paint, are apparently the same as the Evolution's.

The thing is Chuck, if it is better than the evolution (which I'm guessing it most likely is) then now would be the time to sell up and upgrade. I had a look and I reckon I could flog my 6month old Evolution for £80 and spend only £40 (which isn't an unreasonable sum of money) on something new and exciting and shiney! :cheers:

Plus, that cool looking tip doubles as an inbuilt airbrush stand :lol:

On a serious note though, the extra ability to adjust level resistance will certainly be handy for me as it offers that little extra bit of control.

The thing is Chuck, if it is better than the evolution (which I'm guessing it most likely is) then now would be the time to sell up and upgrade. I had a look and I reckon I could flog my 6month old Evolution for £80 and spend only £40 (which isn't an unreasonable sum of money) on something new and exciting and shiney! :lol:

Plus, that cool looking tip doubles as an inbuilt airbrush stand :P

On a serious note though, the extra ability to adjust level resistance will certainly be handy for me as it offers that little extra bit of control.

I have the H & S Evolution and love it. Since I got it, all my others are sitting around collecting dust. I really didn't need to discover this thread. This new brush looks like it is the ultimate airbrush and ............finally, an airbrush for someone who truly wants to spray a fine line :cheers:

infinity_02_details_3.gif

I could be wrong here.... but can the Evolution spray a line that thin and solid without puddles or runs?

Sure the little ruler guide might come in handy a few times,but as thin as that line is....hmmmm I see myself freehanding flame jobs,pinstripes and the like.Just imagine painting all the stripes on your ordnance WITHOUT masking.

Just my opinion here...

Edited by Scot M

Perhaps i should clarify. I have been using the H&S Evolution for a little over a year. I will use it every time instead my 'old' favorite, an Iwata HP-C. I have .15mm, .2mm, and .4mm tip/needle combinations for my Evolution and I really like the brush.

The web site for the Infinity makes the Infinity look like a better brush, but I wonder about that if the internal parts are the same as those used in the Evolution.

I must admit I have not yet discovered a paint/thinner/pressure relationship that will let me spray as fine a line as that shown with the Infinity, but I also wonder if that wasn't done with artist inks, not model paints.

The Infinity definitely looks like high tech coolness, but before I think about any possible upgrade, I want to know if it actually produces superior results to an Evolution using model paints, and even more specifically, acrylic model paints.

Just imagine painting all the stripes on your ordnance WITHOUT masking.

Just my opinion here...

I think I'd still need the masking since the rock-steady hands left the house about 10-15 years ago.

Jack

I really shouldn't have read this thread :)

I think it's basically the same as the Evo but MUCH cooler looking (2 weeks ago I didn't think that was possible) and it has extra knobs and tiddly things :D

The only thing that does put me off, going by what Obeeliks website says, is that you need a wrench to access the inner portions. Can someone confirm this? (ermd??)

I think I'd still need the masking since the rock-steady hands left the house about 10-15 years ago.

Jack

ditto. And furthermore, that fancy looking tip is all well and good as long as you are applying a fine line to a flat surface. Other than a flying wing, how many nice flat surfaces do you run into when modelling anything, let alone an airplane? :monkeydance:

I'm sure that this is a very nice airbrush, but the tip is not necessarily a selling point to me.

Eric Armstrong