Raptor Drag... A few images

Aloha gents!

Just back from a great air-refueling weekend and want to share a few shots I hope you all enjoy… I sure enjoyed taking them. This was very much a learning experience for my student and yours truly. For my new boomer it was he first time seeing the Raptor… For me, the first time I shot in full manual!!! The lighting proved to be quite a challenge so I hope some of the images are at least to an acceptable standard (fingers crossed). Anyway enough of my chatter, here are the images…

A hui hou :thumbsup:

The flight-deck of our old girl… This was taken after our boom checks & 1st AR. It was an early morning (early enough to upset some residents apparently)…

135morn.jpg

Sun finally breaks the horizon…

EarlyAR.jpg

Off to the wing… Sunlight & hopefully better pictures!

Sunrise.jpg

Somewhat static but still a beautiful bird…

LeftOb.jpg

Closing in…

Clearedin.jpg

Getting kinda close… Don’t scratch it!

Almostthere.jpg

Back out to observation… For some reason this is my favorite shot.

Fav.jpg

Post AR and high over Yosemite…

Yosemite.jpg

Off to the lead tanker (Gucci boys of course, that's a KC-10 in tanker speak :cheers: )…

Bankaway.jpg

Thanks again for letting me post and any photographic pointers always welcome!!!

Mahalo!!!

Stunning shots, Mark! I love them. Are you a -135 boomer? It looks like there are 4 sets of engine instruments in that first shot, but where did all those fancy digital instruments come from? Back when I flew them, we had "real" gages :)

Edited by Moose135
Stunning shots, Mark! I love them. Are you a -135 boomer? It looks like there are 4 sets of engine instruments in that first shot, but where did all those fancy digital instruments come from? Back when I flew them, we had "real" gages :)

Yes sir, a 135 Boomer... When I first started it was all round dial as well, even the fuel panel (man I hated those!!!). Thankfully I missed the "When man thought he could burn water" phase and have always been a big engine "R Model" guy :) I must admit longing to see a MITO take off again though!!! Anyhow, we went to a partial glass config about 5 or 6 years ago, what you see is the latest incarnation: a KC-135R Blk 40.2 "Pacer CRAG" bird. That pretty much got us "certified" to fly RVSM, RNP10 (CPDLC, Data Link, SATCOM, HF, GPS, etc.)… So now were legal to fly the tracks (and more importantly altitudes) all the airliners use… We also lost the Nav so most Booms ...UNOFFICIALLY… maintain a better understanding of some of those systems to back up the pilots :)

Again thanks for all the kind words guys, always appreciate the comps!!! Keeps me motivated as I try to learn the ropes of aviation photography!!!

Mahalo :)

Mark

Edited by Buck
Wow....those are aewsome shots! I dunno......the Raptor looks pretty cool with the drop tanks......even if it is only a ferry config.........still looks cool.

You know I was thinking the same thing... The tanks don't look bad at all. I remember seeing them being tested at Edwards a few years back and didn't care for them but now they sure seem to work :)

Big Mahalo again guys!!! I'll post a few more soon... Wife's home! :)

Thanks should go to the 2 Raptor drivers as well, they were more than happy to pose for the shots during the drag & and were extremely stable receivers... Even with the sun right in their eyes! :)

Clearedin.jpg

I like that shot the best...

Hey Buck, would it be ok if I use that as a new avatar please? pretty please??? with a lump of sugar?????

:) :)

Edited by raptor22
Aloha gents!

Just back from a great air-refueling weekend and want to share a few shots I hope you all enjoy… I sure enjoyed taking them. This was very much a learning experience for my student and yours truly. For my new boomer it was he first time seeing the Raptor… For me, the first time I shot in full manual!!! The lighting proved to be quite a challenge so I hope some of the images are at least to an acceptable standard (fingers crossed). Anyway enough of my chatter, here are the images…

A hui hou :)

The flight-deck of our old girl… This was taken after our boom checks & 1st AR. It was an early morning (early enough to upset some residents apparently)…

135morn.jpg

Sun finally breaks the horizon…

EarlyAR.jpg

Off to the wing… Sunlight & hopefully better pictures!

Sunrise.jpg

Somewhat static but still a beautiful bird…

LeftOb.jpg

Closing in…

Clearedin.jpg

Getting kinda close… Don’t scratch it!

Almostthere.jpg

Back out to observation… For some reason this is my favorite shot.

Fav.jpg

Post AR and high over Yosemite…

Yosemite.jpg

Off to the lead tanker (Gucci boys of course, that's a KC-10 in tanker speak :) )…

Bankaway.jpg

Thanks again for letting me post and any photographic pointers always welcome!!!

Mahalo!!!

And that would have been my squadron(Gucci KC-10) Doing a little force extension action on the cornet .

Great shots!

Scott

And that would have been my squadron(Gucci KC-10) Doing a little force extension action on the cornet .

Great shots!

Scott

LOL, what a small world :)... Did you fly outta Hickam as well? Next time you're intown drop me a pm, will show you to a couple of decent hobby shops here in Honolulu.

Ahui hou! :)

I like that shot the best...

Hey Buck, would it be ok if I use that as a new avatar please? pretty please??? with a lump of sugar?????

:) :)

No problem feel free to; in fact I'm flattered... Thanks for the comp :)

AEWSOME PICS MAN!! Do you have more and is that the highest res available??

Thankyou!!

Will

I had to dumb them down a bit, actually the res is much higher & shot in both JPG & RAW format. I'm working on posting some others (individually) in a larger format.

Thanks again :)

Well, I know our resident F-22 driver may not agree about the drop tanks looking cool....but yeah, they seem to work. Maybe I am just to used to aircraft with stuff hanging from them........... :)

Yeah, Waco gets a bit wacko :) about droptanks on Raptors doesn't he ? :)

Gregg

Wow Mark, these are stunning shots ! :)

THANK YOU so much for sharing them with us..... !

Hope we will see in the future as well a Raptor in Germany too :beer4:

Cheers from a cold and rainy Germany,

Mick

Oh, Man!....... incredible shots!!! Any way I can beg, borrow or steal a higher-rez of sunrise.jpg for my wallpaper? THAT is one CLASSIC Raptor shot! Congrats!

Edited by Almansur