Fw 190F-8, "Black 10" 2./SG 4, Turin, Italy May 1944

OK, I'll try to finish one this time around... :coolio:

I'll be doing a 190 in tropical colors, pretty rare since most stayed in Northern Europe and sported mostly schemes more suited to the greenery of the area.

EC92cover.gif

This will be like the 3rd one down, 80 mottled over 79, but I'll be doing "Black 10" from 2nd staffel.

Edited by The Mikester

Moving right along...

No interior shots, nothing fancy just a True Details resin cockpit.

Fit is what you expect from Hasegawa, no filler required. The only mod was removing the ejector chutes for the outboard cannons on the botton of the wing. This aircraft was not fitted with wing mounted bomb racks (R1).

Paint is Aeromaster acrylic.

DSCN9993.jpg

DSCN9991.jpg

I was surprised you're building Hase's kit. Thought you preferred RoG's.

Well, it's kind of a toss up. The RoG has price going for it and I prefer the surface detail. The ETC rack on the RoG is awful though and since this is going to be an F-8 I decided on the Hasegawa (I've got about 10 in the closet besides).

I do agree with you on the cowl as well, the RoG does not capture the shape as well as Hasegawa. If you could combine the best features of both kits you'd have a nice little Wurger.

While I'm waiting for the Future to dry...

Every 1/72 kit seems to come with the old SC 250 bomb, nothing real exciting. The AB 250-2 appears to be a fairly common load out for the 190F.

image113.jpg

Time for a little modification. I've started out with an SC 250 and sawed off the nose and trimmed the fins down. After filling in the hole with putty I've dipped the nose in a puddle of super glue to give it a bulbous appearance. Some fin struts were made from stretched sprue. More to come...

ab250.jpg

Futured and decals applied. This appears to be a field applied paint job, wing crosses and Hackenkreuz were subdued and the fuselage crosses appeared to be carelessly masked, or not masked at all. The Allies had complete air superiority in Italy by this point in the war so great pains were taken by the Luftwaffe to conceal aircraft on the ground.

DSCN0008.jpg

DSCN0007.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I had a disaster with the original so I had to start from scratch. Yes, that's right this is the second one. :deadhorse1: Had to order a new set of decals and all.

I decided to make the mottles a little larger and darker this time, I think I went a little too far but overall I'm reasonably happy with it.

Panel line wash and flat coat applied.

DSCN0127.jpg

DSCN0125.jpg

Edited by The Mikester

In a strange twist of fate, the Hasegawa 190 has a two piece canopy and virtually no cockpit detail, the Revell 190 has a nicely detailed cockpit and a semi translucent one piece canopy. Go figure. :tumble:

Of course Tamiya got it right on their A-3, two piece canopy and a nice cockpit.