I'm just finishing up the drawing for my next profile. It's going to be an F-86A of the 92nd FIS based at RAF Shepard's Grove. Modifictations to make F-86E, F and Sabre 2, 4, will follow. After checking many drawings and many photos, I've decided that none of them are completely accurate and all of them seem to have a slightly short nose. It makes me wonder about the accuracy of F-86 kits.

F-86A_5-13-07.jpg

F-86A_detail-1.jpg

F-86A_detail-2.jpg

3 drawings finished and it's time to start painting :) .

Late F-86A:

F-86A_300.jpg

Sabre Mk. 4 with early wing, type A-4 gunsight, new windscreen, differences in panel lines and stenciling:

Sabre-Mark-4.jpg

Sabre Mk. 4 with "hard" 6-3 wing:

Sabre-Mark-4_6_3.jpg

Don,

You're going to have a lot of fun wth this. The sky is the limit (literally) on the reflections you can paint in this.

Oilcan the heck out of this.

Stephen

Gotta agree Stephen, I think these are going to occupy my attention for quite a while. If this doesnt teach me how to paint natural metal, it ain't gonna happen :) .

• 2 weeks later...

Done fiddling with the drawings; they're not perfect, but they'll do. The F-86A has been towed to the paint shop and the first layers of paint added. 92nd Fighter Interceptor Squadron, 81st FIG "Bushmasters", 1952, RAF Shepard's Grove.

F-86A_1stcolors.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Now, why can't the USAF continue using great color schemes like this?

Stephen

I know the practical considerations like keeping the enemy from getting a visual first, etc. , but a color scheme like this really accentuates the beauty of the aircraft, doesn't it? The person that came up with this design had to have been an artist.

Stephen, I took your comment about going to town on sheet metal oilcanning to heart and am determined to portray it somehow, at least in some areas. Every one of these things turns out to be a learning process.

PS The pilot's going to be looking at the viewer :thumbsup:

Edited by felixdk
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A motherboard failure really messed up the timetable on this one, so this is going to be it for now. I'll revisit it later when I add a background and text and decide if it needs anything else.

F-86A.jpg

Thanks neu, as always your comments are much appreciated.

Clave, I think I'm done with profiles for now, but the drawings will always be there for when I get the itch again.

Pozsgay, coming from someone that paints as well as you do, that means a lot.

I'm working out some ideas for the final print. This one has promise, but I need to tidy up the unit insignias in Corel Draw. Nice thing about digital is that you can swap things around until you're satisfied.

F-86A-Print_clouds_insig.jpg