First F-15 Kai

Hey all.

Here's a nice view of the first of two Kai machines expected this year in Komatsu AB (note the modified missile wells and the missing 'hole' behind the canopy) delivered last month to 306SQ.

The bird is seen today on an engine run-up, as JASDF Eagles are still grounded.

Cheers

Edited by tengu

Nice shot Tengu, thank you.

I thought that F-15 kai would have had an antenna on the right fuselage horn and reinforcements on the radome but I can't see neither in the photo. Was I that wrong? If so what is the fortcoming Wolfpack resin kit for?

TIA

Paolo

I thought that F-15 kai would have had an antenna on the right fuselage horn and reinforcements on the radome but I can't see neither in the photo. Was I that wrong? If so what is the fortcoming Wolfpack resin kit for?

TIA

Paolo

Hi, Paolo.

You're right. 948 has been modified to the first Kai prototype (F-15J 928) standard, ie, without the new EW system being tested on the 2nd prototype (F-15J 942) wich includes 'electronic bulges' on the fuselage sides and twin tail antennae.

I suppose 948 wil get those in time in that continuous J-MSIP programme

:thumbsup:

Edited by tengu
Nice shot! :whistle:

What does the kai-programme encompass?

In short:

-new radar ( AN/APG-63(V)1 )

-new central computer

-new data-link system (to share info with both the E-767 and E-2)

-new EW system (including J/ALQ-8 Kai en J/APQ-1 Kai systems)

-new AMRAAM missiles (AAM-4; wells are modified to hold them)

There will be changes inside the cockpit too, with displays for both the data-link and EW systems.

Other items intended for the bird include an IRST system and AAM-5 IR off-boresight missiles (linked to one of those ugly helmet mounted sights).

There's budget for 32 such machines being refitted by 2008.

Cheers

:wub:

BTW, for those interested in JASDF Eagles, looks like 303SQ is getting a 'new' unit marking. The grey background on wich the dragon is painted (in the shape of a '6') is being erased

Edited by tengu
BTW, for those interested in JASDF Eagles, looks like 303SQ is getting a 'new' unit marking. The grey background on wich the dragon is painted (in the shape of a '6') is being erased

I eagerly await the first pictures of the new 303sq markings!! :whistle:

Damn, that was the best unit marking in JASDF :)

Damn, that was the best unit marking in JASDF :D

Still looks very much the same (I like the earlier one better :D -I mean the dragon head-)

BTW, it seems that the crash of the F-2B at Nagoya has been traced to a wiring mistake and the type will resume fly in short time

Edited by tengu
Thanks, tengu! :)

Will they also get the uprated engines at some point?

Over the years JASDF Eagles have been getting license-built F100-IHI-220E DEEC (Digital Electronic Engine Control) engines to replace the original ones as they are overhauled (I believe this is the J-MSIP 5). This should be the engine powering the Kai as no 'new' engine is included in the programme.

Here's a pic of 2nd prototype (note 'bulges' on intake and tail antennae)

Cheers

:wave:

Edited by tengu
  • 3 years later...

Hi ... Just a short question ... I know that the original quite ambitious F-15J-Kai update project has been cut considerably (no operational IRST, downdraded (?) EW(ECM-suite, ...) but is there any open info avaiblable about what was left in that upgrade, how many were converted or planned to be ... ??

Thanks in advance,

Deino