Corsair II Parking

A nice reserve A-7B in 1979.

A-7B154538VA-204ELPMay792.jpg

And a couple of days later after an "OOps, there went my career!" move that happened the next day.

A-7B154538VA-204ELPMay793.jpg

I missed seeing that accident by minutes, but came upon the scene shortly after. The photo was taken the day after the accident while the airframe was being recovered.

Here are a couple shots of one of the A-7Ds around Des Moines, Iowa. This is the gate guard for Camp Dodge, a national guard camp that houses the state's police academy.

campdodge06043.jpg

I was in training back when I was a cop, and during one of the breaks from the class, I could hear the Chinook's blades, so I was glad I had my camera with me. But then, what should this Chinook be carrying? The camp's gate guard, fresh back from the paint shop!

campdodge06049.jpg

This is that gate guard, shortly after getting set down by the CH-47. As you can see, the harness is still attached to the A-7.

I'll post more when I get a chance. Including the one on the stick with the, er... interesting loadout on it :worship:

jb

Yep- it was pretty badly faded on top of that stick, so you can see why they painted it. That's a neat little park at the top of the hill, with the tanks right behind where you took the pic from.

Have you been down inside the camp where their museum is? A UH-1, AH-1, some armor pieces, a Mk.20 Rockeye, and an F-84.

jb

Yep- it was pretty badly faded on top of that stick, so you can see why they painted it. That's a neat little park at the top of the hill, with the tanks right behind where you took the pic from.

Have you been down inside the camp where their museum is? A UH-1, AH-1, some armor pieces, a Mk.20 Rockeye, and an F-84.

jb

Yeah, I went to the museum on the post and took some pictures during the IPMS Plastic Surgeons contest last year. They have a very nice collection and behind the museum, they had some captured Iraqi armored vehicles in the open.

Edited by Johnopfor

Here's a couple more from the great state of Iowa:

campdodge06051.jpg

This is another view of the one dropped off by the Chinook.

campdodge06061.jpg

Here's me (much more chubby than now) in front of the A-7.

a7altoona001.jpg

And this one... ;) It's on a stick at a park in the city of Altoona, just a few miles east of Des Moines. I'm not sure who concocted this loadout, but it seems they have sidewinders everywhere but the rails intended for them... weird.

jb

Where's 75-403 now?

Still there- it was off the stick to get repainted, and then they brought it back (which are what the photos are), and now it's back on top of the stick, at the top of the hill over Camp Dodge.

There's another one down at the Des Moines Airport, and then the one in Altoona.

There's A-7s all over the place around here! Oh, how I miss the sound of those babies.

jb

Here are a couple of somewhat rare shots of the prototype YA-7H parked next to the only TF-8A. This was at Navy Dallas in July 1973. I was a production acceptance test pilot at the LTV Navy office at the time. As I recall LTV was trying to sell both aircraft to the Philippines and were conducting demonstration flights. As far as I know this is the only time the two two seaters were together. A similar picture from this batch was printed in Volume 10 of the International Air Power Review but the location was incorrectly identified as Pax River.

YA-7HTF-8A-1ss.jpg

YA-7HTF-8Ass.jpg

Edited by fliermike