Here is the in progress on the first of two ANR Veltros. This one will be 22-2 from 2 Squadriglia 1 Gruppo Caccia done in the herringbone scheme. The 1/48th Hasegawa kit goes together alright but needs a lot of finish work. Note that there is a tool mark just forward of the tail assembly where the molds are changed from the 202 to the 205 tail. It is very easy to miss this little step until the paint starts to go on.

Thanks for looking.

Dave

205wip1.jpg

205wip2.jpg

205wip3.jpg

I've got a reference or two from a book for a scheme like that and the scheme on the boxtop. I like the partially-applied grey too, but you can't beat herringbone!

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed something. The grey on the wings should extend in a narrow strip all the way back to the tail wheel, and forward between the oil coolers up to the prop.

Edited by Mark M.

Mark,

You are correct, sir. The original Macchi 205 scheme as shown by D'Amico and Valentini in "Camouflage and Markings of the Aeronautica Nazionale Republica" has the underside gray running along the fuselage.

The photos and profile of 22-2 in the same book seem to show that the herringbone patern is wrapped under the fuselage in the same way the earlier schemes were done. Hasegawa elected to show the scheme as a wrap around. After pondering the few photos for awhile, I went with the wrap around based on the idea that the factories may have been simplifying the scheme to save time.

The Hasegawa kit also has the markings for 5-22 with the Luftwaffe grays oversprayed on the herringbone scheme. Hasegawa shows the herringbone wrapping around with the grays leaving a strip of the herringbone showing on the underside of the fuselage. On this one, I'm electing to wrap the gray all the way under considering that the repaint was done in the field and I'm guessing that the painters considered the camo effect of the gray as well as finding it easier to overspray the bottom of the fuselage than leaving it.

Overall, there are some interesting schemes out there during this time period without a lot of documentation to work off from. I guess that's what is making this fun.

Cheers,

Dave

Just as a supplemental, I pulled up the resources I mentioned. They are scans from that really nice C202/205 book that came out a year or two ago. They were sent to me (scanned) by the book owner via e-mail for a project I was working on.

http://www.nakatomitower.com/herringbone_1.jpg

http://www.nakatomitower.com/herringbone_2.jpg

EDIT: I turned the IMG tags to links, because they are VERY big. Just click them and they should pop up.

P.S. They are of 22-2, no less! What a coincidence!

Edited by Mark M.

And an up date on the research. I dropped an email to Mr. Ferdinando D'Amico this morning asking if he could clarify the way 22-2 was painted. Had a very long and detailed answer back in just a couple of hours.

22-2 does indeed have the gray under surface per the plan view drawings. So, it's off to the work room in a bit to add some gray to the underside. At least there is not anything in the way that will have to be redone to correct the paint scheme.

It is a really nice to get such a quick and informative response from a noted author.

Progress up date, hopefully, later today.

Cheers,

Dave

In the original post you say "this is the first of two," but I was wondering if you might take on the "5-3" as shown on the box art, for the second? I love the scheme, but I'm 110% sure I could never pull it off effectively

:whistle:

Here is the up date for today. The decals are finished. Using the new Hasegawa decals was an interesting experience. The decals are very, very thin and the edges tend to want to curl under when applied. Made for some interesting moments.

The under side paint has been corrected as described by Mr. D’Amico. Still needs a bit of touch-up but basically done. Just need to get started on the final assemblies and get everything together.

And yes, Mark, the other 205 in progress is 5-3. That one is just too good to pass up.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Cheers,

Dave

205wip4.jpg

205wip5.jpg

205wip6.jpg

Might I ask which colors you used for the green/brown and the tan? As I mentioned I did a project a while back (it was a photoshop project) and I had to do a lot of back-and-forth until I found suitable colors to replicate this. I'd like to know what you used, as well.