Ultralights Park Here

:D I shot this Skyfox at Maitland. It's one of the crop of ultralights becoming popular here because of their lower construction or purchase costs and also if the owner builds 51% of his own aircraft and has a licenced aircraft maintenance engineer certify the build at each stage he can register the aircraft under the auspices of the Recreational Aviation Association of Australia (RAAus). Basically this means that the pilot can fly his/her aircraft on a car driver's licance after showing RAAus instructors that he/she has the competence, attitude and skill to fly an aeroplane. There are many different types that fall into this category. You can buy the same aircraft from the factory but it must then be registered with a VH reg and you have to have a full PPL to fly it.

IMG_0673.jpg

:coolio:,

Ross.

You can buy the same aircraft from the factory but it must then be registered with a VH reg and you have to have a full PPL to fly it
If the MTOW is less than 600kg, then it qualifies as an ultralight, and doesn't need the VH- registration. The 2 Jabiru J-160's at Lilydale are factory built (and the price is coming waaaay down for some) and carry 24- registration. They're also fun to fly once you get used to them... :coolio: Do it, Ross, you know you want to......doitdoitdoitdoitdoit!!!

:D G'day damo,

I'll have to wait to see if I get a full time permanent job at the hospital in the New Year, but you're right, I do want to do it again. I've been an emu for far too long now, I want to become at least a pelican or albatross. There's no way with my girth that I'd qualify as an eagle these days. And yes you're right about the AUW, I'd forgotten about that. What does it cost to fly the Jabiru down your way. It costs $140 per hour to fly the RNAC's Texan. That's only $50 less than training in the club's two C152s.

Ross.

Hey Ross..Dual rates on the Jabiru are $187/hr and $110/hr Solo. I've started an account with the flying school (read I gave them a wad of cash) and that qualifies me for a weekday discount of 10%...trouble is, I haven't had the time free during the week to take advantage of it yet. :cheers: There are other costs involved - you'd have to join the RAA as a student pilot ($160), and if you're going for an unrestricted licence, you need your VTC, ERSA, WAC and ERC(Low). I've spent about another $60 or so on maps. It's a big initial outlay if you want to fly weekly - and it's probably worth doing that until you do your test - then the trick is to keep flying on a regular basis. Once I've passed my test, I intend to do a couple of hours a month and put some more $$ together to get my PPL medical up to date, then the BFR. Longer term, I want to get my CPL - maybe I'll never use it, but it was what I set out to do to begin with - and I'm giving serious thought to getting my RAA instructor certificate. The one thing I will do - whether Rec or PPL - is take part in the Royal Victorian Aero Club's annual Battle of Britain Day Dawn Patrol as a pilot instead of a passenger. This takes place on the closest Saturday to September 15th, and usually involves around 100 aircraft of varying types, including Tigermoths, Winjeels, Nanchangs, 1/3 Scale Spitfires, and the usual GA aircraft. At first light, they take off and fly a route that takes them over the Shrine of Rememberance and around Port Phillip Bay. This is followed by a breakfast at the clubhouse, and some interesting guest speakers. One time there was an ex-Luftwaffe WW2 fighter pilot (I forget his name)..

Good luck with getting a full time position, Ross...that Texan looks too good not to fly! :D

Edited by damo

:) Nice shots Damo. I have some of the Jabiru J-170 that has replaced the Texan at RNAC. I found out yesterday that the Texan was on cross hire from another owner and has been replaced by the Jabiru J-170 and a Gazelle. As far as I know the club has bought the Jabiru but I think the Gazelle may be on some kind of cross hire or dry hire arrangement. I also have some pics of a visiting J-160C Airline with the glass cockpit at Maitland on Boxing Day. I'll upload them tomorrow or Near Year's Day.

:D,

Ross.

I can't take credit for any of those photos - I gave the camerea to a mate of mine and told him to go nuts with it. 458 photos later.... :coolio:

I haven't seen any pics of a Jabiru with the glass cockpit....can't wait to see them. Pity about the Texan -- that's a nice looking aircraft. Those photos you took look relly good with the way the light is. The second one looks like a spotlight's trained on the cockpit.

:yahoo: Well damo, you've only yourself to blame. You did tell your mate to go nuts with your camera, he was only doing what he was told. The light on the Texan was from a window of the hangar and it was just luck that placed the aircraft and me where we were at that time. But, that's what photography is all about, being in the right place at the right time. Sometimes that can be orchestrated, sometimes it just happens that way. In this case it was a bit of both, I planned to go to the airfield, but I didn't know what I'd find when I got there.

Ross.

;) A couple more to add. The first one is a Jabiru J160 Airline that visited RNAC Brisbane on Boxing Day to refuel. This one has a glass cockpit and is used to get aspiring airline pilots used to the type of instrumentation they're likely to find in modern airliners.

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

Above is the J160 Airline's cockpit. Very neat and tidy. The next one is the RNAC's new Jabiru J170. This one has a standard cockpit.

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

Cheers,

Ross.

Here are a few shots of my Dad's old Mitchell Wing A-10. Excuse the B&W images. I was in photo school at the time and that's about all I was shooting. These pics were taken so he could sell it after he crashed it on landing (scary pitch and stall characteristics, apparently) hence the patchwork on the body shell and no propeller. I'd love to do one of these as a scratchbuild project someday.

2003789953293143458_rs.jpg

2003700755647543196_rs.jpg

2003796757680337539_rs.jpg

2003717633230846749_rs.jpg

2003794171572696530_rs.jpg

2003724790960790267_rs.jpg

:thumbsup:

:blink: Nice shots Mark. B&W for me has something old world about it. I'm hoping to do a freelance photography course later this year, and B&W photography and learning how to develop your own pics is part of the course. If you have more shots of lighties and ultralights in B&W please share them with us.

:),

Ross.

• 3 years later...

:worship:, G'day franky,

We'd love to see some Zenith pics. What kind of flat six does it have, a Jabiru 3300 120hp? A neighbour of mine has a high winged Zenith that he built in his garage. It has a Rotax flat four engine, not sure of the horsepower though. It's now at Luskintyre so next time I'm up there I'll try and get some shots of it although it may not be finished as yet. He spends a fair bit of time away, both in Australia and overseas with his job.

:whistle:,

Ross.