UH-1 A,B,C,D,E,F,H,M,N,V,Y,Z Huey's

Excellent thread, one of my favorite aircraft!!!!

Hey jinxx1 you posted a pic of a Phantom over in that thread that was on a pole and I thought it looked like the one in Big Springs, your pic of the Huey here convinces me of it!!!!

The Vietnam Memorial in Big Spring is well planned, with the F-4E, UH-1 and AH-1 all in the air and the M60A3 on the ground.

Here is 74-22436 at Holloman this past Saturday.

UH-1H74-22436WSMRHollomanOct072.jpg

UH-1H74-22436WSMRHollomanOct074.jpg

66-1168 and 66-16329 out front of the Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles in Lexington, Nebraska.

UH-1D66-1168LexingtonNEAug071.jpg

UH-1H66-16329LexingtonNEAug072.jpg

Here's a couple Huey Gunships in museums right now. First one is UH-1C/M 64-09430. She served with the 174th AHC, 2nd Signal Group, 119th AHC, and 11th CAB in Vietnam and now resides at the Pima Air & Space Museum in Tucson, AZ.

IMG_0537.jpg

Next, we have UH-1C 66-15186 that served with the 114th and 175th AHCs in Vietnam armed with rockets and 40mm chunker. She currently resides at the USAF Armament Museum at Eglin AFB, Florida and is in a completely bogus paint scheme. No way for a Combat Veteran to be dressed up!

IMG_2027-1.jpg

This next one is a bit of a conundrum. She's wearing the tail number for UH-1B 63-8632, but that aircraft was destroyed in Vietnam on 19 April 1965. According to the museum, she is actually a TH-1L.

P1010033-1.jpg

And lastly, this is one of the birds in the Ft. Rucker collection.

PICT0067-1.jpg

Anybody got pics of that Huey on a pole in southern Alabama? I can't remember what highway it's on but I must have driven by that thing 200 times going to visit my grandparents in Montgomery. It's at a rest stop I think.

Matt

Here's a couple Huey Gunships in museums right now. First one is UH-1C/M 64-09430. She served with the

Next, we have UH-1C 66-15186 that served with the 114th and 175th AHCs in Vietnam armed with rockets and 40mm chunker. She currently resides at the USAF Armament Museum at Eglin AFB, Florida and is in a completely bogus paint scheme. No way for a Combat Veteran to be dressed up!

IMG_2027-1.jpg

Yeah Jon, I saw that too and cringed! Will people ever learn?!? Great shots by the way. Rich.

UH-1F 65-7946 on display at Grand Forks AFB. I took this shot in September a few days before I PCS'd to Dyess. The display is nice enough but the landscaping in front of it has grown up tremendously in the 4 1/2 years I was there and it's hard to get a good view anymore except from the side.

100_3974.jpg

62-4588 is on display at the 45th Division Museum in Oklahoma City.

UH-1B62-4588.jpg

64-14005 on display at the Patton Museum in Ft. Knox.

UH-1B64-14005FtKnox1.jpg

73-21676 on diaplay at the Vietnam Memorial in Midland, Texas. The helo is placed so that it is "landing" to extract troops (statues) under fire.

UH-1H73-21676MAFOct051.jpg

Is it just me or is 652 above missing something? :cheers:

Jon

I wish it was missing that Improved Particle Separator and it was in Ozark, I could sure use it on the 'new' Huey at the foundation......hmmmmm.........road trip

Edited by chopperpilot71
alright you huey experts, can anyone tell me what the difference is between the D and the H??

Hi olemanjoe, the differences between the D and the H model Hueys are not as crisply defined as some other aircraft, like say the difference between an F-4J versus a C, or a F4U-1 vs an F4U-4 etc. A lot a D models Hueys were converted to an H but still (sometimes) retained some of the D's features, and some were pure H's. Some of the most noteable changes was the reloctaion of the pitot tube from the nose to the roof, as well as relocating the pitot static vents, and a defferent version of the T53-L-13 eng and some subtle changes in the cockpit (again, sometimes). But overall, you somtimes have to really look hard to tell if she's a D or H! Rich.

uh-1huey001.jpg

UH-1H 66-16610, 1157th Avn Co(Attk Hel), later Co D, 40th Avn Bn, CO-NG, circa 1976

That is one of the coolest Huey pics I've seen! Love it! Looks like he's got some twisting going on in the tail boom indicating he slammed that thing into that turn! sweeeet

Edited by chopperpilot71
That is one of the coolest Huey pics I've seen! Love it! Looks like he's got some twisting going on in the tail boom indicating he slammed that thing into that turn! sweeeet

Friend of mine took this photo on our way back to Buckley ANG Base, I was riding the jump seat has crew chief at the time