You're not gonna believe this!

Hey guys,

I just wanted to toss this out there. I was over on FSM this morning and one of the guys mentioned he saw one of these on ebay today. After a little investigation, Trigger and I discovered that Attic Aircraft Models (the guys who brought us the 48th F-16XL conversion) has come out with a conversion kit for the Hasegawa 1:48th SH-3H! WE HAVE AN HH-3E AVAILABLE PEOPLE!!!!!

http://atticaircraft.com/greengiant.shtml

Sure, its kinda pricy, but heck, its the only game in town!

Gotta order me one when the next paycheck comes in!

Jon :blink:

To quote Lt.Col Kilgore from Apocalypse Now "Outstanding Red Team Outstanding I'll get ya a case-o-beer for that one, now I want some twenty mike mike vulcan right across that tree line, ripple the S#@T outa them".....

Those guys even have a 1/48th conversion for the X-29?!?!? Excuse me while I go pass out........ :blink:

To quote Lt.Col Kilgore from Apocalypse Now "Outstanding Red Team Outstanding I'll get ya a case-o-beer for that one, now I want some twenty mike mike vulcan right across that tree line, ripple the S#@T outa them".....

Those guys even have a 1/48th conversion for the X-29?!?!? Excuse me while I go pass out........ :)

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Attic is not known for high-quality pattern work or casting. Like you, I thought the X-29 would be a great project. Then, the kit arrived. I am VERY glad I did not spend the money on the F-5 base kit that the conversion requires, as the quality of the resin is VERY substandard. Just to get the main parts off the pour stubs is going to require full-scale power tools; there's almost as much resin that needs to go away as there is in the parts. Small detail parts, such as they are, are completely useless being warped or full of bubbles. The decals are completely worthless, being very fuzzy and indistinct. Decals were obviously printed on an inkjet, which in and of itself isn't bad but the quality of these is nonexistant. The amount of effort required to get an acceptable, not necessarily good, result, is out of proportion with the price IMO. If you've just GOTTA have a 1/48 X-29, be warned. If you just want an X-29 in the collection, go with the Hasegawa 1/72 kit.

Hey guys,

I just wanted to toss this out there. I was over on FSM this morning and one of the guys mentioned he saw one of these on ebay today. After a little investigation, Trigger and I discovered that Attic Aircraft Models (the guys who brought us the 48th F-16XL conversion) has come out with a conversion kit for the Hasegawa 1:48th SH-3H! WE HAVE AN HH-3E AVAILABLE PEOPLE!!!!!

http://atticaircraft.com/greengiant.shtml

Sure, its kinda pricy, but heck, its the only game in town!

Gotta order me one when the next paycheck comes in!

Jon :)

Wasn't there a Revell kit of the Jolly Green in 1/48? One with a howitzer in the kit?

Sorry I am doing this from memory.

regards,

joe.

Wasn't there a Revell kit of the Jolly Green in 1/48? One with a howitzer in the kit?

Sorry I am doing this from memory.

regards,

joe.

Hi,

IIRC, Revell did a HH-3C Jolly Green Giant in 1/72. In 1/48 Revell did the HH-53 Super Jolly Green Giant, and that's the kit that can with a 105mm howitzer and a jeep.

Ben

Revell, Aurora, Lindberg, and Starfix all did the CH-3E in 72nd. What are the external differences between the SH-3 and HH-3, besides the location of the rear landing gear? I am going to convert the 3E to a US Coast Guard 3F in 72nd using the Hawkeye Models resin, but I would be interested in doing the same to my 48 SH-3. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at some scratch-building.

Edited by Tblood988
Revell, Aurora, Lindberg, and Starfix all did the CH-3E in 72nd. What are the external differences between the SH-3 and HH-3, besides the location of the rear landing gear? I am going to convert the 3E to a US Coast Guard 3F in 72nd using the Hawkeye Models resin, but I would be interested in doing the same to my 48 SH-3. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at some scratch-building.

The fuselages of the SH-3 and HH-3 are very different as are the sponsons for the landing gear and the tail boom.

SH-3H

HS-9_sea_king_1989_72dpi.jpg

dvic322.jpg

HH-3F

Italian%20air%20force%20HH-3F.jpg

Sikorsky%20HH-3F%20007.jpg

OhAPelican.jpg

Cobrahistorian,

I got that E-mail too, and I don't know a whole bunch about helicopters. The fuselage looks almost complete, what will the SH-3 kit donate in this conversion?

Chappie

From what it looks like, the SH-3 kit will donate everything but the fuselage, sponsons, rear ramp and a few detail parts. Rotors and interior are all from the SH-3H kit, so we know there's quality there. I've seen the F-16XL kit from them, and I agree with Joe H, there definitely is a LOT of work to be done to get the excess resin off of them.

