Classic Airframes Reggiane RE 2000

Painted this Friday too:

RE2000001.jpg

RE2000002.jpg

I found Model Master Pale Green last weekend at my LHS, so I thought I'd try it on these builds. Accurate or not, at least it's different...

Ken

I'm just going for something I don't normally use on my builds. I generally use Model Master and Humbrol's RAF Interior Greens, which is whiter compared to this.

The fuselage went together without too much trouble (remember-it's Classic Airframes and I expect issues). The first real snag was the wings-the wheel well inserts were quite tall and I had to sand on both them and the upper wing to make clearance. It worked out tho (with a little 80 grit) and I'll seal it up yet tonight:

RE2000004.jpg

RE2000006.jpg

It's actually pretty good for a limited run kit.

Ken

Overdue update-was gonna post these yesterday but Photobucket was "down for maintenance"...:

RE2000010.jpg

RE2000008.jpg

As you can see, some gapping in the wings-seems like a short shot effect. They cleaned up OK tho:

RE2000012.jpg

RE2000011.jpg

So far, a "not bad" build experience. The lower wing was a little big for the opening but an aggressive nail file cleared that up:

RE2000013.jpg

I've seen plenty of pics of the RE 2000 before I started this build, but now I've noticed how reminiscent it is of the P-35 and even its P-43/P-47 successors. I was always drawn to the shape of the Reggiane tail I guess.

I'll have to dig that Hobbycraft/Academy P-35 kit out sometime... :blink:

Ken

(the edit)-BTW, the engine was typical Classic Airframes-too big for the cowl when the cylinders were prepped to look "just about right". I had to sand the rockers down to make it fit. Hard to tell with the lack of clearance. Next time, I'll get them just a little too much... ;)

Edited by WymanV

The cylinders were pretty nice-nice detailing on the rockers I had to sand down :pray: The crankcase wasn't much tho, and I skipped pushrods for lack of reference. I can squeeze them later if I'm ever up for it:

RE2000.jpg

It'll get touchup after the rest is painted :yahoo:

Ken

Started the paint on this Friday:

RE2000014.jpg

I didn't notice the stripe on the fuselage goes over the canopy framework too. So I'll get the canopy fitted this weekend, paint the framework, paint the white stripe, mask it off and tackle the mottling. A bit of a handfull, but it should be worth it in the end (so long as I don't drop it...).

Ken

And the top is done-heavy on the overspray again, but it'll have to do:

RE2000016.jpg

RE2000015.jpg

Bottom and clearcoat tomorrow. This'll give me three builds to decal for the long weekend :thumbsup:

Ken

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...