C-141 Starlifters

I never crewed the C-141 but I "dead headed" (ACM) on a few and loaded a bunch of them when I was an Air Lift Control Element Loadmaster. The "A" model on a cold day and an empty cargo compartment would rocket off the ground. It was America's first jet airlifter and the backbone of Military Airlift Command's Strategic Airlift Fleet for many years. It was a sad sight to see them being cut up at DM. I will miss the sound of those TF-33 engines running and those electric hydraulic pumps that ran the petal doors. The "T-Tailed Sub Sonic Bug Sucker" will be missed!

Here is a shot I took at McChord AFB in the mid-1990's at their air show. They were launching so a bunch of Rangers could parachute down.

C-141BStarlifters.jpg

Edited by ipms33206
  • 3 months later...
A couple pics I took at Kadena about 1984.

Hey TXTOM,

Thanks for the photos! Reminds me of the time I spent over on Okinawa. I was stationed at Torii Station with the US Army INSCOM from September 1983 to March 1985. I spent a bunch of time on Kadena and a lot of that on Habu Hill taking bad photos! Some time I'll have to find them!

Mark

Hey TXTOM,

Thanks for the photos! Reminds me of the time I spent over on Okinawa. I was stationed at Torii Station with the US Army INSCOM from September 1983 to March 1985. I spent a bunch of time on Kadena and a lot of that on Habu Hill taking bad photos! Some time I'll have to find them!

Mark

You're welcome, Mark. I was NDI/JOAP in the 18th at Kadena, 83-84. I started a FOTKI account a few months ago for Auto Racing pics, and have now started to add my Aviation stuff to it. Once I find a good slide scanner, I got hundreds more to add, and that includes my Father's stuff from his career. I will be posting more on various threads in the coming weeks.

• 2 years later...

Holy thread revival Batman! Here's a shot of '"Memphis Belle" 5' from the 164th AW -- Tennessee ANG, Memphis (obviously!) -- I took at the 134th ARW open house/airshow in 2000. I know I have more 141 photos to follow!

Mark

141Belle52000.jpg

Photos taken by me at Grant County Int'l Airport, Moses Lake, WA around 1980. This is the former Larson AFB, and I grew up on that old base. The 62nd MAW (now AW) out of McChord has used this airport for YEARS! As I recall, this was a pretty big exercise, and had Army units involved. I remember that the USAF crews took every hotel room in town, and the Army guys pitched tents in every available empty lot on the old base! So what did I do three years later? Join the frickin Army! Okay, I ended up in the USAF, so that's alright!

Mark

1MLW141.jpg

2MLW141.jpg

3MLW141.jpg

Lovely aircraft!

I remember getting to poke around one during a tour of McChord AFB in 1987.

They gave us a tour of a maintenance hangar where they had a Starlifter in partial dismantlement for some reason.

They let us go up some scaffolding and look down on the aircraft from up around the horizontal stabilizer, quite an unusaul perspective.

They also had a couple of the engine pods opened up and we could se the engines being worked on.

Really makes me wish I'd had a better camera at the time, it didn't cope well at all with the hangar lighting.

183rd TFG deployment to RAF Finningley in 1982. Photos taken from inside the bus that took us back to the aircraft to get personal items left onboard when we were ordered to quickly exit.

C-141.jpg

Cut that corner a wee bit too tight, eh? Hopefully the No 4 engine didn't suck up an intake full of sod.

I really like that old MAC white & grey scheme. Looks classy.