Still, right now, this is the ONLY game in town for a beast that a number of us have been wanting for a while.

Jon

I just read through the thread again, and I get it now. You pretty much buy the fuselage and the sponsons for the landing gear/floatation devices, and the rest of the parts come from the SH-3 kit.

Anybody gonna do a radome and some decals for the USCG version?

I read in an article a while ago, that an old 500 pound bomb (slightly modified) was use to creat a radome on a 1/72 version. I think I might have some of those in the parts box. I'll have to check the viability of this option.

Edited by Tblood988

I don't know whether to yell or cry. I'm elated to hear about any kind of C/H-3E kit in any scale let alone 1/48 being produced. I think everyone knows my stand on that one. But hearing about the reputation for this companies quality has me hesitating to even think about spending $100++++ for the conversion.

I'll tell ya this though....at least it means SOMEBODY is getting ther act together and listening to modelers on the forums....at least I hope so. I'm taking it s a positive sign.

Oh, BTW....the scratch building an HH-3E out of an SH-3. While the cockpit/nose area, main rotor and engine/transmission sail/housing are te same, the ***-end is completely different along with both sides of the fuselage from the pilot's windows back. The gear sponsons are also different as is the tail. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I am saying that it would be a tough row to hoe.

Salbando.

Oh yeah, worked a great mission yesterday...F-16C Agresser mid-air with a Langley F-15C. The Viper driver brought her back home with the one wing off light illuminated. The Ego-driver tested the seat and walked up into the Pavehawk. Time from incident notification to the guy being dropped of at Eielson was 2 hours, including one air-refueling from the HC-130 en route. One save.

Sal, You are right. The tail boom may be doable, but the rest of the aft conversion would cost me about $1000 in trial and error. I don't got $1000 for that. Maybe I'll try this conversion after I try it in 72. I have 2 Revell and 2 Starfix kits, with two Hawkeye conversions and decal sets on the way.

Oh yeah, if anyone has been looking for it in 72, I can post some links if they are still good. I have been able to get my hands on six kits lately. I sent two to Ray(Aussie747), and I'm hoping that I can perform this conversion without screwing it up. I have family that have have worked the hoist on SAR missions out of Sitka and E. City. I am currently attempting the Jayhawk conversion (my first conversion attempt ever). I have to keep setting it aside so I don't screw it up too bad. Who's gonna pony up and buy the first one?

Edited by Tblood988

Fred Garvin?! Is he still a male prostitute?! :coolio:

All the negative waves about Attic Aircraft kinda bugs me. I have not bought one of their kits yet, but I intend to buy at least the F-16XL kits. Why? Because I want the two F-16XLs in my 1/48th collection quite badly. Isn't that what it comes down too? I'm not busting anybody's nads specifically, but even if the XL or HH-3 conversion are on the sub-standard side, isn't it better than nothing if it is a subject that you've wanted to do for a long time?

Makes sense?

Cheers fellas,

Chappie

Chappie,

Your actually right on the money. I was more concerned with the price that I saw the one on E-bay going for, but then I started to think about it....I bought several of the Lindberg/Revell/Aurora/Star POS C/H-3 kits. WHy, because they were (and still are) the only thing going. About 5 minutes after making my previous post I started thinking about my (and other's) personal crusade to get SOMEBODY to make a large scale C/HH-3E/F. Well now we have one.

I'm getting two this weekend...time to walk the walk.....this outfit needs to be supported just like several others that put out products for our little niche in the modeling world.......nuff said.

Oh and thanks ATTIC for producing a product tht has been WAAAAAAY overlooked and overdue.

:whistle:

Hmmmm....a leopard scheme 1/48 scale CH-3E.......sounds hot doesn't it? Might even park it next to a leopard UH-1N and a JAWS A-10A.

Salbando

Oh yeah, if anyone has been looking for it in 72, I can post some links if they are still good. I have been able to get my hands on six kits lately. I sent two to Ray(Aussie747), and I'm hoping that I can perform this conversion without screwing it up. I have family that have have worked the hoist on SAR missions out of Sitka and E. City. I am currently attempting the Jayhawk conversion (my first conversion attempt ever). I have to keep setting it aside so I don't screw it up too bad. Who's gonna pony up and buy the first one?

I did the Hawkeye conversion a couple years back, other then the dacals the conversion is pretty straight forward and easy to do with plastic card, no need for the resin sponson end plates or the radome which can be done using 500 lb'er from the spares..live and learn...

1/48 decals for a USCG or even an Italian SAR HH-3, like the man said...the only game in town